Life here is still not going well

keista

Don't be too impressed. I knew the law since I lived there for about 8 months, but had to research it again recently because FH just moved there again, and I had to see if bigamy would be an additional "charge" I could hang over his head. Nope. A common law marriage can only take place if the two ppl can legally at that moment become married. Needless to say, FH is safe from that now and forever.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Divorce law here for common law is really "iffy"........JUST TRY TO GET MY MILLIONS.

DF says when he hits the megamillions? He's going to sign the back of that ticket. THEN he bets I'll marry him after a ten year engagement. Someone said - "YOU TWO are already considered married." I said NO we aren't - and checked into it legally. Technically, legally, untechnically - WE ARE NOT. HOWEVER ----If he hit the lotto? I'm Mrs. Swedish Biker guy -and 1/2 of that ticket is MINE - MINE I tell you - bwhahaha. ahem.

svengandhi

Janet and Lisa -

I know your pain. I lived in NYC and could barely ever get my H to go to a Broadway show. I now go two or three times a year with my friend, whose H also doesn't care for the theater. My last "vacation" was 7 years ago. We went to a campground with 2 cars. I took the day off from work so we could leave early. Due to H's dilly-dallying, we didn't leave till after dinner. We missed a whole day of activities I'd paid for and we got there too late for H to set up the tents so everyone else had to sleep in the cars with me. Yup, I was actually planning to sleep in the car on my vacation.

As for your bucket list. both New Year's Eve in Times Square and the fireworks over the Hudson in person are way over-rated. I've done both, at ages 18 and 27 respectively and would never do either ever again. It was crowded and, remember, I am a born and bred NY'er so I am used to crowds but these were too much for me... Also, since 9/11, you have to stand for hours before midnight and you can't sit down or pee unless you wear an astronaut diaper.

Also, the $99 deal is probably a time share come on. They require both halves of a couple to attend together and will have you attend a sales pitch. They are getting savvier so they may now sell them as a dinner meeting.

I have given up on ever having a vacation with my H. It's ok because I can't stand being around him anyway. Maybe though if we did ever spend some unstressed time together, I might remember why and how I loved him for all those many years, because I did.

Hope it turns out better for you and if you ever do want to come to NYC to see a show, I'd love to meet you.

Tiapet

Old Hand
Janet I really hoped things would be changing for you. I know you are confused, stressed, tired, hurting (in more then one way), and just plain old tired of this **** and wishing it would end. I don't have any real answers for you. I think they're going to have to come from within and from from serious sole searching as to just what you will and won't put up with anymore and if really truly you feel this will come to an end with Tony. I can't judge.

If you are considering a weekend away I have a suggestion to add to the others. Basing this on the fact that fishing was mentioned, relaxation and things you BOTH enjoy too. How about coming out to the Smoky Mountains? There are cabin rentals that can be had very reasonable here. They all have hot tubs (good for both you and Tony's aches and it's private), nice scenery from your cabin. They have TV's (some with really big screens), some have pool tables, some have fire places (the nights have been somewhat cool still plus it's romantic and allows Tony to put his "man skills to work"), and well each has some perks different then the other as well as location. The really good thing is there are a TON of different offerings and companies to choose from. I can give you well over a dozen links to sites to pick from if you're interested. If you want to do more then just relax and or fish, there is many other things to do nearby as well in the local vicinity of interest to BOTH of you. Oh and another plus, on your way to or from, you could always drop down to Star's house! ;)

DammitJanet

Tony has been talking about the Smokey Mtns too. That is something he is interested in. He loves the mountains since he actually grew up there. I love the mountains in VA and we took a day drive when the boys were little all up and down that one day when we lived in Greensboro. We may have even stayed overnite. We always wanted to go to Dollywood but I think that is out of my physical ability at this point. A cabin is more my speed right now.

You cannot imagine how badly I want to take the grands to Disney. It is like an ache inside me. I went many times as I was growing up and just always figured I would be able to take my kids. I never could. Now I so badly want to take my grands. I could probably scrape together the money to take them but now its my body that is failing me. After how difficult it was for me in Difficult Child at that dratted Easter Egg Hunt, I know I am not able to do what I want to do anymore and it just kills me.

S

Signorina

Janet, Disney does "handicapped" REALLY well. Scooters and wheel chair, rest and family areas, they are AMAZING. So, that's a dream you can hold on to. They are really great. Really Really Really great. They have special assistance passes for people unable to stand in line, medical stations for assistance and as a place to store medications, special transportation options, many accessible hotel rooms etc., and most attractions are accessible. We took our youngest when he was just 12 weeks old and the baby care centers are amazing - air conditioned, places to rest, feed and change little ones and get off the feet for a while.
My day had limited mobility and Disney was great for/with him.

DammitJanet

Well...that is good to hear. I have one dream left!

That Mother's Day thread got me thinking. I still have my mom's ashes here and we have been discussing where to put her for the past 6 years. Heck, we still have my grandmother here and we have no clue what to do with her! We have been thinking of sprinkling at least part of my mother in the Morehead City/Scotland Neck area of NC. She loved it there and her relatives were from Scotland Neck. I also want to sprinkle some of her at the Marine Corps museum because she had such a huge thing about Marines. The final touch would be if I could get her to the Ronald Reagan Library but I have no idea how to do that since I cant get to CA. She was a huge Reagan fan.

It would be nice if Tony and I could go up to Morehead for our little trip. We love it there.

donna723

Janet, something else you might check in to is the State parks near you, assuming that they are the same as they are here in Tennessee. Some of the parks here have hotels but they also have cute little self-contained cabins that you can rent by the day or by the week and they are very reasonable. Most accept pets too. They say they have everything you need, you just bring your own food. They even provide the cooking utensils. They're a great place to "getaway from it all". I have friends who used to pack up their kids and go for long weekends and they just loved it (we got a big discount when I still worked for the State). The things you can do there vary park to park but they all have nice restaurants, swimming, places to fish and boats you can use. Something like that might be a quiet, restful place for you two to reconnect again and be able to really talk things over without all the other interferences.