Life skills

I am surprised that both of my kids came from my loins.

Copper STILL needs life skills. Tink could survive on a desert island by herself 3 years ago.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Fortunately,difficult child knows all the steps, it's just his initiation to the next step. One of my infamous lines is "stop stopping". The planning to automatically go to the next step is natural to us but my difficult child has flat earth thinking. Once one step is done it's as if the rest of the task falls off the earth. No continuation or initiation of the next step.

How about adding "Do step 2" to the steps? :wink:

As for when to start life skills....Looking back, I guess I started without difficult child OR me realizing it. If we went shopping for something in particular, say school clothes for example, I would herd difficult child towards clearance racks first. Yes it was always in my head that he needed to understand that money doesn't grow on trees but mostly that was just due to household finances and my own cheapness! LOL He didn't take long to pick up on that one and now will head directly for the clearance stuff when he's looking for something. (He once found an awesome down coat on clearance at Wal-Mart for $30!) I think part of that is just simple greed. He's figured out that if we only have a certain amount to spend, then he can get more stuff if he finds what he wants on sale. Another thing I did when shopping with him was explain why I wasn't willing to buy X for $60 when we could get Y for $30. I don't mind spending a little more on clothes or shoes for him if I'm getting a better quality. But if he's in the middle of a growth spurt, I'm not spending more money on something that he's going to outgrow in a month and he has pretty much understood that since we got him. (Doesn't mean he likes it, just that he gets it)

Now he's 17 and needs to start learning more than he does. Our problem with him is that he has the typical teen thinking of "Mom and Dad are stupid" except that he applies that to EVERYTHING. If I tell him that he can't use CLR to clean his shoes because it's caustic, he'll do it anyway because I don't know what I'm talking about and it won't hurt anything. Uh-huh...that's why I need a new bath mat....he burnt a hole right through it with the CLR.

You said your difficult child is 13. I would start with what you know she can handle. Helping with meals, at the grocery store (like someone else mentioned....which is the better deal, we want this but how does it fit into the budget, etc. Coupons are a good way to start out with this too.) If she's not ready to do laundry all the way through, teach her to sort out her clothes for you or take stuff out of the washer and toss into the dryer. I would just start her out on things she needs to know anyway but start small (or whatever she can handle). If she can go off of written instructions (sort laundry, put a load into the washer, make sure it's set on appropriate settings, add soap, turn on, shut lid) do that. If she needs to see the instructions, show her or even take pictures (Picture A is the level where your clothes should be in the washer-without water- to make a full load, picture B shows where the knobs should be to wash a load of darks, etc.)

You know her best and know what she can or can't do at this point. She's old enough to start with things. Some of it, too, you can slip in and she won't even realize she's learning. At her age (non difficult child but still), I was cooking full meals, cleaning the house and doing laundry. And at 16 I would be handed a grocery list, coupons and a certain amount of money. I had to get everything on the list with the money that I had. If I had extra money, I could pick up a treat. We all learn at different ages but start now. It may not sink in for a few years but at least then you're that much ahead.

meowbunny

There's one life skill I wished I'd taught my daughter. I'm doing it now very very gradually (and very very very carefully) -- the ability to laugh at oneself.

This may be one of the most important things we can teach our kids. It lets us fail and try again. It lets us see that not every bad thing is a tragedy.

I was so busy trying to build her self-esteem, I forgot that we need to fail at times. We need to fall on our rumps, laugh and get back up and try again.

So, I'm trying to teach it now. I'll deliberately muck something up and then laugh. It's even better if the mistake is accidental (like our baking messes). I have seen her relax a little and be a little more forgiving of herself.

She's kept a job she basically (?) was downright awful at in the beginning. Before, she would have quit by the third day. She's getting better. Her tips are going up, her co-workers are trusting her more. Her manager has increased her hours from two days a week to 5.

So, on top of basic skills, do teach your child that it is okay to make mistakes and it is even better to be able to laugh at those that are rectifiable or not too big of a deal.

tammyjh

There's one life skill I wished I'd taught my daughter. I'm doing it now very very gradually (and very very very carefully) -- the ability to laugh at oneself.

This may be one of the most important things we can teach our kids. It lets us fail and try again. It lets us see that not every bad thing is a tragedy.

I was so busy trying to build her self-esteem, I forgot that we need to fail at times. We need to fall on our rumps, laugh and get back up and try again.

So, I'm trying to teach it now. I'll deliberately muck something up and then laugh. It's even better if the mistake is accidental (like our baking messes). I have seen her relax a little and be a little more forgiving of herself.

She's kept a job she basically (?) was downright awful at in the beginning. Before, she would have quit by the third day. She's getting better. Her tips are going up, her co-workers are trusting her more. Her manager has increased her hours from two days a week to 5.

So, on top of basic skills, do teach your child that it is okay to make mistakes and it is even better to be able to laugh at those that are rectifiable or not too big of a deal.
This is a good one. My difficult child can do this...at least a little and its very surprising to me that she can. I am happy she's able to do it. The problem usually arises when someone laughs with her and that usually makes her mad. But she's getting better, I think. That means progress. Great point and one I'll be thinking about and working on myself. Thanks :smile:

F

flutterbee

OK. I've had some time to get my thoughts together. Had to catch them all and try to contain them in one room. :wink:

I've realized that I try to help difficult child too much and that it's no longer helping; it's hindering. Enabling. Whatever you want to call it. Some of it is because I realize that things are harder for her. But, quite honestly, some of it is because it's just easier to avoid the meltdown and attitude that just s-ucks the life right out of me.

So, no more. I realized that my easy child could do laundry at the age of 10. He did almost all of the laundry in the 6 months to a year leading up to my heart attack and until we moved into this house because I couldn't do the stairs. I also realize that difficult child is perfectly capable. It's just going to take more repetition. And patience.

You guys have given some very practical, common sense advice and ideas. I'm going to print out this thread and refer back to it.

I had more to say, but difficult child came in in a bad mood and I've totally lost my train of thought.

Anyway...thanks all for the great ideas!

F

flutterbee

It came back to me. LOL Sigh... :rolleyes:

We have to be accommodating for our kids. But I've become too accommodating. It's my job to raise her to be successful. And by successful, I don't mean wonderful career making lots of money. I mean being the best that she can be. As prepared for life as she can be. Allowed to fail. Allowed to struggle - enough to know the sweet taste of accomplishment. And realizing that it's going to be harder for her, but that she can do it.

I say that all the time: that it's going to be harder, but it's not an excuse to give up. It's time I put that to real use instead of just lip service.

Thanks for letting me get my thoughts out.