Long, long night.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Wee difficult child has been "off" again.

My mom was here to help me after surgery. She stayed yesterday to keep wee difficult child home from school to see if a quiet day would help. He had a decent day til around 6pm, then it just fell apart.

First, he was hungry. He shoved me out of the way to get to the fridge, then pulled the freezer door open so hard, the fridge door opened, too, and several things fell out of the freezer and off the top of the freezer. I took hold of him to prevent any further fiasco which created a fiasco...for an hour.

Early in the day, he saw a bug (he really did). During this "fiasco", he saw bugs everywhere. Every dark spot on our 100 year old ceiling was a bug, he swore they moved, and could not be convinced they were not bugs.

Impulse control was absolutely non-existent. We tried to make May baskets and he'd grab a flower and cut the head off with no stem before I could get it away from him...repeatedly. I ended up actually cutting his finger (not that he cared). He and I ended up going to the store for "more flowers" (not really, just getting him out of the process) while easy child 2 and easy child 1's girlfriend finished baskets. Finally around 9 he settled in with Legos and played some. Bed around 10.

All night, whatever was on his mind, he was obsessed with. He was he!! bent on whatever it was.

He hung on to the "bugs" all evening and thru the night. Could not be convinced they weren't there. Woke up once around 11:30 seeing "bugs". Then woke up at 2am and couldn't go back to sleep, then realized his fish was gone (I swear he knew it died a month ago, but he obviously didn't process it til this morning) and was devastated. Cried for an hour. No diversion worked. Finally at 2:45 I suggested we sneak to a friend's house to deliver his may basket. So we got dressed and went. Wee difficult child jabbered random, nonsense the entire way, non-stop. Delivered the basket, took our time. Got back home at 3:30, he turned on tv, got out colors and paper, etc, and played quietly. At some point, he shut everything off and got back in bed, but was crying for me again at 4:30, frsutrated that he couldn't sleep. Then the bugs again, then the shark crying again. I gave him Tenex and turned on lullibies to help him sleep. Tenex made him tired, but still couldn't go to sleep. He tried to leave me alone (and I think he really did). He called me in about 4:50. Course, I was losing my patience and stomped in, and he started saying "sorry, mommy" over and over. What he wanted and needed to know NOW was how to spell "I miss you shark", then he felt bad for asking, and just blew up all over again. (then I felt bad).

Finally he drifted off about 5:30. It was daylight.

Take the universe back. I can't handle it.

Christy

Sorry! What a night. My son will also become obsessed with things like bugs (real and imaginary). We have a little black spot on the kitchen ceiling above the counter that he insists is a spider. He will move the stool so he is not sitting near it. I have pointed out that the spot never moves and yet he insists that sometimes the spider comes down on a strand of web and tries to bite him!

Hope tonight is better!
Christy

KTMom91

Oh, Shari, I'm so sorry you both had such a bad night. Hope you can get some restful sleep today. Sending lots of hugs and a nice soft pillow...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I just spoke with the pharmacist.

Last time I took difficult child to the doctor, they suggested Zyrtec for his runny nose that appears to be allergy related. Mom gave him a Zyrtec yesterday - first time. In rare instances at high doses, it can cause hallucinations and psychosis. We already know difficult child metabolizes things VERY slowly. A 4 hour ritalin tablet took days to completely wear off...

Great. I probably did it to him.

tryinghard

I am so sorry...for both of you...sounds like you might have hit the nail on the head with the medicine.

Hoping today and tonight are better for you.

BestICan

This community rocks.
You may want to ask your pharmacist if Zyrtec could be lowering your difficult child's seizure threshold. What you described to me - sudden total loss of impulse control, crying for unusual reasons, etc. is EX-ACT-LY what my difficult child did at the age of 5 when he was having seizures. Is it possible he's having seizures that you can't see?

TerryJ2

Take the universe back. I can't handle it.

Ohhhh, Shari, I hear you. I am so sorry for both of you. What a night! I wish I had some words of wisdom.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
So much for the Zyrtec theory. Mom called to see how difficult child was today and told me she forgot to tell me that she couldn't get him to take the Zyrtec. So that's not what it was.

muts80

I can't imagine what you went through!! I almost lose it when my 9 year old difficult child gets up a hundred times a night because he's "scared". He doesn't have halucinations...but he is yanking on my last nerve. I just want a night where he stays in bed for a full 8 hours!! Good luck tonight!! BIG HUGS! I'll be thinking about you...sending good thoughts your way!
:grins:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I emailed DevPed yesterday. She feels the 'bugs" were probably truly hallucinations. She is forwarding info to psychiatric and said she wants to track it, but that's all I've heard from it. I emailed her back later when I found out mom did NOT give him the zyrtec AND forgot his 4pm medications (including Risperdal), but that didn't change what happened thru the evening. She said she's heard of it happening with skipped doses of Risperdal, too.
I ended up giving him his am medications with the Tenex around 4:45-5am (was desperate for sleep), not knowing he had skipped the 4pm medications the night before, but whatever happened, he was fine when he woke up for school.
He fell apart at school after lunch, so I picked him up. He's also complaining of his arms itching, and his arms and legs are red this morning. Ran a strep test, which was negative, but doctor gave him some itch cream, anyway.
I'm so tired of this. I just want a life.

cabletvl

Hi,

I know what you are going through.

My 13 year old son also has bug fears. We found a tick on our dog three days ago and since then my son has been sleeping on the floor in my bedroom. It seems to help him settle down and sleep knowing that I am nearby.

Good luck.