Learning Disability (LD)'s

flutterby

Fly away!
Are neuropsychologist evaluations the only way to identify Learning Disability (LD)'s? A friend of mine needs to have her 8 year old daughter tested and I know she cannot afford a neuropsychologist evaluation.

BusynMember

School evaluations can catch LDs. They aren't as good, but they're adequate when there is no other option. That's how my daughter was diagnosed first, and she was able to obtain good interventions.

smallworld

It doesn't have to be a full neuropsychologist evaluation to identify LDs. Educational testing, which is more like 3 hours rather than 6 to 10 hours, might suffice. A psychologist trained in educational testing can do the evaluation.

therese005us

In Australia we have a whole host of professionals able to diagnose LDs. For example, Occupational Therapists can do certain testing to aid with writing, language etc. We also have very good educational psychologists trained in the field of children's problems; sometimes you can tap into trainees at the University who are supervised by qualified professionals. I was able to get very good educational physio therapy for my ds this way, as I was willing for the students to 'study' my son, under the watchful supevision of the qualified/mentoring physio.
Just my tuppence worth.