Let's remember...

witzend

Let's remember all of those innocents and heroes who gave lives seven years ago today. It still shocks me to the bone.

Let's also promise that we will never again be so insulated from the rest of the world that we won't see something like this coming.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I drove thru a small nearby town today and they had lined mainstreet with small flags about every five feet......brought a tear to my eye.........

mstang67chic

Going Green
I can't believe it's been this long either. And as horrible and tragic as it was, I'm still, to this day, amazed that it wasn't worse than it was.

klmno

Yep, I'm still appalled that they could pull this off- and that we still don't have the guy/people who planned it. I visited ground zero-took difficult child- a few years ago. It hit me harder then. Thanks, Witz and BBK for bringing this up-

Andy

difficult child told me this morning that if it was not raining out, he would put the flag at half mast. He is on flag duty at school this week so I bet he would have if they put the flag out. (two kids - a 6th grader and a 4th or 5th grader - put up the flags - at the beginning of the day and bring them in at the end of the day) I wish it was not raining - it would have been a proud moment for me to have people know that it was difficult child"s idea.

That was a hard day and many weeks, months, years to follow for many people. I am so thankful that it wasn't one hour later - Most people that would have been in the buildings didn't start work for another hour. The stories are amazing - so many heros.

I was watching coverage on a tv in a day surgery waiting room. As the coverage showed the 2nd plane hit and it was sinking in the first was not a freak accident, the electricity went out (a utility truck backed into something). The back up generators didn't cover t.v.s. The electricity came back on about an hour later as the doctor came out to tell me that difficult child was done and will be out soon. I didn't watch when difficult child was by my side so missed out of much of live news.

mstang67chic

Going Green
All of the flags around here were at half mast. One especially got me. There is a car dealership in the town I work that has a HUGE flag.

*From their website*

The flag measures 50 ft. by 80 ft.
The flag pole is 43 inches in diameter at the base.
The pole itself weighs 35,600 lbs.
The base contains 400,000 lbs. of reinforced concrete.

They had THAT flag at half mast. I knew it wouldn't be close but when I went by it today, it seemed as though it would have to be near the ground if there wasn't any wind. The picture on their site shows them raising it originally (it's a continuously flying flag) and if I counted right, it took around 15 people to do it so it wouldn't touch the ground.