Little bit more update on me...pain management doctor

DammitJanet

I went to pain management clinic today. Seems like a really good, nice place.

Busy as all get out but well run and the Dr was very nice to me. He listened well and only had one eyebrow raising moment where he didnt seem to understand me. He wanted to question why I didnt think I could continue on neurontin when I want to Difficult Child it for right now. My point is I am having such a rough time with my mood that I am trying to get on as few psychotropic medications to see what is effecting my moods and see if I can get my mood stable and then if I can do that then I will see about adding the neurontin back for the neuropathy. He kept saying...oh but it works for the pain. Well yeah...but so do the other two...lamictal and topamax and I dont want to be on three of the ones in that category right now. We agreed to table it.

He wants to get the doctor that does these procedures to do this epidural thingy with lidocaine first down one side of my spine and if that helps then they will go in and do it with something else that will be more permanent. Sounds painful...lol.

That all starts on 8/10.

I got put on the fentanyl patch for pain. So glad. These are so much better than the old ones I used before. TINY! The pharmacist told me she doesnt think I am going to have the same issues with the adhesive that I did before. She told me she has had so many patients tell her that.

So all in all...very good outcome. Now...if the procedure goes ok and I dont get hurt too badly...eek! I bet Loth knows what it is.

Marguerite

That's good news, Janet, that you've got something for the pain. Getting it under control has to also help with your moods.

Marg

M

Mamaof5

I have a buddy with fibro that does the back injections every 3 months or so (that's about as long as it works for him) and he says it's not that bad a procedure DJ. It's actually very quick and not as painful as it sounds like.

Hope you get the relief across the board you are looking for!

TerryJ2

Great! My cousin has one of those tiny Fentanyl patches. She doesn't even know she's wearing it. Awesome, the stuff on the mkt these days.
Let us know how it goes with-o the neurontin.

klmno

This sounds hopeful, Janet! I hope the back injections work and you get the medications figured out quickly.

Ephchap

Janet, so glad to hear you're seeing someone and that he's got suggestions and willing to try new things. I hope you get relief soon ! As for the back injections, not sure they are the same thing - but my daughter had spinal injections for a few years due to her gymnastics back injury. They went in while looking through xray or something like that and did it as an epidural. She did get much needed relief from them. I hope if they decide to do them, that it works, and you get relief as well.

Sending mega hugs,
Deb

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I've had the epidural injections of lidocaine and a steroid into the spinal canal. Done by a good doctor, they are no big deal at all. I've had three courses. The first two worked; the third one did not.

One thing to be aware of is that your back might hurt a bit more for a day or two afterwards. It shouldn't be an issue if they use the lidocaine, though.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am glad you like the pain doctor - a good one can make an enormous difference in your life.

I hope the epidural gives you lasting relief - they can be very helpful.

rejectedmom

Janet I have been away fromt he board for a while and am glad to hear that you found a doctor that will listen to you. I am also wondering if yor moods could be because you are not sleeping well. I hope all goes well and you get the relief you need. -rm