Lived through the wedding (just barely)

muttmeister

As I mentioned about a week ago, difficult child 1 got married last weekend.

I got the quilt done for everybody to sign. Got the wedding cake made and transported 150 miles: 3 tiers, chocolate, they wanted navy blue frosting. Not the easiest color to make but I managed. Somebody was worried that they would all have blue lips but considering the amount of body piercings, tattoos, and weird colored hair, I figured blue lips and teeth would fit right in.:tongue:

Considering how difficult child was as a kid, it all went off well and was a great day. I even got hugs and kisses from difficult child.:surprise:

The wedding was at one park and then we all went to a different park for pictures. It was a difficult walk so difficult child 2 picked up my 96 year old mother and carried her. We got pictures of that, thank goodness.

We had a picnic at the park for the wedding party. While difficult child was sitting between me and my ex, somebody mentioned some kind of advice and difficult child said, considering how we worked out, he thought he'd not take advice from either one of us.:D It was good for a laugh.

The wedding went off pretty much without a hitch except that my difficult child cousin, who means well, complained to me that she thought some of the people weren't dressed appropriately. I told her that difficult child and his fiance didn't care how they were dressed, those people were their friends and they wanted them there. She didn't say too much after that. I don't know why some people always have to find fault.:mad: She was almost late because instead of coming to the motel and following us who knew where we were going, she wanted to find the location before she checked in so she was almost late (and she had my mother with her). Nothing like doing things the hard way.

After the wedding, at the motel, I managed to lock my keys in my car along with all of the decorations for the reception to be held the next day.:sick: I've been driving for 46 years and this is only the third time I've ever done that. difficult child 2 had gone home (2 hours) but was coming back the next day so I told him to bring the extra set back with him. Of course, he didn't get back till the reception was due to start so we had to throw things together in a hurry but it all worked out.

The big disaster was when they had the oven full of stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon for the reception and the oven caught on fire. :surprise:I ended up going to Wal Mart and buying some party platters to take their place. And difficult child got a new stove as a wedding present that I wasn't planning on giving him but I guess it was OK.

My new mantra is "It will be OK, everything will be fine." I said that so many times over the weekend that it is drilled in my brain. I'm not usually the one who manages to remain calm (I'm more likely to swear and throw something) but I guess it was good for me.:whiteflag:

As I told them (as difficult child's new wife was crying in the smoke of the kitchen), in 10 years they'll get a good laugh out of the whole thing.

In spite of the few glitches, everybody had a good time and they will have some lovely pictures and memories.:D

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Good luck to the newlyweds! Great job keeping your cool, mom, and for being accepting of the guests' "differences". When my difficult children get hitched the crowd will look very strange to these old eyes.

busywend

Sounds like a great time! Cool memories and pics to come I am sure!

You did good remaining calm and brushing it off. It is only one day of their lives afterall!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Mutt, congrats to the young couple. I like that you pointed out that friends of the bride and groom may look different but they were there and they were friends. I don't understand the need to be judgmental. Weddings seem to bring that out in people. No wonder families get crazy about having a perfect wedding. There really isn't one so why shed tears over glitches. You are absolutely right that they will get a great laugh in years to come. Some of our families favorite stories are of the screw ups. Much more memorable than the smooth event.
I'm glad your son is on his way to a life of his own. Hugs.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
It sounds like it was perfect for the happy couple. I much prefer casual weddings than those big rehearsed shows, don't you? Poo-poo on your cousin.

Congrats to them! And congrats to you for keeping your cool!

trinityroyal

Congratulations to the happy couple. Sounds like the wedding was delightful. I can just imagine your difficult child 2 carrying your mother from park to park. I"m so glad you were able to capture that moment on film.
Honestly, I think an "imperfect" wedding is much more charming for everyone involved. After all, it's a reflection of life -- ups and downs, that they'll need to weather as a couple, that they can laugh about later once the storms are over.
And, whatever they look like, having close friends and family to celebrate such a joyous occasion with them is far more important than having a chorus line of perfect-looking bridal attendants. Weddings really do turn some people's heads, don't they?