LEAP procedure before...harder to stay pregnant now?

BusynMember

My daughter needed the LEAP procedure several years ago. She was told she could get pregnant, but also that it may be harder for her to accomplish that. It took her two years, so it did take longer.

Is this a risk for miscarriage, if anyone knows? I want to both be prepared for myself, in case it happens, and for Julie so that I can give her the best mothering all along the way here. We are very close.

Thanks!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
MWM, how far along is she? That is going to make a difference in how she feels IF something should happen. However... From what I can find, the biggest risk is cervical incompetence, and if that looks like an issue her OB can put a stitch in... :wink: So I wouldn't worry.

susiestar

Roll With It
I had an abnormal pap before the leep method was used. They used either liquid nitrogen or a laser to remove the tissue back then. I chose the laser because it was a far easier recovery and because my body has always done strange things when cold is applied. This was not one of the factors they even considered when they told me that I could not get preg and if I did with in vitro or whatever, then I would not be able to carry a child to term. There were other things that were wonky with my system. They took out far more tissue with the procedure back when I had it done.

I have four kids. I did have a miscarriage but it was far too early for the procedure to have had any impact. ALL kids came a few years after being told that giving birth to a child was not an option for me. Finding out Wiz was coming was a HUGE shock. I did have some problems, but other than my body not going into labor without help, there really were not any problems that might even remotely be due to the laser procedure.

I ould think her risk of miscarriage due to the leep procedure is very very small. Of course you will worry a bit, but don't let it take over your life.

susiestar

Roll With It
Ugh. One of my least fave parts about being preg- seeing the OBGYN. Unless it was for an ultrasound or the part to hear the heartbeat, of course!

BusynMember

Yeah, well, they aren't fun to see...lol. However I felt very reassured when I did go and the doctor checked (wink...ugh) and then said, "This looks good. The baby is well placed."
Julie will be a doctor within the week. She has to check to see who is in her insurance network and wants to ask a few people who they liked. She is feeling ok though...no cramps...just morning sickness, which I call our kids getting back at us before birth.

svengandhi

I had the cryosurgery when oldest boy was about 5 or 6 months old. They told me not to worry about a missed period, so I didn't. They told me not to worry about a second missed period. By the third missed period, they did a pregnancy test. 6 months later, my beautiful daughter was born. When we counted dates, I was already pregnant at the cryo.

Good luck to Julie.

BusynMember

Thank you so much. So far, so good. She complains just of being tired and morning sickness.

She is very dramatic when she wants to be (she has gotten much better within the past five years, but still....) and her SO is also high strung. I expect a very spirited grandchild :) but, if all goes well, I can't wait to meet him or her!!