Made Piglet mad

JJJ

We are in the middle of a huge winter storm. Piglet's team has their last league game against their arch-rival. On a good day, it would take 1 hr 40 minutes to get there. Now add in rush hour traffic and the winter storm and it may take 3+ hours. Plus the drive home in the worsening storm.

I made a parenting decision that we are not going; the road conditions are too dangerous and it is a flipping game! She is still sobbing. I am just shocked that the other parents are going.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I can't believe they are still having it. I was watching the radar all day and I'm glad I'm HERE and not with you! How ridiculous. Stay warm and safe!

H

HaoZi

I doubt there will be a game, especially if enough players end up not showing.

JJJ

She was the only one who didn't go. Her team won so she is a little happier.

Her coach tends to hold weird grudges so hopefully he doesn't take it out on her.

susiestar

Roll With It
Kudos to you for making the tough call and keeping your child safe. Around here if you want to play a girl's sport after age ten or twelve, you have to travel to your games. Usually an hour each way is the minimum. I will not ever understand coaches and parents who insist on practicing and playing when it is too dangerous to safely drive or is too dangerous to play. I wish more parents put basic safety above some game.

JJJ

Several of the other local clubs cancelled all of their practices -- saving people driving 10-20 minutes. Our girls were still expected to drive 2+ hours.

This morning I am just very concerned about how the coach is going to "punish" Piglet. Hopefully, he just gives husband and I the cold shoulder and leaves Piglet alone.

slsh

member since 1999
JJJ - I don't blame you a bit. I don't know about your area, but when I had to pick up Wee and Diva at 2:30, the roads were simply *awful*, and it didn't look like the plows had hit anything, including the major streets over here. Over an hour to do what is usually a 20-min trip, slip-sliding along.

Would it help if you head off the coach up front? Just tell him that you made a parental decision not to risk her/your safety on the roads, period. in my humble opinion, a totally justified decision.

on the other hand - I know how some of these coaches are. ;) Sigh... short of severed limb or exposed bone, they expect the kids to be there (and Diva's had a couple of coaches where even a coma would not be an acceptable excuse for missing a practice or game). Common sense doesn't seem to be a prerequisite for coaching sometimes.

JJJ

Sue,

I had the same experience at 2:30 picking up the kids from school. This coach is a bit of a difficult child when it comes to respecting the parents of his players. I got along great with him last year but disagreed with him about 1 thing in 1 conversation at the end of the season and he quit speaking to me for months!!!. I very, very rarely go to Piglet's games this year because I don't want him "showing me" that he controls her team. Her regular season is over in 6 weeks and then playoffs could go another 4 -- then we are DONE with this coach.

JJJ

Just a final update....it seems her 'punishment' is over. She got to play 1/2 of their "winter classic" (outdoor hockey game v same rivals as the game she missed). He told her she got to play the 2nd half instead of the 1st because she missed the other game. Whew -- can totally deal with that!