Lexapro approved for teens

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
12-17yo's.
This is an interesting article. Don't really know how I feel about the 2 trials they are basing this on? If I read this right?
It helped husband pretty well, for a short period.

We have not had to use an AD on K. It will be interesting to see how this goes.
Does anyone have their kids on this? If K was I would jokingly ask our psychiatrist for some of her kick backs... LOL ;)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29797423/

Last edited:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Is it an online article you can post the link to?

difficult child 1 has been on Lexapro for almost three years now and it's helped his anxiety quite a bit. Especially his needle phobia. I don't think it's managing it ALL, but he's functioning okay. I may need to take him back to a therapist for CBT to address whatever other issues he may have in this area -- we'll see after his neuropsychologist evaluation in a few weeks.

C.J.

When N* was 13, we tried Lexapro for depression/anxiety. Within a few days, she was hallucinating, seeing demons telling her they would kill her/me/others. Right around that time, there were published reports of higher incidences of suicidality among teens on anti-depressants (early 2004).

ER visit required, admitted to psychiatric ward, took off Lexapro (at my insistance) and hallucinations disappeared until she was put on a sleeping aid a year or so later- she didn't see demons, but it was still spooky.

She's very leery of medications now.

I don't discount that the Rx can be beneficial. My advice is watch closely for changes in behavior when a new drug is introduced.