Life and times of J the nutter

Malika

Today:

J woke up (in my bed, don't ask...) saying "Oh it's the picnic!" They did indeed have a picnic, followed by gathering of all local schools and races - J, as he excitedly told me when I picked him up from the bus in the afternoon, was the winner of his group, overtaking EVERYONE!

Walked to school by himself (he has been doing this for about 3 months), after the customary fight because he didn't want to wear the (seasonably suitable) clothes I had suggested. I "won" in the end after having pulled out only three large clumps of my hair.

Came with me to the vet to have Pup's rabies injection (we are going to Morocco in a month's time and taking Pup with us) and sat on the table with Pup as she was being injected, stroking her.

Went roller skating afterwards by the river, holding out his arms and saying "I'm flying like the wind, I'm flying like the wind", coming back every so often to say things like "Cuddle, mummy!"

Spotted a huge dead animal that looked a bit like a cat though we weren't sure; as we were walking he stood stock still and said "I KNOW what it is. It's a flying squirrel!" Actually it was a huge water rat. As he was going to sleep tonight he said "Poor insec'!", meaning the rat.

In his shower got hold of a razor and shaved off a patch in the middle of his head which was bald and bleeding; I called him a nutter, semi-cross, semi-laughing. Later he said to me very seriously "Mummy you hurt my feelings when you called me a nutter and it's NOT GOOD!"

Now he is asleep, curled up with dog. Just another day in the Life and Times of your average ADHD 6 year old...

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
Oh dear. Can't help but laugh. How is his head? Is it is okay, cut wise? Will you now have to cut the rest of his hair to match?

buddy

I think I've lived something nearly like each of those episodes, but not in one day! Lol

Are you moving then?

Malika

His head is fine, thanks. The bleeding has stopped and, yes, tomorrow we will have to go and get his head shaved... Well, we are sort of moving, in this gypsy lifestyle. Going to Morocco for the next term and then staying the summer. J is really "behind" the little girls in his class who are all now reading fluently while he is still stumbling over syllables and not making any sense of what he reads. I've spoken to the principal of the French nursery he went to when he was three and he can return there for one term, in the class of the 5 to 6 year olds, where the children are learning to read but are at about the same stage as he is. Before we go I am going to visit some alternative schools in a different part of France - Montessori and Waldorf - and this is hopefully where we will return to in September. I am now quite certain that an alternative school is what J needs, from both an emotional and a learning point of view. The conventional school is clearly not working for him and is only going to get harder and harder, more and more constraining and unnatural to him. We were supposed to have a neuropsychological evaluation today but I had to postpone it. There are certainly learning differences going on. I just feel another style of learning will suit him much better.

susiestar

Roll With It
Both Montessori and Waldorf can be wonderful for kids. Wiz and J both thrived in Montessori. It is very much based on what the child is interested in, and it uses the child's own curiosity to allow them to learn, rather than forcing them to sit and do rote exercises and more traditional learning exercises that don't fit with many kids' style of learning. I have a cousin who teaches at a Waldorf school and it is also wonderful and vastly more suited to many children. She is an amazing person, always my favorite cousin, and the Waldorf schools are really great. One of my favorite things is that a teacher follows the children, teaching them for several years rather than having them adust to a new teacher each year. It means the teachers don't get stuck in a rut for how to teach something because they are always learning and growing with the children.

He sure is a busy kid, lol! ANd a total cutie. You will NEVER have to worry about him not having something to do.

DDD

Wow, I'm so sorry that the N/P evaluation had to be delayed. Where I live that would mean many months before getting a new appointment. DDD

Malika

I think she can see us at the end of April. I have to travel to the big city, where there are quite a few NPs and rendez-vous can be had quite quickly. This is all in the private sector and paid directly - the French healthcare system, fantastic and generous though it is, doesn't extend this far.
Yes, I think an alternative school HAS to be the way to go. Even J's teacher - a nice enough man, if a bit lost when it comes to special needs - agrees.

Ktllc

I will be following your posts very closely, Malika. I can't wait to hear from the "new school" when you find one that suits J. I am playing with the idea myself, but not as seriously as you.
Your little J has a lot to offer and being in an environement that see the positive about him, not just the challenges can do wonders.
Being unique and exceptional is both a blessing and a curse, it will be up to you to teach it to him. And I believe you do so already. Keep us posted and try not to run out of energy! Lol.