Lots of temptation

Wiped Out

Staff member
this coming weekend. I figured if I posted here I might hold myself more accountable.

We are headed to Michigan today and will be there through Sunday.

Tomorrow we have a bbq at mother in law's and fill's house. Sure to be bbq pork and lots of homemade tortillas-a huge weakness of mine. Later Friday night we may end up ordering our favorite pizza. Saturday is husband's class reunion. Have no idea what food is being served. In addition sister in law and niece usually end up making us a huge breakfast on Sunday morning, eggs, bacon, fried potatoes, and, of course, more homemade tortillas. All of that is not to mention all of the other meals.

I have worked too hard the past 4 months to totally blow it this weekend. on the other hand, I don't believe in totally depriving myself. Cross your fingers I am able to make good choices!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Sharon - crossing fingers for you - here's something I have found to work for me...

Spread the food out all over the plate so it looks full but isn't heaped up. Take a little bit of everything. Grab 2-3 tortillas. (They're for me, so there are no carbs involved. Kind of like charity bake sales...)

Eat S.L.O.W.L.Y. and drink lots of water in between bites.

Somewhere I read that the taste receptors in your brain enjoy the first bite more than the rest. So savor one bite.

And if you blow it? One weekend. That's life. Just bring me some tortillas!!!!!

N

Nomad

Wishing you well!!! Will you be able to exercise????

We were out of town for 4.5 days this past week. I found a gym and exercise there for two days. On the other days,I used my daughter in law's treadmill.

I ate very lightly for breakfast and lunch and ate normal dinners out (really nice ones actually) and light desserts.

When I got back home, I went to the gym and had a really hard work out and went right back on my program. The next day I had weigh in. Guess what? I lost 2.6 pounds. I am thrilled! Believe me...this is unusual for me...normally travel is a big temptation and problem. This plan worked for me.

So, that's my new plan for travel...exercise, eat very lightly for boyfriend and lunch, normal dinners and tiny desserts.

Hang in there Sharon...crossing fingers for you....keep up your faith and strength!!!!

Star*

call 911........call 911
My secrets helps are:

Using small plates - and filling them

That commercial of the woman eating the frosted honey buns and picturing them glued to her butt. THAT one always makes me think twice - twice - once for each buttocks. Did you know that one iced honeybun has 1200 calories? That means I can have 1 honeybun and 2 yogurts and that's it....NICE diet star...lol. Ahem...

READ LABLES - watch your SUGAR grams -

READ LABLES - if HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP are among the first 5 ingredients - EAT IN MODERATION.....

READ LABLES - WATCH YOUR SODIUM intake

Eating breakfast - Oatmeal with 1 tsp butter/marg, 1 tsp Splenda blend and 1/2 cup 1% milk and a piece of fruit and 1 piece of low cal toast will keep you full until about 10:30 - then have some rice/sesame crackers (get them in the Asian section - you can have 16) 130 cals. until lunch.

YOu can do it.

LIFETIME ON THE HIPS - A MOMENT ON THE LIPS......

REPEAT......

And what is the one I learned here..........????

it was really cute......

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS.....REPEAT......

THEN PUT PICTURES OF HUGE, OBESE WOMEN UP ON THE FRIDGE AND PASTE THEM ON PACKAGES OF BAD SNACKS.....KEEP GRAPES HANDY and good snacks!

:D

trinityroyal

Sharon, you CAN do it.
I don't think that depriving yourself entirely is the right way to go. I find that when I do that, I eventually bust loose and eat something REALLY unhealthy. Maybe you can pick 2 or 3 of your favourites and indulge in those things, while being careful with the rest of your eating.

I like Nomad's approach of small breakfasts and lunches, a nice dinner, and then just a bite or 2 of dessert.

I wonder if my buffet strategy will work for you?
Whenever I go to a buffet, I take a teaspoon-sized portion of each dish that appeals to me, which usually works out to one medium-sized plate, not heaping. That way, I get to taste everything, but I don't end up eating WAY too much and feeling horrible.

Enjoy the weekend, try and get in some exercise, and don't beat yourself up, whatever you end up eating. It's a journey, and sometimes we have to stop and look at the sites along the way (or in this case, eat the tortillas).

Trinity

Fran

Former desparate mom
Enjoy everything but eat half of what you normally do. No one can live life without enjoying the finer things. Our problem(rather mine) is once I give myself permission I have too much unless I plan what I will eat before I get there.

Don't you wish you didn't have to spend so much energy on eating and weight? You would think after all these years that you would be stable and eat normally to maintain that weight loss. I have never weighed the same 2 years in a row of even 2months in a row.

My biggest problem isn't ever meals. I don't eat a large amount. My problem is grazing and always will be. It is my downfall.

Hopefully your time away won't be too difficult. You are beautiful regardless.

M

ML

I agree with small plates. My therapist just told me that I should hide all the big plates and *only* use the small ones; that studies are showing when people use smaller plates they eat 25% less. It's worth a try. Good luck, I know you will make good choices.

N

Nomad

I think the book Mindful Eating talks about those studies and other things.
It DOES work.

husband and I almost always (90% of the time) use the little salad plates that come with the sets to have our dinner.

We are very much accustomed to this now.

It's probably a little harder to do at a restaurant...but one could pull it off at a buffet, I believe.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks everyone for the good ideas and good thoughts.

Friday I think I did o.k. I ate just a small breakfast and no lunch except my Fiber 1 Bar and a yogurt because we had a bbq at inlaws at 3:00. I did have one and a half delicious rib and very little pasta salad. Then we ordered pizza at husband's friends around 7:00. I actually stopped myself after two small pieces! I think that was due to all of you!

Saturday I did o.k. until after the reunion. The dinner wasn't that healthy but it would have been fine had we not stopped and bought ice cream and toppings afterward. I was going to buy some ww ice cream but then decided why not (I probably shouldn't have but let me tell you, I thoroughly enjoyed the cookie dough ice cream with caramel and chocolate topping, along with whipped cream-I had two small bowls (two little scoops in each).

Sunday, well, we were at my niece's and great niece's birthday party. The hamburgers were swimming in grease and delicious, I also had a bit of pasta salad. Then for dinner we were driving home so I ended up with McDonald's.

Both husband and I were glad to get back to healthy eating and our workouts today.

I think, overall, I did better than I expected, so thanks again, you are all great!!