Life moves SO quickly!

witzend

We arrived in Charlotte on Thursday, looked at our first set of houses on Friday, looked at more on Saturday and made an offer on Saturday night. I hope we didn't low-ball it too much... Fingers crossed for us on this?

We met Janet and Tony for lunch yesterday - you guys are the best! :hugs:

Got a new car lease for husband today, tomorrow husband has lunch with his new employers and tomorrow, then I go back home on Tuesday to pack it all up. Now is the time to find out if all of the friends who said "If you need anything at all just let us know" really meant it. I need help packing! And deciding, "do I sell it or pack it?" "Do I drive or fly?" "Do I keep my car or sell it?" "How do the dogs get there?" O M G... I wish I had done this when I was more able-bodied!

tiredmommy

This is when you pay M to help pack and load. Sell as much as you can, your current stuff would probably need updating for Charleston anyway. Could you afford to fly M home if he were to drive cross-country with you and the dogs? Would he take a week to help you out that way?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Wow, wow, wow!!!

All the stuff you have to do, I don't envy you. I do wish I could help... But I'll be pretzeling that you HAVE help!!!

H

HaoZi

Good luck! I'm somewhere in the middle of the country so I doubt if I could help any, but PM if you need my number.

witzend

This is when you pay M to help pack and load. Sell as much as you can, your current stuff would probably need updating for Charleston anyway. Could you afford to fly M home if he were to drive cross-country with you and the dogs? Would he take a week to help you out that way?

It's a nice idea, but there are a couple of problems with it. Like me, M has Muscular Dystrophy, and he wouldn't be any more able to do the packing and lifting than I am. Also, M doesn't drive, so driving with me across country isn't something he could do, and if we broke down on the road or got a flat I'd do just as well alone as I would with him. Otherwise it would probably be a very good opportunity for the two of us to mend our fences. But, with the stress that is going on, I can't watch him every moment and tell him how things are done. I need to be able to say "pack those in a box and mark it 'x' and put it there" and walk away and know that it has been done. Trying to include M in the day to day stuff would be more damaging to our relationship than it would be curative.

I do know someone who does "handyman" type work at $25 an hour and he works as hard as a draft-horse with very little direction. I've already talked to him about helping, and he says that all I have to do is call. husband has talked about doing a POD, and that is most likely what we will do but I need to start packing and figuring if it is more economical to ship it or sell it. Most of our furniture is less than 5 years old, so it could work well in our new home, but is it worth it to ship it? I'll be checking the local craigslist this evening to see what types of things are out there at what price.

I do have a box or two of things that I will give to M - his Eagle Scout stuff and probably some dishes and kitchen stuff that I no longer use but would be helpful to him if he ever finds his own place to live. I expect that most of the household stuff will end up with his grandmother or his girlfriend, but it's of little consequence to me. It would otherwise end up at the Goodwill, and any of them could probably use it.

InsaneCdn

You need to start FOUR sections for stuff.
1) the absolutely goes with us stuff
2) the would be nice to take stuff
3) the give to somebody stuff
4) the I don't care stuff

The absolutely goes with us stuff needs to be the FIRST stuff loaded, as much as possible. But you have to fit stuff around other stuff, so... it pays to do most of the deciding, first (even if you don't pack as you go).

Once you know you have all the absolutely stuff, you can prioritize the rest... but you really don't want to run out of room due to stuff you don't care THAT much about... Know what I mean?? Those pods fill FAST.

Car... can also be shipped, if you don't want to drive it.
Dogs... ummm... that's a bit trickier. Could husband come back and pick up you and the dogs one weekend, as the "last trip"?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow, Witz, can't say I envy you. I don't like moving, at all. I'm rather proficient at it, but I can't stand it. However, it does help get rid of clutter. lol

Will keep body parts crossed about the house. I hope you get it.

((hugs))

DammitJanet

I really am so excited. I wish I had one of the boys I could offer to come out and drive back with you. I wonder if Jamie had vacation time built up? I could call and ask him. To bring the dogs I do think you need to drive. It will be easier on them. It is about to get to warm to ship them in the belly of the plane.

I would definitely bring all your kitchen appliances...the stuff you use like mixers, silverware, specialty things like that. Also if you have a grill that you adore, bring that. You will do a lot of grilling out here. If yours is old, toss it. If you have a very comfortable bed that you love...bring it. You cannot replace your favorite bed. I hate my new bed and would give my right arm for one of those sleep numbers or ones that go up and down. Right now I am trying to get a doctor to rx me a hospital bed because I cant afford to buy a new one after I just spend 1500 on this last one just last year and it is already broken down. And I bought a good mattress and box spring! They promised me it would last even though I explained my weight and everything but it has already broken down. I am ticked so if you have a really good bed that is comfortable for you, bring it. Anything that are heirlooms you dont want to get rid of, bring.