Looking for ways to manage.....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
all this long term chronic stuff. I, for the first time in years, moved my small television out of my kitchen & started listening, really listening to music again. (I do most of my chores in my kitchen - folding laundry, sorting recycle, menus & grocery lists, etc & oh....things like cooking.)

Not just the music I grew up to (Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Stones, Springsteen, Dylan, Heart, Pat Benetar), but I've thrown in musicians like Sam Cooke, Aretha Franklin, Ella Fitzgerald, BB King, Glenn Miller, The Andrews Sisters, Robert Johnson, lots of early 20th century jazz, a great deal of Celtic music, & most recently a great deal of new age, which I never much appreciated in the past.

I'm not sure how music affects you - it certainly touches my spirit. I've not found a level of peace or acceptance on the many changes over the last year or so; my mind is still too much in a whirlwind - there are still too many changes happening in my body.

However, I will say that it is doing something for me. Something positive.

by the way, husband still reminds me to take my daily dosages of ativan if the music of the day isn't doing "it's job". :geek: He's such a patient man. :highvoltage:

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I listen to a lot of "environmental" music when I want to relax, birds in a forest, cows and sheep in a thunderstorm (my favorite). I also listen to a lot of Enya, Martson Smith, and anything new age. Anything to slow down my head at night.

SO puts on his headphones and listens to country music, or 80's music to relax - I so would not be able to relax and calm myself listening to anything with a beat. I have tried to like Jazz, but it just ends up really frazzeling my nerves. If I am going to get geared up into cleaning mode, then I can crank up listen to AC/Difficult Child, Tina Turner or the Dixie Chicks, or put the 50's Sirius station on.

It has started to rain again here again, so I am off to bed for a few hours. SO hates it when it rains cause I just have to have the windows open so I can fall asleep listening to the wonderful sound of it

marcie

Linda,

I don't watch much tv. It drives me CRAZY!!! After living with difficult children for almost 17 years now, (HELP!!!) I find that listening to music I enjoyed while growing up or prior to having my difficult children helps relax me. I think it's great that you're getting into music.

I've found that listening to something I really enjoy while exercising helps me unwind even more. Maybe, for you, putting on something that is calm and relaxing while painting, might help you feel better...

Anyway, in my humble opinion, you are a very strong, determined, and wise person. Although I've never been in your position, really don't know what it would be like, and am probably too naive to say this, I'm going to say it anyway - I think finding peace and a level of acceptance for everything you've been through has got to take lots of time. I think finding things you enjoy doing such as painting and listening to music are good ways to begin finding peace and accepting all the changes your body has been through.

I hope you have a creative and peaceful day...WFEN

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Linda,

You are dealing with twice what I am packing along, and I can't find peace and acceptance. Some days are close, others it seems eons away. I can't imagine how long it would take with all the upheaval in your life this past year.

I'm sure it doesn't make you feel any better, but know you aren't alone. Hopefully, time will help heal in many ways.

Sending hugs.

busywend

Well, Chris Daughtry makes my knees go weak......So soothing!

I do believe music can have a power over us.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I love listening to music while doing chores. I'm not able so much now as my favorite radio station doesn't have a strong signal and I have to have a certain set up to receive it in the house. Plus I can't play a lot of my CD's as difficult child has taken and lost most of them.

A recommendation if I may, by the way. Ray Charles has (er...had?) an album out, recorded, I believe shortly before he died. It's called Genius Loves Company and has some AMAZING duets. Some of the people on it were Gladys Knight, James Taylor, BB King, Bonnie Rait and Nora Jones. There are a lot more people on it but those are just a few off the top of my head. Some of the songs are his, some are covers but it is an unbelievable album.

slsh

member since 1999
Ah... music. I *love* music. I can listen to any song from the last 35+ years and tell you where I was and, in some cases, tell you what I was smelling when I first heard it. "Radar Love" by Golden Earring? Swim team practice and chocolate soft ice cream in 1974. Eagles, "one of these nights... one of these crazy crazy old nights"? Apricot face mask and my brand new curling iron (with steam) in 1975. "Afternoon Delight" - building a log cabin and skinny dipping in 1976 or '77. Hughey Lewis "I want a New Drug" - my first ever new car, I can smell it when I hear that song... by the way, I thought the song was "I want a new truck" and couldn't figure out why on earth Hughey needed a "truck" that wouldn't make him feel sick, LOL. Sang "I wanna new truck" for years!! :rofl: Ahhh, being naive is a good thing! Early Nirvana, Pearl Jam, STP, Alice in Chains - probably the happiest period of my adult life in our beloved Washington.

I don't listen to it enough, but when I *do* it's better than any mood stabilizer invented!! I splurged when I was doing PT and bought myself an MP3 player - has everything from Eminem to Nelly Furtado to Nelly to the grunge guys to Dave Matthews, Linkin Park, Kelly Clarkson, Pat Benatar, Heart, Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd, Pink - probably a really nutso combination, LOL.

I really want to get some CDs of music that I loved as a teen - Alice Cooper's "Welcome to my Nightmare", Elton's "Brown Dirt Cowboy" (was that one of the best albums ever???)...

husband doesn't get it, thinks I'm crazy, but I almost have a physical reaction to loved songs. I can feel my whole body relax and all the tension disappear.

It's funny - Boo and Diva are my only kids into music. Boo loves it *loud*, bless his heart, but we have to do it when we're the only ones at home. Diva loves it all and while I cannot stomach her Disney teeny bopper singers, we have a grand old time listening to pop radio stations together. We quiz each other. I'm continually amazed at how many of the "golden oldies" she knows!

Yep, music is a really wonderful thing for good mental health in my humble opinion. Glad you're rediscovering the old stuff and really impressed that you're trying new genres as well!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Thank you ladies! In the midst of all this, or any chaos, I don't want to become stagnant! I hate being stuck! I guess that is the majority of my frustration.

Sue, I can't tell you where I was to every one of those songs - I can to many of them. Most I refuse to disclose! :winks::rofl::dance:

I spent yesterday afternoon in the kitchen making dinner & listening to Heart full blast. I found that there are certain groups & types of music I put on when I'm angry & need to work out that mad. :angrygirl::talkhand::crazydriver:

LittleDudesMom

I have satellite radio and a portable receiver that I take can use in the car, and then bring inside. I love listening to that. I can listen to any type of music depending on my mood. I actually love listening to the 70's station while cleaning. easy child and I also like the broadway station. It's great and no commercials!!!!!!

I can relate, music has always been a big part of our lives in this house. easy child is going to a show tonight to see, are you ready, The Bled. Sounds nice huh?

Enjoy your tunes - they definately raise the spirit.

Sharon

Timer Lady,

I think you are on to something big.... Music has been my therapy of choice throughout my life starting with I was three years old and demanded (yes, demanded) that my parents buy me a little plastic record player and my fave record, "Honeycomb" by Jimmy Rodgers.. Yes... now you know just how ancient I am!

When I started school I saved my lunch money and went to the corner "dime store" to buy my favorite 45's. Needless to say I moved on to LPs, cds, I-pods ,etc. When easy child comes home to visit from college, he and his friends hover over my record collection and ooh and ahh - and little by little the LPs disappear into new hands. I just love passing the good stuff along.

Can you imagine life without music? It is impossible for me because most of my waking hours are spent in pleasant companionship with my music de jour... difficult child said to me the other day - "Hey Mom, it's hard for me to know how I feel - but the music that I play seems to tell me". I said, "Really, how?" He said, "When I'm happy I play Ray Charles, when I feel sort of even, I play orchestral music and opera, and when I'm sad/mad I play rap".

Wow, he really is my son! I can totally relate.... Hang on to your music TimerLady. It's worth it's weight in gold!!!