Listen to your body

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I've spent since early July recovering from God knows what. We're still in the correct diagnosis stage - given what we are dealing with, there are huge concerns on the doctors because of the need to have the right treatment plan.

As some of you know, I struggle with cognitive issues & short term memory issues; can't for the life of me remember many things. I spend a lot of time writing notes & now ask the tweedles treatment teams to either write me letters or preferably use email so I have a written reminder of what's been discussed. Occupational therapy has been suggested.

I spend a lot of time finding the right word - I can see it in my brain but I cannot get it out. There are issues with my swallowing. Speech therapy looms ahead for me.

My doctor's are using written correspondence & notes to help me take the right medications at the right times. To show up at appts at the right time, at the right place. Etc, etc, etc,

husband is using a dry erase board to help me with things around the house. I've put up huge signs to remind me to turn off the stove. That's my biggest concern.

A RN is now coming in to teach husband to set up medications for kt; I overdosed her one day - set up medications incorrectly.

Physically, I cannot walk with-o a can or walker, my right side is extremely weak & my coordination isn't that good. There is a great deal of pain.

For the past 3 years I've let doctor's tell me that my symptoms are all stress related. I utilized the antidepressants & ativan thinking this would help. I used the lunesta to help me sleep thinking that the stress was keeping me from sleep.

In the meantime, things kept escalating...with one tweedle or another & with my symptoms.

Turns out something else is going on .... something far more serious than stress.

I guess this is just to remind you not to let a doctor assume that because your home life is stressful, that your physical symptoms are stress related. It may be.....it may not.

Make sure that all else is ruled out before you accept those AD's & tranquilizers.

Take time to take care of you - in the end, if you don't, you cannot take care of your family as you would like.

I'm finding this out in a very personal way AND I don't like it.

I have to accept it though & move forward.

Ladies, take care of yourselves. Don't let your difficult children put your health in the background. It's simply not worth it.

tired Cheryl

Great advice!
As hard as it is to follow it is so important.

After being very healthy my entire life, I spent this past summer seriously ill. Everyone including the dotors kept asking, "How did you become so rundown?" :slap:

The I would just tell them a little about my "average" day not to mention the extracurriculuars like 24 hrs VEEGs, school dismissals, becoming my own project manager at the business I am constructing...LOL

Fortunately, after several doctors and thousands of dollars, I think that I am on the mend from the summer infection (atypical mycobacterium pneumonia, sinus involvement, very low platelets, low white counts) but now I am suffering severe GI symptoms. Luckly, husband has large supply of GI medications as he has struggled with IBD, refulx, etc for years. So, I am self-medicating until I can get back in to the doctor.

I agree that physiologic conditions must be ruled out first. I have an appointment with a p-doctor for next week but will make sure that they work closely with my internist and hematologist.

It is just so scary to me to have my body falling apart! I was the one who kept it all together and now I am unraveling both physically and mentally.

busywend

Good knowledge for sure.

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I do recall through the last 3 years you mentioning your seemingly unrelated and not so serious health issues. I guess when you put them all together it becomes more serious. A few have been added in now, too.

You think this has been coming for a few years?

You need Dr. House!!!

Linda,

Thanks for reminding all of us that we need to take care of ourselves. I know, like I'm sure so many others are, I'm guilty of not taking care of my physical needs when I should because of all the chaos caused by my difficult children.

Even though words seem so shallow at times like this, please know that as always, I'm thinking of you and praying that each day will find you a bit stronger and feeling a bit better... WFEN

Marguerite

I can heartily endorse this. Learn to listen to your body. Give it what it wants (apart from overdosing on chocolate!)

And teach your children to listen, as well, to their bodies. Very important.

Marg

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Thanks for sharing that message with us today. I know I am listening, now I only have to put it into practice, especially with my difficult child headed back home this coming week.

Your struggles just sound so awful. I'm holding a special prayer for you today - to feel less pain, more peace.

Hugs~

DammitJanet

Linda...I can relate in so many ways. I dont have quite the same issues as you do but some are the same. The cognitive and walking/standing issues are so familiar.

I got a new fancy walker yesterday...much nicer than my old gray one...lol. It has a seat so when I get too weak I can sit down. I hate that it has come to this.

My family still wants to think that Im over-reacting and not quite this bad. I know.

My problem is I need both the physical stuff and the mental stuff...sigh.

susiestar

Roll With It
Linda,

You have a wonderful way of expressing yourself, especially with the language issues you face. I know a little of how terrible those and memory deficits can be. I was lucky and those symptoms disappeared when I stopped a medication I was on.

I also know the need to make the docs really SEE that it is my body, not the stress, that is a problem.

I hate that youare having so many problems.

Trust your instincts for yourself, the way you should for your child.

A very important message.

Thanks

Susie

Wiped Out

Staff member
Excellent advice Linda. We do need to listen to our bodies (I know I can be guilty of not listening when it comes to getting enough rest and I'm working on it).

O

OTE

I'll say lots of prayers for you Linda.

Have you by any chance been tested for Lyme? I recently learned of a strain of Lyme that can result in what you describe. It is also treatable if recognized. Unfortunately it is not always recognized.

You're so right about all you said. I do practice this and it did save my life exactly 10 years ago.