LOST with a 5yrs old with ADHD-ODD-Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)-Anxiety-"Mood Disorder"

KidTrip

My daughter was diagnosis in Jan with ADHA-ODD-Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)-Anxiety-"Mood Disorder". She has seen a theripst every week sense then. She has seen a pshyc. 2 times a month sense than. They started her on Adderall and Tenex, and now has been switched to Vivance and Tenex. She is so very smart, test 1st n 2nd grade level in everything, BUT emotional. She does GREAT at school and even daycare now that school is out. But the moment she walks out of the classroom, it turns into a war with her. She does have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and needs a plan for everything, every min that she is going, and mind you she has ADHD and she is going at least 18-19 hours a day, and thats an improvment from before she got on some medication. I am really trying to figure out what to do, because therepy seems to help with the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) besides the always needing a plan, and trying to find the right medicaiton, but dr doesn't seem to help, but really only child pshyc in the area. Running out of options and any help anyone can provide.

KidTrip

At home, public, any were buts a learning envir. Which her therp. said that it might just be her "thing" that she does well at, untill she get board.

BloodiedButUnbowed

I would guess, and this is just a guess, that your D needs a lot of rules and structure to be successful. I might ask (if you don't already know) about the type of structure she has at school; for example, charts, schedules etc. Ask her teachers if she seems to check the charts, and if so, which one, and how often. Then you can use the same chart at home, of course, replacing school activities such as "circle time" with home activities such as "brush teeth."

InsaneCdn

Another common "school only" challenge:
Has she ever been tested by an Occupational Therapist (OT) for sensory issues?
Because school can really "overload" some kids.

KidTrip

She had an Occupational Therapist (OT) see her 2/wk till she was almost 3 because of issues like that, she has a cycst on her pineal gland. Do you think that maybe I should have her retested for those issues now that she is older??

KidTrip

We have tried these, but she looses intreste so fast. I do think that maybe I will try again sense things are getting worse.

Ktllc

Welcome, if she has a history of sensory issues, yes I would really advise you to have her re-evaluated. Sensory is not linear and things can go in phases: better and worse and better again.
Does she have any special accomodation at school? Can you use visual schedules with her when you are home and about? Since she is so smart, you might be able to just used a written schedule of what is going to happen during the day. Teach her to refer to her schedule to cope with anxiety.
A lot more people will come with more advise. You have found a great place.

InsaneCdn

Now that she is older, she is exposed to a whole new layer of sensory input... so yes, I'd be looking for a re-evaluation.

keista

Ditto on the sensory re=evaluation.

At that age, I was told that DD1 was an Angel in school, but a little devil at home. In second grade it turned around. She was fine at home, not so much at school. in my opinion culturanta is onto something with all the schedules. Right now school is very structured and she gets comfort in that - she knows the plan and what will happen next.

buddy

I would guess, and this is just a guess, that your D needs a lot of rules and structure to be successful. I might ask (if you don't already know) about the type of structure she has at school; for example, charts, schedules etc. Ask her teachers if she seems to check the charts, and if so, which one, and how often. Then you can use the same chart at home, of course, replacing school activities such as "circle time" with home activities such as "brush teeth."

That is a great idea for consistency!

KidTrip

As far as our morning routine, where starts our problem, I went and got her own alarm clock last night, and we set it together, and sits where she can reach to turn off when she wakes up. It seemed to get her up, but than it was getting her to get out of the bed. So we did get an improvement. I did go and get a white board last night to help with a schedule and task list. The one issue I run into, is that my husband works out of town, 98% of the time, and acting as single caregiver for the two, it is hard to set a schedule. I know that I need to be more structred with the kids, and if any one may know of a resouce on the web to start some better organization that would be greatfull. I do thank everyone for their input, and trust me when I say this, I have taken it ALL in and am trying ANYTHING at this point, as of course I LOVE MY DAUGTHER and just want to get as close as a happy home as we can get at this point. Very stressed! Thank you!!!

buddy

Great start. It is so easy to say to do these things, but you are right...setting even simple things up is a big effort. I am organizedin some things and very disorganized (and get more so with stress) in other areas.

Sometimes I feel (as a single caregiver too) like I am just treading water......

KidTrip

Wish us luck today, we see a new pshy with hope they might be able to help a little more than the last. Her "issues" as we call them, have become more outbursts and what not. This morning it turned to hitting screaming kicking a bitting again, we have had a couple months with out these. Wish us LUCK!

T

TeDo

Good luck. Have you been able to figure out any of the triggers? THAT will help the psychiatrist more than the actual behavior at least as far as an accurate diagnosis goes.

KidTrip

Well things went well at psy yesterday. Well I think. He seemed to think that as far as her behaviors, not so much ADHD behind them. He seems to think that her behaviors are more likely to be caused by the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and Anxiety. He put her on Prozac 5mg to try and help and see if the behaviors get better. Any thoughts on putting my 35lb, 5 yr old on Prozac?? I have my concerns, but the thought that he was very suprised that after all this time, the old Psy did not start treating her for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and Anxiety yet, and that is mainly what her Therepist works with her on weekly. ANY thoughts??

keista

Pay attention to change in moods!. Prozac is a godsend for some, a nightmare for others. For DD2 it was a nightmare. Despite her symptoms getting worse, they kept increasing the dose. I finally took her off myself and changed psychiatrists because the one we were seeing refused to admit that it was the prozac causing it.

buddy

My son has an enzyme condition that makes Prozac not safe for him but before we knew that....his pediatrician did trial him on it (he was in 4th grade, about 50 lbs)....we built it up 1 ml by 1 ml over weeks and weeks to make sure he did not have a neg reaction. He didn't (physically) but his mood became very ugly and aggressive. Several others here have had problems with it too. (or other medications in that class) Others have had it work well. The only way to know is to try and be strong in what you feel is right. Clonidine helped my son more than an AD at that time.

T

TeDo

I agree with Keista. Our experience was worse than a nightmare. It put him in the psychiatric hospital for the first and only time in his life so far for EXTREME aggression and defiance. The symptoms appeared so gradually (over a period of 5 months) that I didn't see it coming until it exploded. Be VERY cautious and it might even help to keep a journal. If I had done that, I might have seen the pattern.