Marshmellow Test /Adhd at school

Allan-Matlem

Hi,

Here is an article about school and ADHD . In many cases kids are just acting normal to boring education. - there is a marshmellow test - see the extended version on the you tube with your kids, a basis for a good discussion.. There are different video clips , also of teenagers. There are many good reasons why we should delay gratification or more important delay responses and think of problem solving, exploring possibilities. the impulsive reaction is not the best.

https://web.archive.org/web/2010032...g-connections-neuroscience-research-the-class

Allan

crazymama30

Very interesting, and I think very true also. I wish my son was 4 so I could try the test, I think now on a good day he would wait and get 2 marshmallows, but on a bad day he would sit and argue about why he could not have another after he ate the first.

Thanks for posting this.

Allan-Matlem

Hi,

The comments on the different you tube especially by David Walsh
that ' delaying gratification ' is a predictor of success is not what I hold. He tells parents about the importance of saying NO , so thereby training kids to handle frustration. When it comes to easily frustrated and inflexible kids , it is bad policy to make the world an even more frustrating place . Avoid saying NO - ' answer - I am not saying No , but this requires some discussion - I hear ya etc - plan B . Here in my humble opinion it is the ability to delay response and think of a strategy to solve a problem which is more important than merely having self discipline.

Alfie Kohn talks about the marshmellow experiment at the end of his article - Why is self discipline so overrated
http://www.alfiekohn.org/article/self-discipline-overrated/

' Second, what mostly interested Mischel wasn’t whether children could wait for a bigger treat – which, by the way, most of them could[39] – and whether waiters fared better in life than non-waiters, but how children go about trying to wait and which strategies help. It turned out that kids waited longer when they were distracted by a toy. What worked best wasn’t “self-denial and grim determination” but doing something enjoyable while waiting so that self-control wasn’t needed at all![40]'

Allan