Lean Time Tips........Bring 'Em!!

F

flutterbee

The best prices I've found on the new light bulbs has been at Home Depot. Way cheaper than Walmart. Some stores now - hardware stores, especially - have buckets where you can drop off your used bulbs and they will recycle them. Some cities have facilities that accept them, but very few.

I never turn my computer off unless I'm going to be gone. It may use more power, but it's hard on the computer. I could maybe save $20 a month, but would have to fork out money for a new computer within 2 years. My son is using my old one and it's running great at almost 7 years old. I have a free and very good firewall program (comodo) and have a free anti-virus, spyware program offered by my internet company. I'm also fairly computer savvy and keep them clean. Typically the problems with computers is the user. :tongue:

I do unplug kitchen appliances, but that's just because I have a fire phobia and a house with old wiring and plugs with no grounds. Even my built in dishwasher is on a switch.

I shop sales. Christopher & Banks moves their inventory to the back (clearance) every couple of weeks. I just bought this season fall clothes from their clearance rack. One top was originally $35.50. I got two tops for $25.00. Check out their website for sales. Always tons and tons of stuff. Good quality, classic styles and great prices.

Buy on sale always. Using more and more store brand items...even things like facial cleanser which always had to be name brand before. Kroger brand works just as well. Just check active ingredients to see if it's comparable. And Lisa is right. Kroger peanut butter is really good.

We get a gas discount for shopping at Kroger. You spend so much and you get so much off 4 fill ups a month at the Kroger gas station. This month we have $.50 off, plus another $.10 since Devon is an employee. I filled up my tank today for $22.00. I haven't done that in ages.

When the conditioner won't come out of the bottle, I just add water to the bottle from the shower, shake and use it that way til it's gone. I can usually do that for at least 4 or 5 more uses, sometimes more.

And I might just have to break Devon's fingers if he doesn't stop leaving lights on. I get up in the morning and both overhead kitchen lights are on, plus the hall light. Everyday. I think he gets the powerbill this month.

I used to be really bad about eating leftovers - kids, too. We are all eating leftovers for lunch and/or snacks now (especially since I so rarely cook anymore). Leave the oven door open in the winter after done baking.

Flannel sheets and flannel jammie pants in the winter. Just got some really cute ones at Walmart today for $8.00 a pair. I did use the A/C almost everyday PLUS the ceiling fans because I've been so damn hot. Felt like I was gonna melt.

The one thing I will not waiver on is kitty litter. I got a different brand this time because it was on sale and....ugh. With 4 cats, good kitty litter is important. I do buy the large 18 pound bag of cat food and get the store brand version of the Purina. So much cheaper.

goldenguru

Heat stays down until the house reaches 62. Yes it's chilly. We own lots of sweatshirts.

One big saver that no one mentioned is making my own laundry soap. Not such a big deal now that the kids are gone - but it is a big savings. (I always double this recipe)

1 bar Fels Naptha laundry soap
1/2 c. borax
1/2 c. washing soda (NOT baking soda)

Run the bar soap through the food processor until it resembles a fine powder. Add borax and soda. Use 1 Tbs. for medication/not heavily soiled clothes. 2Tbs. for larger, really dirty clothes. Also, if the load is really dirty I add 1/2 c. borax to the wash. Add 1/2 white vinegar to the final rinse instead of softeners.

It is safe for HE washers and saves lots of money.

Pam R

Daisylover

Yup, I've done quite a bit of canning, and am now learning the old way of preserving. BUT I've never used a pressure canner, though I have 2. Never could find someone to teach me, but I figured if push came to shove, I'd do it on my own.

ATM, I just freeze everything that requires a pressure canner.

Anytime you want info, I'd be glad to share. :))

Pam R.

Pam R

SRL,

I use hay mulch on our garden. It cuts weeding and watering immensely. Almost all of my jars and lids and rings have come from tag sales. You can buy a whole new box from .50 - $2. I've probably got 50 dozen.

I've got a gas stove, 6 burners, $75 at a tag sale. So cost is low. I do the canning during to cool of the day, if I can. But having a garden is not cheaper that supermarkets. BUT it can be far more healthy, if you practice sustainable and organic gardening. Besides, it doesn't get more local than that. :))

Regarding clothes, I did have things that did not fit when the time came. Or he would not wear. But at .25-$2 for an item, it was not a big loss. And until he was about 14, it was wear it or go bare. LOL After that, he'd just wear 1 set of clothes until they could walk on their own. Sigh.

Again, it may be cheaper in the short run to eat cheap food, but I've found out the very hard way, it's not cheaper in the long run. Especially with kids. For most of the last 20 years, it's been about cheap food.

But that cheap food has contributed majorly to most of our mental and physical illnesses. So next to our mortgage, acquiring the very best food we can has become a top priority. Of course we keep the cost as low as possible (I did mention a single disability income?), but our overall health has improved dramatically over the last 9 months, with better food.

Pam R.

Pam R

I did know that about the flourescents. They seem to seldom burn out compared to the standards, but will go to recycle when they do.

Regarding beef: industrial raised beef has a very bad balance of Omega 6:12's - 1: 12. Grass fed has the best balance: Omega 6: 12 - 1:2 ratio. So while spending $2/lb. for beef sounds good, it can seriously affect your health.

Freecycle is great. But our local one has grown to 7000 members and it's really hard to get anything now. :(( But it's GREAT for getting rid of stuff. :))

We've composted and recycled things for decades, because we have to pay $2 a bag for trash. The compost makes lovely stuff for the gardens, if done right. :))

Kitty litter here is just sawdust. We use sawdust for the barn animals and bring a feed bag up to the house for the house cat. A little lime sprinkled in the bottom keeps the smell away. VERY cheap. Disposal? Well, ours we dump over the bank and it turns to compost, but NOT any we use in the gardens. I expect this is only practical for rural folks.

Pam R.

ctmom05

I am really enjoying this thread. so cheerfully entitled
Lean Time Tips........Bring 'Em!!
- sometimes my own well of creativity runs dry and it is refreshing to hear the ideas of others :)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Heather Devon can now get you 20 cents off per gallon of gas at kroger. So now the whole family is using Travis' card and he's racking up kroger points right and left. lol Which adds to the savings. In with his paycheck comes the kroger specials for employees. These are often very good, especially the meat ones. It's also posted in the break room. Travis has learned if he wants to eat well to check these. lol

I'm still shocked I got out of there last time with canned goods, fresh fruits, and meat for 100.00 because I had quite a cart full. Good thing too as I still had dog and cat food to buy. Which is store brand as it's cheaper.

Nichole is taking a coupon I got from Iams from online to walmart to get a free 10 lb bag of their new dog food. I have 2 more coupons but they can't be used together. lol I sign up for free samples of dog and cat food and treats on the web. Sometimes it's only a single serving but it does help.....alot.

I *think* Susie got me the online links but I'm sick this morning and have a whopping headache so my memory is squat. lol But I use her online links for free samples. The kids used to laugh at me, now I get them for them as well. I even have stuff sent to K and the kids. lol

F

flutterbee

Lisa, Devon doesn't get the coupons with his paycheck. :( We do get some in the mail addressed to him, but we haven't had any for meat. :(:(

That day that you told me that Kroger employees get a 20% discount on meat, we didn't have that. I made him check with everyone including the store manager and they knew nothing about it. They must set up these programs on a regional basis.

nvts

But if I trade both my kids in for hamsters, who will take care of the hampsters and clean the cage?

Oh, you guys are slipping! We're brainstorming to save - sell the babies for .25/a piece to desperate parents for Christmas presents. Sell ALL the video games and "How To Deal With Your Kids" books and buy a hamster wheel and teeny-tiny generator. Hook the generator up to your reading lamp and save on electricity.

I should patent this...I'll make millions...

Beth

Star*

call 911........call 911
I would like to bid on my neice BECAUSE I WUV HER....YESH I DOoooooo coochie coochie coo.......

:redface: A BETHZILLION DOLLARS.

DDD

I can't think of much to add. Lots of the ideas are great. The only two that haven't been mentioned:

1. The grocery stores put a discount tag on all meats that have a "sell by
date" coming up soon. Around here it is two days before that date when
all packages get a price reduction. Without exaggeration over 50% of my
meat purchases are those items. I never buy centercut lamb chops at full price or top quality steak. on the other hand, the freezer usually has both for special
dinners.

2. I have started cooking chicken livers again. (Yes, I know they are weird..lol) You can buy a container of fresh livers, fry them, saute onions,
make country pepper gravy & rice plus a green vegetable and feed four adults for less than a buck apiece!

3. I do multiple meal prep with ground beef. If I am making hamburgers, I
make a meatloag to freeze and cook the remaining ground beef to use with tacos or casseroles or sauces on another night. It saves time, electricity and aggravation...if not actual bucks.

4. Try cleaning your floors with white vinegar and water. It works.

DDD

Jena

hi,

wow great ideas.........

we have already scaled back as much as possible. unfortunately boyfriend and I both have V8 trucks on the road. needless to say the gas is insane, we are up to $3.25 here now.

we cut out dinner's out with the kids on the nights we have them all.
we cut down on our own date night and only go out for dinner once a mos. (it truly is the only thing we do, and if he's willing to pay i dont' want to give it up)
i buy only sale items when i food shop, i plan my meals around what it is i buy. i also use coupons every week.

i have been doing garage sales as of late in search of a new coffee table, his daughter sat on it and broke it yup we loved it but it's a goner.
i haven't bought anything new for myself in very very long.
i also decided to cut back on getting my hair cut, since i have no job now. ok let me just say i know how to cut hair learned years ago yet don't have a license, and cutting back on hair cuts bad bad idea!! lol i caught a glimpse today of myself and i could of screamed. i'm letting the blonde highllights grow out and the grey's coming thru!!

ok we don't pay seperate heating or electric it's included where we live (we don't own a house).

on weekends with kids i find free things to do with difficult child in the neighborhood ie, festivals, kite festival etc. there is alot to do in our town. yet most of time i wind up spending something unfortunately.

i buy cheap shampoo's and conditioners, when i worked i bought what i wanted i bought the good stuff.

we also haven't moved, we were going to rent a house at this point decided not to because of the economy, he was unable to sell the store tax hit was too hard and high so instead he's building up the business instead, he also cut back on staff yet hired a main person that cooks to free him up to work on building it up.

DammitJanet

Ohhhh chicken livers! Thanks for reminding me of a good cheap meal! I also buy my meats marked down. Normally here they seem to mark down on sunday mornings for some reason but I do find myself watching the packages so I can be in the store when they should go on sale.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ok. I eat some weird things. But I've never managed to make myself like chicken livers.:sick: Those go to the cats. lol

I also watch for the priced down meats. Good deals there. :D

4sumrzn

Heather ~ Kroger checks don't come with coupons, the employee "pay day special" & "quarterly specials" are printed on the check stub. The 20% off meat....almost came across as a "deal" to help out with all of the power outages/food losses after the blackout.

Everyone has given great ideas.

I drive husband's car when I have opposite work schedule to save gas. Take advantage of prescription coupons at Target, $10 gift card with new RX. Quit going to get my hair done....going natural. I am a couponer....big time & will go to 3 different stores (all same street) to get the best deal on loss leaders & sales. Trying to keep everything turned off when not in use. Thinking about dropping the phone service (we have 3 cell phones)...just bundled to save money & considering saving more (just nervous about it dropping it for some reason). Goodwill has become my favorite shopping place for clothes....wow! I used to go to garage sales faithfully...now every once in awhile because our local Goodwill has very nice clothing in one stop. Cook at home more. Started buying store brand items.

The big one.....we finally decided to stop saying "yes" when our friends ask us to go out. We say.....we can't afford to.

We have been doing many things to save more & it looks as if you all have mentioned many of them too.

Pam R

Haircuts:

When DS wanted a buzz cut, I was not going to pay for something I did not want to look at. So he bought a haircutting set and had husband buzz him. As DS and I were the only ones who got regular haircuts, husband became our haircutter.

My hair is hip length now and husband keeps it trimmed. husband's hair is long because he grows it to over 18", then gets it cut for Locks of Love, once every couple years or so. I trim his beard for him.

So that $30 investment 7 years ago has paid for itself many times over.

Pam R.

SRL

Years ago I bought a book that had natural alternatives for cleaning supplies. I wound up especially liking a spray cleanser. This wouldn't be for really deep cleaning but for everyday counter tops, appliances, and the like:

2 cups very hot water
2 tsp Murphy's Oil Soap
1 tsp borax
1/4 tsp washing soda

Because it doesn't contain preservatives it won't stay fresh for long periods so make it up in small batches.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I saw something on the news today about bent and dent grocery stores which sell salvage groceries (lots of reasons why) - I did find a statewide list - although I find it hard to believe that Ca only has about 5 listed, and nothing close. Thought I would share the link just in case there is a store near you

http://andersonscountrymarket.net/

Marcie

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Marcie my grandma and mom instilled in me to never, ever buy a dented can of anything. Food poisoning danger.

Don't know if it's true. But that's what I was taught............. Not that I mind dented or bent other stuff. :)