Makeup for teens

susiestar

Roll With It
Jessie is interested in makeup. she is VERY appropriate with the amounts/colors she wears. I am actually quite proud of her.

I am wondering if anyone knows of a makeup line that is better than others (and not terribly expensive -she is 13 and our budget is tight) that is easier on acne or causes less acne.

I wear bare minerals and love it. I don't want to share, but may purchase some for her. Just am frustrated by the idiotic marketing of this line and other mineral makeups.

My big peeve is that they all claim to be "chemical free".

WATER is not chemical free. Neither is AIR. I know they mean artificially created chemicals, or whatever, but I still get annoyed everytime I read a description of this.

Are there other brands that are easy on the skin? She does not like the Sheer Cover line (my mom uses it and it feels "strange" in Jessie's words)

Any/all advice is appreciated!

klmno

I've been using NYC because it's real inexpensive (as compared to name brands) and it's oil free. I'm not crazy about it- it doesn't last a long time on my face and tends to go on thin, but these things shouldn't be as important to a younger face!!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I think your best bet is either Clinique or the Bare Minerals. I like the bare minerals because A) she will be wearing them sparingly so they should last a while, B) they are better for her skin that liquids that will clog her pores, and C) when my easy child, who is prone to breakouts, wears it religiously, her skin breaks out less often.

Back when I was a teen, I went to modeling school and had to wear a full face of foundation, blush, powder, full eye makeup and mascara and lipstick. The year that I was in classes, my skin was at it's worst ever. You can cover up breakouts, but they will only come back worse is you use heavy stuff. I know makeup has come a long was since 1978, but why not put something healthy on her skin if she's going to wear it anyway. At least you know how to apply the BM and can show her how to do it without being made up looking. Best of luck. Both my dds' use BM.

KTMom91

Miss KT recommends the Neutrogena blemish clearing lightweight formula (in a square bottle). It's oil-free. Also Cover Girl eyeliner, black, of course, and Cover Girl has really good eyeshadows, too. Lots of colors. She prefers L'Oreal mascara because it makes her lashes look longer. It's in a long silver tube. For lipstick, she wears a mixture of Burt's Bees color and Carmex, and it lasts a long time.

Critter Lover

My daughter started with covergirl when she was younger but once she
tried Clinque she has stuck on it. I got her hooked since I use
Clinque myself but different foundation than she does. She buys the foundation, blush and powder from there.....she L'Oreal and Maybelline on other things....she has also use Revlon.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Susie, there is a wonderful book for young teens who are trying out make up. It's by Bobbie Brown. I bought it for two friends daughters and they absolutely loved as did their mothers.
She is very up front about too much and hard looks.
I'm partial to her anyhow but I think it's a good book for you and easy child.

susiestar

Roll With It
Thanks.

Have any of you used the bare mineral eye shadows? I love the colors, but have a hard time not getting it all over (not Jess, ME). Part of it is I am so nearsighted I have to practically be kissing the mirror to know what I am doing, and then brushes are so short that they are hard to control. LOL, the travails of makeup as you age!

I think I will take her to Ulta or Sephora and have them let her TRY the makeups. She likes Clinique's Superbalm, but the lotions make her skin burn.

She IS having good luck with ProActive though. My mom got it for Wiz, and of course ended up on Autoshipments. And Wiz never uses it. So Jess got 4 boxes of it - all unopened. It is doing WONDERFUL things for her skin. (Not to be gross, but she has had one deep blackhead on her nose since she was about 5. With the ProActive it is FINALLY going away. It was a zit that puzzled a DERMATOLOGIST because 5yos are not supposed to have acne, esp acne that deep and recurring.)

We used to use the AcneFree version of ProActive. There REALLY is a difference between them - and it is worth the $$ to get the ProActive.

Susie

susiestar

Roll With It
Fran, is this the book you mentioned? [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bobbi-Brown-Teenage-Beauty-Everything/dp/0060957247/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229677949&sr=1-5"]Bobbi Brown Teenage Beauty: Everything You Need to Look Pretty, Natural, Sexy and Awesome[/ame] by Bobbi Brown and Annemarie Iverson

It looks like a fantastic book, but I want to make sure that it is the right one. it is funny to think of it, but your SKIN is about the largest organ on your body. AND it is the FIRST line of defense against many problems.

Thanks.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Fran, thanks for the book info ~ just now ordered it from Amazon for kt for a small holiday gift.

Susie, kt uses, I believe, the physician's formula. We aren't yet dealing with acne issues in kt. I know that as a teenager I used mostly Cover Girl products. There's so much more out there for our girls to try.

Good luck.

SRL

I think I will take her to Ulta or Sephora and have them let her TRY the makeups. She likes Clinique's Superbalm, but the lotions make her skin burn.

I use Clinique soap, toner, eye pencils, and mascara but I can't use their eye shadows or lotions because it makes my skin burn as well. Many lotions give me trouble--the one exception has been a hand lotion called Gloves in a Bottle. It's the only lotion I've ever found that doesn't burn my face and it's nice and light.