Let the winter roads begin! UGH

Andy

I hate winter roads and now I have to face them with Diva behind the wheel. O.K., she has been driving for about 5 years but each year brings a longer length of road beneath her tires.

She now has a two hour drive between collage and home. It is so frustrating that she doesn't have the sense to take that road when it is the safest when she has the option.

Today we wake up to icy roads - the talk of church this morning. By noon, the weather had warmed enough to melt the ice so driving during day light would have been just fine. But no! She has to wait until after dark when the temperature drops and the roads refreeze to head back for college tonight!! UGH!!!!

I called her at 7:30 to see if she had left yet (difficult child and I had gone to a 5:00 movie and she text me at 5:15 looking for gas money - another frustration over her lack of time management skills - she is learning the hard way that I am not always available at the drop of a hat!). She said she just crashed the car and was stuck. "Do you want me to come?" (She was still in town) "Yes". Then, "No, I didn't damage the car and I am moving again". She had slid through an intersection and was heading toward a stop sign. She stopped short of hitting it.

So, I am frustrated that #1 she waits until it is dangerous again to head out (She had ALL day to get her butt down to college before the roads refroze), #2, she took back roads to get out of town (main roads were sanded and/or free of ice from the day's traffic) and #3, she took the longest way to the freeway. I am sure the freeway will be better with more traffic on it.

difficult child says that soon I will not have to worry because her boyfriend will get to make sure she is safe after they get married. But that is still this winter and next winter that I have to face. And, a mom never stops worrying about her child's safety.

Andy

Clarification, the "accident" happened BEFORE I called her (I was about ready to chew her out for answering the phone when it wasn't safe but fortunately asked first). She thought she was stuck.

She just called. It is one hour into the trip and the roads have improved alot.

She asks, "Since it has snowed, can I open the blue bag gift?" I told her to wait until after Thanksgiving. It is winter items for her kitchen and she needs to keep her Fall/Thanksgiving items up until after Thanksgiving.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Andy, I was thinking of you & yours this morning when I woke to ice & decided not to drive out to visit wm. In fact, foster mum told me she didn't want to see me at her door.

I'm glad Diva wasn't hurt in the accident. Only the young think they can beat an ice storm - keeping good thoughts for a wiser Diva before winter really hits us hard (okay harder).

Andy

Thank you!

Timer, I was thinking about you while sitting in a hotel in NE last weekend watching the winter weather going on in MN. Still can't believe we made it home without bad weather. 12 inches of snow for Minneapolis? 8 inches in a town West of there. Our travels took us even further West and not much sign of that snowfall on our way home on Sunday.

You have received a lot more snow than we have. I am heading down there for Thanksgiving with in-laws and then the next weekend for MN State High School Bowling tournaments. I hope the weather stays in my favor and I can bring you down some snow melting temps.

Diva made it to her apartment safely! :)

Ice is the scariest in my book!

Mattsmom277

Gosh I'm glad the roads improved and I do hope she gains some more sense about when to drive and not. You will always worry, you're her mom. I'm glad he arrived back to college safely.

Roads are bad here too, they've closed the highway from here to over an hour or more away and apparently there have been numerous accidents. Hope everyone is driving safe or sticking indoors if you all are getting this ice

DammitJanet

Kids have no concept of road safety. I remember being a teen driver and loving it when it snowed because we could go out to parking lots and do donuts in the snow...lol. Yeah, we were the only idiots on the roads! Those were the days.

Funny thing was, I learned to drive in the snow quite well and I lived in VA. My cousins live in Mass. and they werent as good at driving in it as I was...lol. When I was up there, I was always the one who drove.

KTMom91

I would be terrified, both as a mom and being the driver. I've never driven in snow, and have no idea what to do.

Glad she got home safely!