life after medicatiing

lizzie09

lizzie
My 22yr old son witg PWS was put on Seroquel 3 x 25mg last Thurs and 500mg Epilim at night

I keep seeing one good day one bad day...no great change from previous episodes. I know the dose is small perhaps thats why.

His behaiviour is similar to a later stage in the previous episodes that went unmedicated...beginning to lose heart now in this medication working/

I am so fed up stuck in with him when there is so much to do but hes really not fit to send him into his day centre

His behaviour tis aftermnoon is bold and annoying

D oes the medication just mask the symptoms? I thought he might be balanced better after taking them....what a week!

jal

The therapeutic level for Seroquel is 800mg so it will take a while to get there. My difficult child is just working up to 300mg and I have not seen any major changes. I am sorry it has been a hard week for you - hang in there!

susiestar

Roll With It
It is so hard when you are trying to work up to a therapeutic level of medications. You want the medications to work and until they are at the right level they CAN'T. And that can be disheartening.

Don't give up on the seroquel. It takes time to get to the right amount. I don't know about Eplim, it isn't something I have heard of before, but many psychiatric medications take time to work - some up to 6 weeks AFTER you get to therapeutic levels.

So be as patient as you can. And remember - medications don't do it for you. They just help you to help yourself.

lizzie09

lizzie
Susiestar. I think Epilim is the same as Valporate or Depakote/

How could you possibly give 800mg?are there larger dose tabs?

It seems a huge anount. Maybe the doctor will work up to that, I just dont know...its scary when you are onto something so new. Hes really odd tonight and no better than when he was bad before with nothng to take

Jena

Hi,

My difficult child is on seroquel a low dosage as well, yet we are slowly working up now. I have learned from talking to others the other night that seroquel is an immediate "sedated" effect it's also great for anxiety which is the off label usage for the medication.

25mg. 3x a day is small for someone his size. my difficult child is now on 65mg. i belive it is i'm doing the cutting pills thing, we only had dose of 25mg. from last medication pick up.

it does take time.

hang in there. :)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Lizzie, Seroquel comes in higher dose tabs as well as extended release tabs. My difficult child 2 takes a 300mg and a 400mg Seroquel XR at bedtime. And since it only seems to last about 16 hours in him, he takes another 400mg XR at lunchtime.

I would think that you're not seeing the improvements you expected because he's not at a therapeutic level yet.