Leave it to a difficult child husband...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
to screw up medications while I'm gone... :mad:

easy child and I came back yesterday afternoon from out little weekend away. I checked the medication boxes and found that difficult child 2 had NOT taken Saturday night medications. Then I found out he'd taken both his Sunday morning and afternoon medications together in the morning, which means he probably also took them together Saturday morning -- but actually it was likely NOT morning when he took them, because husband said difficult child 2 did not get up until 3:30pm on Saturday, because husband let both difficult child's stay up until 1am on Friday night. Saturday night they were up until 11pm (or, at least that's when husband said HE went to bed).

I pointed out the missed medications to husband (before I learned about the other issues) and his response was, "Well, he SAID he took them." :hammer:

I could have laid into husband hard over that comment because we've had the discussion ad nauseum about needing to actually SEE the difficult child's take their medications because we cannot rely on their word because they impulsively say whatever pops in their heads.

But I chose the path of restraint and made a mental note to 1. leave more explicit instructions for husband in my absence, and 2. follow up with a phone call to make sure it was done.

Needless to say, difficult child 2 was a wreck Sunday. Emotionally labile, loud, hyperactive, driven, incredibly impulsive, careless and disruptive and intrusive. Think Taz the Tasmanian Devil in terms of effect he had on his surroundings and the people in them. husband's solution was to sit on the couch and watch golf, totally unphased by his surroundings. Hellooooooooo! Anybody home? I went outside and found difficult child 2 playing with the embers in the fire pit that they'd used the night before, adding wood and stoking it into flames. :holymoly: Uhhh, NO! It is NOT OKAY TO PLAY WITH FIRE!!! He was mad at me for spoiling his fun.

Later, I'd asked him to take the garbage cans to the curb since it's trash day on Monday. He was cooperative and set out to take care of that for me (he IS a GOOD kid, just not a very aware kid). Apparently he saw a mouse in the can for garbage (we have one for landfill stuff, one for recycling and one for yard waste). So naturally, he proceeded to dump the contents of this 75 gallon can all over the yard so he could find and catch the mouse! The mouse predictably got away, which left a huge mess scattered everywhere for difficult child 2 to clean up. Which I had to TELL him to do, because once the mouse disappeared, he forgot what he was doing and wandered off to wreck havoc elsewhere!

After he got that cleaned up, he got in a fight with easy child (I can't even remember what it was about now) and I sent him to his room to cool off. While in there, he managed to lose his grip on a lizard that he'd taken out of its cage and it fell behind his dresser and died. Then, while he was moving his dresser to retrieve the lizard, his brand new basketball trophy fell and the top broke off. Meanwhile, he's screaming because the lizard is actually easy child's and he's upset because he knows she's going to be mad at him for killing it (albeit accidentally, but that doesn't matter to a 9yo) because this is the second lizard of hers that he's killed (accidentally) -- he never seems to injure/kill his own lizards. So lucky mom gets to try to manage a nuclear meltdown between the two kids and finally everyone cools off and we get the lizard buried.

Where was husband during all this? Sleeping.

There are other things that I learned happened that came close to being disastrous, but why dwell on what almost happened... I'm peeved enough about what did happen! :ashamed:

KTMom91

Wow. I'm tired just reading all you had to deal with in such a short amount of time. How can husband sleep through all that fuss and bother? Oh, yeah...he's a man.

On a happier note, how was the mission? Hope you and easy child had a great time!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Well it is all your fault for trying to leave the house!
Just proves to no-one but yourself and us that the darn place will fall apart without you!
And they will likely all hurt each other and kill all of the animals. If they ever wake up!
Sheesh, well did they at least do any of the dishes?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
When this happens to me, it makes me look back and wonder what on earth I was thinking back when I said yes....

Janna

Wow.

I'm really sorry. I think, for once, I'm speechless.

Is husband sleeping out back? I hear there are some very good tents on sale this time of year.

So sorry!!! It really stinks when you can't leave your difficult child with your husband!!! If your husband had to deal with what you had to deal with, I'm sure he would be much more careful and attentive when watching difficult child in the future:mad:!!!

I hope you can find a way to take some much deserved and needed time for yourself. WFEN

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm sorry you had to deal with all of this. Sounds like you handled it well. I would have about lost it with the garbage all over the yard! You deserve a nice warm bubble bath.

Andy

You can start a new book off the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" series. You can start it as, "If you give yourself a vacation ........ Then husband will agree to take care of difficult child ..... difficult child will forget his medications ......." It will be a best seller for CD forum members everywhere.

Sometimes you just have to sit back and shake your head, "Oh brother!"

JJJ

I've had that kind of night and I'm seriously thinking of putting husband in charge of easy child (she's in the doghouse with me right now too) and I'll take care of the two boys. I get home at 10pm and they are all still awake. He fed them dinner at 9:30pm!!!! Gee, I wonder why we'll have trouble getting to school in the morning.

My husband messes up the medications too, not as often as he used to, but often enough.

crazymama30

And that is why difficult child only gets morning and evening medications (just like his dad does) because otherwise who knows what would happen. I have to leave husband a note to take his morning pills or he forgets, and the same with the evening ones.

Sounds like a very interesting household. Hope it calmed down by now.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Sounds like a very interesting household.

Yup. Never a dull moment.

Funny you should mention tents, Janna... we've got one set up in the backyard for the past three weeks now. :D I bet the extension cord would reach out there for husband's CPAP...

JJJ, I've had nights like that before, too! One year I ended up hiring a sitter to come over, even though husband would be home, to ensure that medications were taken and kids were in bed at a decent hour. husband finally got the message, but I'm thinking he needs a refresher...

KTmom... the mission trip was fun but tiring. The marines who were staying down below us (we were in a base town) were VERY loud and drunk Friday night. And Saturday night, someone kept slamming a door at 3am. After about 20 minutes of this, I heard a guy pounding on the door and then some heated words were exchanged. By 4am all was quiet again, and then it started up again at 7:30am.

We spent a few hours exploring the mission and then I took easy child to the beach. I think she enjoyed that the most! And I did get to see her mood swings in action :surprise:, and I have to say that I'm a bit concerned about her. I'll need to keep a close on eye on this as puberty approaches. She reminds me SO MUCH of husband and the mood swings he went through before he went on medications...

Toto, yes, the dishes WERE done :) Because HE DIDN"T COOK ALL WEEKEND!!! What they did eat was on paper plates ;)

Susie, I've been letting a lot slide around here simply because no one does care. But now it's really starting to bug me, so I guess that means it's time for Spring cleaning!

Shari, yup, I've found myself wondering the same thing at times like that!

WFEN, I take my me time when no one is around... that's another reason my house is such a pit right now...

WO, I've learned to lower my standards and expectations. That's helped me tremendously at times like this.

Andy -- love the book idea :D Oh brother sums it up pretty well!