Letter to difficult child'S Teacher

shellyd67

difficult child had a reading assignment last week on comparison studies. He chose two sports and listed all the differences between them. This was a rough draft and if I must say it was quite good. Writing has always been a struggle for him.

He received it back today from his teacher with x's all the way down the page, a few words circled and a angry or crazy face (?) drawn by his teacher.

I asked him what this meant?? difficult child said his teacher wanted different words used and he needed more detail.

husband and I made sure the instructions were followed and we guided difficult child through his assignment. There isn't much more detail he can add.

I have to say I am quite annoyed at the x's and face he made and no side notes on what he expected from difficult child.

husband and I decided the write a note back to him (right on the rough draft)

Dear Teacher.

After reviewing your instructions of what was required we are not sure what you are asking difficult child to do. And neither is difficult child for that matter.

Please make notes or allow difficult child to make them so he can remember just what has to been done.

Also, what is with the x's and angry face?

Please advise. Mr and Mrs.

The day is coming when I let this man have it ....

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Way To Go! I'll be interested to know what kind of response you get back (if any). Sounds like the teacher my be a difficult child in his own right!

Marguerite

I would have amended the last sentence to something less confrontational - "Could you please clarify those unusual symbols that look like an angry face? I'm not sure difficult child understands their meaning. We are unable to enlighten him either."

Then add, "We look forward to the opportunity to work with you to enhance difficult child's learning outcomes."

It's a useful phrase, classic jargon that has specific meaning to teachers.

Marg

shellyd67

Too late Marg, difficult child already left for school with note in tow. I slept on it and decided I was going to sent the note as is.

I have never written such a note and hope he responds to it.

We shall see ....