Leftover grilled salmon???

witzend

Not long. You might try mixing it with an equal part cream cheese, a bit of diced onion, and a drop or two of liquid smoke to make a salmon spread. That NEVER lasts around our house!

klmno

OK- thanks!! That does sound good and I have some good crackers here that I've been eating with brie cheese!

Last edited:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Witz is right. It doesn't stay good long in the refrig. I cook huge slabs of salmon, then freeze single-sized portions in quart ziploc containers. Later, they thaw easily in the microwave and still retain their original flavor. Yummy!

Suz

klmno

That's a wonderful idea, Suz! I like to only cook on the grill on weekends, unless I've had an easier than usual week at work and have the energy and time to do it thru the week. So when I cook on the grill and it's just me here, I try to put a couple of different things on so I'll already have meat cooked for a few days. I never knew (or even thought about) freezing grilled salmon, but I will certainly keep that in the back of my mind now. I'm waiting for the washing machine to cut off so I can throw something in the dryer then head off to the store. Thanks again, Ladies, for the great ideas!

klmno

PS- am I mistaken in thinking "brie" is pronounced as with a long "e" instead of with a long "i"??

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Yes, it's pronounced breeee- long e sound.

I love to cook on Sunday afternoons. I always cook more than I can eat in a couple of meals and freeze the rest for dinners during the week when I'm too tired to cook. Right now in my freezer I have single servings of meatloaf, salmon, and ribs in the ziploc bags. In the freezer containers that resemble rubbermaid I have chicken noodle soup, white chicken chili, and even twice baked potatoes. I usually have chunks of pot roast and gravy and home made lasagna frozen in single servings, too. All of these things freeze beautifully.

Suz

klmno

Yeah- that spread does sound delish!

Thanks for more suggestions, Suz! That's pretty much what I have done, too, except it seemed like I was falling in a rut of it being the same ole things, especially with difficult child not living with me. I love grilling on Sundays, too, since by then my kitchen is clean and I don't really end the weekend with a mess to clean up after. I like the frozen single portions for "easy" heat-n-serve lunches during the work week. I used to also use them when I didn't feel like cooking, or was sick, and difficult child and I were in the mood for different things for dinner. Now, they due a good job of being dinner for me with a salad. Especially when I make casseroles and it would be way more than I'm going to eat in one few-day period.

shellyd67

I just bought a nice salmon steak at the market. I plan on grilling it as well. If I have leftovers, I am definetly going to try that spread. It sounds delish !

crazymama30

I make salmon burgers with it. Add a few eggs (depending on how much salmon you have) a red onion or just an onion and crackers (I like ritz) and I also like to cook it in butter. Very very yummy. I never eat them on a bun, just plain.

graceupongrace

K,

I like to make salmon tacos with the leftovers -- just warm up the salmon and put it in a corn tortilla with some chopped cabbage, salsa and maybe some grated cheese. Another good one: salmon hash. Fry up some diced potatoes and onions, then chop the salmon and add it to the skillet -- just long enough to heat it through. Great with a poached egg on top or all by itself!

LittleDudesMom

Like Suz, I love to cook on Sunday afternoons, especially now that I am working. I cook for both the freezer and the fridge. Yesterday I premade a batch of thai chili couscous (to go with various dishes as my carb), made a curry tomato sauce that I will bake with cod filets later in the week (those filets are in the freezer to just pull out the day I want them), a batch of sloppy joes for difficult child to eat this week (he just scoops a little out of the dish and micros it then puts in on a roll), and some chicken with peppers and onions and pad thai type of sauce - that stays in the fridge and eat it cold with salad greens or warm in a wrap for lunch.

I eat much smarter when I preplan - it's also easy to just pull something out when you are tired in the evening!

As far as the grilled salmon, I would just crumble that on a salad - but when it comes to salmon, I'm a less added to it the better kind of person.

Sharon

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
As far as the grilled salmon, I would just crumble that on a salad - but when it comes to salmon, I'm a less added to it the better kind of person.

I'm a purist, too, Sharon. Salmon crumbled on baby spinach leaves with a a little Ken's Lite Balsamic Viniagarette...or Gazebo Room Lite Greek dressing.......perfection!

Suz

M

ML

I love my freezer. The trick is to label what you're freezing along with the date because you forget what it is after a while lol.