mainstream class #2

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
difficult child II's school SW called me today, and as usual, I could not breather until she verified she was calling with "good news", LOL

difficult child II is in a contained behavior disorders classroom, and at the beginning of the year they decided to let him out and try a mainstream 6th grade science class, he is doing so well, that today she said they've decided to try him in a mainstrem history class as well. This is good news, however I realize the more pressure he has at school to maintain his behavior the more likely I am to experince a nuclear meltdown once he comes home.

Heah it's progress:laugh:

TerryJ2

I know what you mean about not breathing!
Wow, that's neat that he is maintstreaming two classes. Bit by bit ... Way To Go.
I've got my fingers crossed for both of you.

Andy

That is such good news. You deserve that break. I hope your difficult child II is enjoying both classes.

Charmedpea

That is great news. Mine just started a contained class room. Ok so we are going on day 3 monday.

But when the phone rings and they say this is so and so from school how are you? i'm thinking well not good you are calling me. I hate those phone calls..

She has to earn her way out.

Good luck to you let us know how he does.
charmed

Steely

Yay for difficult child 2. So proud of him:D

Boy, there should be some sort of official diagnosis for mom's of difficult children and the trauma induced by a phone call from the school - good or bad.

PTSD - Phone Traumatic Stress Disorder???
Geesh........I fear it is a lifelong disability:mad:

susiestar

Roll With It
I hope that he does awesomely, and truly enjoys his 2nd mainstreamed class.

I know that the year my difficult child was in a self contained class he refused to mainstream ("that lady is stupid. doesn't she know her underwear is showing? If she doesn't know, she should need a license to walk and chew gum. If she does know, is she some kind of recruiter for the area hookers?" - this is almost word for word what he said about the mainstream teacher - and it is ALL true! The lady is very sweet, but has no idea about approp dress for a class of 5th graders. And it drove Wiz nuts, so we didn't push mainstreaming, LOL!)

PLEASE be aware that with more stress (even having fun in the "normal" class is a kind of stress) your difficult child may have more meltdowns at home. Document each meltdown, and if they are just too much, or a sign of difficult child 2 truly not coping, the let school know to put him back in the self contained class for that period.)