Made a HUGE mistake at work.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
This week. I forgot to do something that resulted in my project not installing.
Hard to explain what I do that wouldn't just bore you to death, but trust me, this is not minor.
I write everything down and make checklists because I can't keep things in my head, but the past few weeks have been so incredibally stressful, that I can't see straight.
Are there any prescriptions that can help til we get worked thru this? I don't really feel depressed, off and on, yeah, but its not consuming, so its not that, its just that I can't keep successfully carrying the load I am carrying right now, but I don't really have any options to change it much at the moment. You guys know this better than anyone.
Something's got to give. I just don't know how to make that happen. I am trying to keep plugging along with the school to get difficult child settled there, but its a slow, slow process. I'm looking at other options that might be better quicker, too. But it just takes time.
I know I'm a little ADHD. Never medicated for it, never really been a big problem. Would that help?

trinityroyal

Oh dear. Were you able to dig yourself out from the mistake, or is it unrecoverable.

As for the ADHD, medications might help you. I know that the 2 things that help me are a moderate caffeine intake (regular ADHD stims are too strong for me, and I end up getting really sleepy and passing out), and a very rigid, almost ritualistic external organization structure.

If you're already doing checklists and notes, then I can recommend some refinements (colour codes, gantt chart, stuff like that...although I hesitate a bit, because getting them set up properly will heap more work on your plate when you're already having trouble coping with what you've got)

But...maybe it is time to explore stims.

Hope you find the answer.

Trinity

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Yes, it is salvaged with no impact to the client. Still doesn't take away the fact that my supervisor is out today so I am dealing directly with the officers to handle it. Tis not good, tho probably won't get fired *this time*. But something's gotta give.
I could have sworn I did what I needed to do. Its checked off my list hanging on my wall and everything, I talked to all the people I needed to about doing it. But the evidence doesn't lie, I didn't do it.

trinityroyal

Sometimes successfully salvaging a disaster can make your bosses think as well of you as if you did the job right in the first place. Glad to hear that there was no impact to the client. Whew!

But yes. Too many close calls like that, and there could be big trouble ahead.

Let me know if you want further detail about the organizational systems I've put in place to keep my head on straight. I have to be pretty rigid about them, but they do work.

Trinity

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Shari, I can tell you from my experience that this happens to everyone at least once in their lives, ADHD or not. My supervisor never knows what to say when she asks me "what happened to X" and I look her in the eye and say, "I forgot about that one while working on Y".

Keeping checklists is the only way I can function. I'm the "project person" so I get all the weird projects to complete, sometimes more than one at a time. Things fall through the cracks.

One thing that helps me when I get scattered - a nice hot cup of decaf tea (yes, even in the summer) with lots of sugar or honey, then a little extra sleep. That may not be an option for you, but if you can sneak in a few extra minutes here and there, or even a catnap...

Abbey

Spork Queen
Hugs, Shari. We've all been there at one or more points in our lives. (I should have a chalk board for me.) Whether you did or did not screw up is not the point. Most people are human. haha...that sounds kind of funny. They understand or will quietly retreat as they know THEY have screwed up and want to blame it on someone else.

Hope it all works out for you in the end.

Abbey

lizanne2

Shari:

Glad the work was fixable. And taking ownership of the issue and resolution is big. As, I was told when I once(okay twice or so) erred at work....it is the solution that is remembered. And the integrity and work ethic of the employee.

I will talk for me..... I too have thought off and on about my own ADHD and/ or intermittent depression as the apple probably doesn't fall too far from the tree.... and was for a time on Zoloft. Am considering the stimulant idea now.....

But short of that , I too feel something has got to give. Because of that I am terribly underemployed... And I have found a few other warrior Moms who understand my frantic pleas for help. I kind of build in crisis planning. If work is kicking up, I pre plan crisis care with a warrior mom. I f home/kids are starting up, I solicit a pretty cool co worker to be current on my projects so I can try to resolve issues remotely for a hot second. It sometimes works and the crisis passes.

I am betting however that you are a very valued employee (face it, warrior moms are well trained). I hope that things settle at work you.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Cheap - FREE - WORKS -

GO to the NEWS forum - and look up that exercise I posted.

It involves crossing your arms over your chest and pinching your ear lobes at 2 pressure points......then doing deep knee bends for 5 minutes -

It's scientifically proven and works miracles on autistic kids - and in ED classrooms has shown so much improvement it's brought grade levels up and behavior problems down and in non ED people? It' has increased memory....tremendously silly looking - but I've noticed an improvement in my own memory skills this last week......