Listerine?

LucyB

I found a water bottle next to the kitchen sink yesterday. It looked discolored, so I dumped it out, not knowing what it was. Based on the smell, I think it was Listerine. Does anyone have any idea why she would have Listerine in a water bottle or if it could have been something else? I thought maybe to cover the smell of alcohol, but they why not just leave it in the original bottle? She often drinks vodka, which I'm told doesn't smell anyway. daughter is 20, working, and going to school part-time. She stays with friends/boyfriend most nights, so it is hard to know what she is up to.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Most mouthwashes contain potable alcohol. That's why if you make donations to shelters or hospitals, they will not allow mouthwash or aftershave in the donations.

Nancy

We learned in difficult child's rehab treatment that Listerine is highly abused and is on the list of banned substances for addicts. difficult child just told me today that a lot of the patients in rehab used it.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
At least Listerine just came out with a non-alcoholic version of the mint flavor. I've never gotten high on Listerine in my life, but the alcohol version irritated my gums something fierce

LucyB

It could be innocent. I don't want to jump to conclusions either way. She seems to have fairly easy access to alcohol thanks to older friends. I just wish she was home more so I could have a better handle on how much she is drinking.

Nancy

difficult child was just given a book called Medications and the Recovering Person in her outpatient program. No wonder Listerine is so abused, it contains 25% alcohol.

Nancy

svengandhi

Wow! I never knew this. I have about 6 different bottles of the stuff in my cabinet right now because everyone likes a different flavor. Nobody's drinking it here but Wow!

T

toughlovin

There are a whole lot of household medications that kids use to get high. One fo the big ones is DMX, the cough suppressant that is in Robitussin. You take enough of it and it makes you hallucinate. Another one that I don't think kids use much because I think the effects are not all that pleasant is something like benedryl.... take too much of that and it causes psychosis. So if you have any concern at all that your kid will experiment lock all household otc medications up. My son overdosed twice on OTC medications and it is scary.

Nancy

Theraflu, Triminic Thin Strips, Vicks Nyquil, Robitussin Maximum Strength, Vicks Formula 44, Tylenol Extra Strength Liquid, Imodium AD, Excedrin PM, Geritol Tonic, Cepacol, N'ice Throat Spray...and there are lots more.

Nancy

T

toughlovin

I think any of the cold medications are a problem. My son overdosed on mucinex which is a problem because it is time released so the effect lasts a long time. I don't think he did that because he realized about the time release but we found bottles of robitussen in his room.... not all gone so he figured out how much he needed to take to get high and not overdose. There are websites you can go to to see the effects of any kind of drug. It was looking at his history and looking on that site that I figured out about the benedryl. It is an informative web site, unfortunately though it is informative for the teens as well. Anyway you can check out www.erowid.com for info.

donna723

Nyquil has a lot of alcohol in it! My ex used to drink it like it was water!

I worked in a prison for 24 years and we couldn't sell anything in our inmate commissary that had alcohol in it. You would be surprised at how many products have alcohol in them! Mouthwashs are are full of it! Most of us can't even imagine doing this but if someone is desperate enough for alcohol, they will drink mouthwash, even hair spray, to get a buzz on!

Nancy

To most of us these products are benign, but to an addict or recovering addict they spell disaster.

Nancy

T

toughlovin

Most of them are pretty benign if used properly.... who would have known too much benedryl makes you literally psychotic? I never would have guessed that!!! I really think the OTC drugs should be just that behind the counter so you have to ask for them at a minimum.... would at least stop addicts from lifting them off the shelves!!!

Nancy

I watched two teenage boys who I actually knew from difficult child buy several bottles of Robitussin last winter and asked them why they needed so much and of course they said they had a bad cold. I informed the store manager I thought they should be behind the pharmacy counter.

Nancy

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Another issue with the cold medications is that many of them contain extremely high amounts of acetaminophen, which is a very potent liver toxin. Kids taking Nyquil or similar drugs run a real risk of damaging their livers permanently.

I'd sooner see opiates sold OTC than Tylenol (acetaminophen) products sold so. Believe it or not, the opiates are safer for the system!