Lord helpn me this Senior Project for difficult child is going to be the death of us

bby31288

UGH. I am not sure if I mentioned, but we relocated to Louisiana with DHs job. easy child 20, stayed in NJ, difficult child and easy child/difficult child 3 came with us to Louisiana.

They adjustment has gone way better than anyone could imagine! We moved in Aug the girls started school at the end of Aug. The school here started early August.

In this school a Senior Project is required to graduate. When I tell you this is so hard, I am having trouble following it. Everynight this throws difficult child into a huge screaming match, which ends up with her usually shutting down. I am sitting here trying to figure out how to do an out line from her thesis statement. They give very little information. UGH. Looks like a call to the Guidance Counselor or teacher will be necessary.

Last edited:

ctmom05

Try and structure a relaxing moment, like just the two of you sipping tea in a quiet kitchen or whatever works. Start with a very general comment like "Tell me about your senior project." Let her take the lead. You might be better able to structure the conversation from there.

Meanwhile, book some time to talk with someone at school to get a clearer picture of what's expected. This may even be a good time for you to share your concerns and get some feedback.

Last edited:

DammitJanet

I think this calls for the old fashioned way...colored index cards! Obviously this is meant to be a big project so it is going to take some time so I would get some of those cards and first start with working out a "working" thesis statement which can be changed as she goes along and finds more facts. Put the thesis statement maybe on a whiteboard you can erase and modify as necessary. Break colored cards up into information to support the statement...like the paragraphs will. This makes things SO much easier.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
BBY, does your difficult child have an IEP? If yes, when I worked at our local high school they made accommodations for students with IEPs so you might want to check on that if she qualifies. Even if not, I hope the school is helpful.

Suz

bby31288

Yes she has an IEP, but its for Math. I don't think she qualifies for English. I have to say Janet they are great ideas, but trying to not sound so dumb...I have no idea that a Thesis statement is. I have never had to do anything like this with easy child 20. She took her High School Proficency test passed and that was all that was needed. I feel so stupid trying to help her, I really have no idea what they want. I guess school wasn't the best for me either. I'm trying to encourage her by helping her, doing how we think it should be done and then bringing it in. Her idea is to just go in and say she didn't know how to do it. That's not gonna work. She has to attempt it. At this point I haven't told difficult child, I will just settle for a passing grade!

Our difficult child had to do a Senior Project as well, so I feel for you both !

I don't know how your difficult child's project works, but ours had to come up with a community project, research and write a paper, perform the project, document it, and present it to a panel of 8 judges! The student also had to find their own community mentor -wow that was the hardest part as difficult child hates to ask anyone to help him... When we first heard about it, we really thought there was no way it would happen - we were struggling over the regular school work for goodness sakes! difficult child had a 504 Plan, but the principal refused to let any student get a break on this. No project, no graduation... Both of my boys were boy scouts, and I can tell you that this Senior Project was much more involved than a Boy Scout Eagle Project.

It took us both a long time to come up with just a subject - but difficult child finally decided he wanted to tie his project to self advocacy for disabled individuals. I was thrilled, because I thought his work would help in his own life! He decided to help an advocacy group develop a web site - as this is right up his alley. Eventually things fell into place - but we had a real shocker the night of presentation - absolutely no parents were allowed inside the school! difficult child's evaluations by the judges were rather humorous in retrospect. They tried their best to give him a "good evaluation", but it was obvious that difficult child was his usual taciturn self. Somehow he made it through.

If I had it to do over, I think I would have backed off a good bit more and let difficult child take the lead. difficult child absolutely needed assistance finding a mentor , but once we found someone who agreed to take on the job, the relationship developed on its own. The mentor really took her job seriously, and she and difficult child still communicate. She has been instrumental in finding some paid computer jobs for him as well. Having the mentor really took some of the pressure off at home. Could you find someone who would be willing to help your difficult child? Maybe a former teacher that she liked? Our school had one teacher whose only job was to coordinate the Senior Projects, and he helped to develop some community mentors. Is it possible you have someone like that at your school?

I think that you both will be much happier if you don't have to be very involved in the project. I would definitely call upon the school for assistance. Believe me, your difficult child is not the only Senior struggling with this task. I know it seems impossible right now, but all 250 students in difficult child's Senior class finished a Senior Project - even the most disabled students...

Valerie

KTMom91

In this case, I would contact the instructor and ask for clarification on the project. I'm sure some info was handed out, but if your difficult child is anything like Miss KT, it's in the bottom of the locker/backpack/floor of the car/wherever. And if this project will make the difference between graduating and not graduating, I think you should check into it.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Yes she has an IEP, but its for Math. I don't think she qualifies for English.

It still wouldn't hurt for you to contact her counselor to see if any accommodations are appropriate, especially since she is a brand new student in this school.

Suz

Star*

call 911........call 911
Welcome to the South! It's not as bad as it sounds....and you can contact her teacher for a one on one call. Your daughter doesn't even have to know unless you want her to. But I don't see a reason she shouldn't know.

If that doesn't work? There is always a boat rental and lots and lots of back water swamps. (no no no! .......I'm just sayin')