LittleDude'sMom, how is your mother?

Estherfromjerusalem

Hello Sharon! I read on the "Good Morning" thread on the general forum that your mother is having surgery today on her carotid artery which is 90-95% blocked. I hope she is OK and that everything has gone smoothly.

I was amazed at what you wrote, that she will not be "put under" completely during the operation, that recovery room will be one hour, and she will be in hospital only one day. I had this done 10 weeks ago (and the other side done six years ago). The anaesthetic was very deep, the operation took over three hours, I was in the recovery room for 24 hours which is a very long time, and I was in hospital altogether for 8 days. It was pretty major surgery. They didn't put in any stents. But in both operations a patch was attached to the artery to keep it open.

Both times I had been having TIAs (mini-strokes), and both times we managed to avoid having a real big stroke, and I thank God for that! But I must be honest, it is major and I am still recovering in some respects. How old is your mother? I am 62.

I would be really interested in hearing about this. If you don't want to put gory details on the board, then please PM me.

I wish your mother a successful operation and a speedy recovery.

Love, Esther

busywend

Esther, the surgery is tomorrow. I know LDM will be heading out early in the AM. I am not sure if we will hear until Weds AM.

Prayers going out for LDMs mom!

Star*

call 911........call 911
You know - this really is a community. I sign on and I see this post and I think - SURGERY? LDM's Mom? Where was I? How did I miss this? I am so sorry for you LDM.

BEST WISHES AND PRAYERS FOR A SPEEDY RECOVERY!

I swear it was like hearing Aunt So & So was going into the hospital. and I was the last to know. lol

LittleDudesMom

Thanks guys.

Esther, mom is having the surgery tomorrow morning. The surgeon will make a small incission, clamp the artery, cut the artery open, remove the atherosclerosis, then suture or graft the artery (mom was not sure which), restore blood flow, and stitch the incision site. All this will be done with local plus some "relaxing" drugs so the surgeon can make sure the interuption in blood flow to her brain is not doing any damage. He said it will take a little over an hour. Her surgeon will keep her in the hospital for about 24 hours since the blood pressure usually fluxuates a lot after the surgery. She is to keep her head up, not bend over for a week, and within 10 days can resume her normal activity.

That in a nutshell is her surgery - or at least that is the plan. Perhaps there have been some further advances in carotid surgery here in the states. Sounds like your surgery was not so cut and dry as the surgeon tells mom hers will be. He also told her that she will be in very little pain because the incissoin will be so small.

But, I can let you know if this is how it works out. Obvisouly mom's blockage was asymptomatic because they didn't even know it was there. She had no problems at all leading up to the diagnosis.

Sharon

Editing the post to answer one last question Esther, mom is 75 but very active and healthy and looks more like she's in her early 60's. She keeps on the go traveling (loves to cruise) and doing her favorite thing - shopping!

Estherfromjerusalem

Sharon,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I will be thinking of your mom tomorrow and hoping that all goes smoothly and according to plan. Let us know how she is, please.

Love, Esther

LittleDudesMom

Esther,

thanks so much for your thoughts and concern. I just got back home. The surgery lasted 70 minutes and the surgeon found more disease higher up but was able to get it all out without any nerve damage!

We were able to see her about 45 minutes after surgery. She was awake the whole time. Her neck was numbed and she had iv "happy drugs" but the surgeon told us that since she was having surgery on the left side, he wantd to make sure that when they clamped off and stopped the flow of blood, he was doing no damage. He had her hold a ball in her right hand a squeeze, he had her talk, blink her right eye, stuff like that. If they saw any ill effects, they would have had to put a shunt in while doing the surgery.

She was asking for a coke when I left, about 3 hours postop - the ice chips just weren't cutting it. She will be going home tomorrow morning about 10 which will be a little less than 24 hours. He said she should take it easy tomorrow, but the only real limitation was not driving for two weeks.

So, thank goodness it is over and she is doing well! Again, thanks for your kindness. Sounds like it was more complicated on your end?

Sharon

Estherfromjerusalem

Well Sharon, I bet you are relieved that it is over, and it sounds marvelous. I am so pleased to hear how well it went, and I wish your mother a smooth and speedy complete recovery.

Yes, my case must have been more complicated, since the standard of medicine here in Israel is high and they surely wouldn't do major surgery if it wasn't necessary. My poor neck looks as if the Mafia was at it -- the scar is from the top of my jaw bone down to the middle of my throat! And as I told you, it took several hours, I spent 24 hours in recovery and 8 days in the hospital. I have heart problems, and I had been having TIAs (mini-strokes). I feel envious of your mum that it was done like that, but what can you do? We are in the doctors' hands, and what they say is what we do.

I bet you are pleased you were able to be there.

Love, Esther

LittleDudesMom

Thank you Esther. I am glad I was able to be there. I'm glad you are recovered and doing well yourself. Medicine is very often a miricle than can give us our lives back.

Sharon