Mary, Mary quite contrary, how does your garden grow?

Lothlorien

We'll be doing ours this weekend. Tomatoes, Basil Peppers, Cucumbers, zucchini (if I can get them to gow!).

Add a few tablespoons of epsom salts to your garden....will make the plants bigger and yield more (and it's not bad for you to eat either). Do that for your trees and flowers too.

Marguerite

I have a lovely patch of dandelions

Pick the flowers (and maybe the leaves as well) and use them in a salad. Then they won't set seed and re-grow.

With our garden, bear in mind it is now late autumn in Sydney, but because we are a frost-free area, we can grow stuff in winter too.

Herbs - most are settling down for winter. Basil is just about finished although I've continued pinching some of it back so I'll have some for a while. Parsley - I can usually keep it going through winter. Thyme, oregano & mint are getting woody but still in leaf. Tarragon is currently flowering (or trying to) but I just cut it back hard, cutting off the flower heads, to make a litre of concentraqted (boiled down, reduced) tarragon vinegar. That will allow me to make bearnaise sauce through winter, even whwen the tarragon is dormant in the soil.

Vegetables - currently we are picking loads of lettuce (oak-leaf) which is so thick it is in danger of choking itself in the garden. Brussels sprouts - caterpillars got to one plant but I think it's still alive even though I thought the heart had been eaten out of it. The other plant is flourishing, but still small. I should plant beans now, haven't yet (easy child's wedding slowed me down). Instead, I have tomatoes self-seedede all tyrough the vegetable bed and I need to remove them, they won't do much over winter (I speak from experience). However, if I can warm the roots they might fruit for me. So I'm planning on planting them in upside-down plastic pots (made from clear juice bottles) and growing them against the (metal) fence.

Other vegetables - bok choi (just about finished, they're hidden somewhere beneath the tomatoes), some other Asian greens (I've forgotten what they're called, I just know how to cook it). Fresh chillies are still growing, more fruiting on my small potted chilli bush. Snow peas currently in flower plus a few pods already developing.

I've got some violas to plant out also, we do still get flowers in winter.

One herb I can recommend, if you can find it - salad burnet. It is supposed to stay green through winter, it's pretty (looks like a green fountain of round serrated leaves on long stems) and has a mild cucumber taste. Youcan eat the young leaves in a salad or cook the older larger leaves. I read that because it stays green and growing when just about everything else is asleep beneath the snow, it used to be used to ward off scurvy in winter, eaten as a vegetable or in a salad. Not tat we have snow where we are.

ON the windowsill I have a candy pink miniature cyclamen. To keep it happy, I put ice cubes on it occasionally. Our winter nights here rarely drop below 10 C (50 F). I know, I'm a wimp!

But it does mean I can keep gardening all year round, even if it slows down a lot over winter.

Marg

Fran

Former desparate mom
My mom makes salad out of fresh young dandelions. It's a more bitter salad and she loves it.
I grow tomatoes and zucchini. I may try onions again. I love picking a tomatoe off the branch and eating it with a little salt. Brings back memories of childhood where my dad made a huge garden. I'm sort of situated in the woods so any bunny worth his weight gets in to try to eat everything in site. Despite our best attempts with fencing. Deer aren't too impressed with fencing either. LOL.

Right, now I am in the middle of planting containers. It ends up taking a few days.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I grow dirt and rocks. Maybe some pineneedles. I have a black thumb. Maybe one day I will try to garden, and see if things grow or die.

LOL I kill any house plants within 20 yards of the house but the garden does ok. It really isn't that hard as long as you have good sun and good soil. We only use seed for the corn, everything else I get starter plants from the nursery. Weed as needed, water if needed (in the evening so you don't fry the plants) and just wait!

Although, depending on your pets (or the critters in your area) you may need to fence things off. Back in his youth, Taz would eat the maters right off the vine if I didn't watch him.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Fran, you had me chuckling because I flashed on my grandmother, apron and stockings rolled around her ankle's like donuts, going round the neighborhood digging up any Dandilion plants she could find for salad. Even talking about it I can remember the horrible taste..

Marcie

gcvmom

Here we go again!
My chickens LOVE dandelion leaves -- so it must be pretty good! Just be careful you pick them from a yard that's organic with no fertilizers or insecticides!

mstang67chic

Going Green
And remember to rinse well if there is a dog in the yard!!!! That's why I don't eat my grapes without rinsing. At least the lower ones.

DammitJanet

I give dandelion greens to my iguana.

I have planted two tomato plants, two pepper plants and a yellow squash plant. Not much but enough.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I have started heirloom tomatos from seed - Beefstake. There are 6 little beauties still in the peatpots in my window - waiting for a bigger pot - because I refuse to plant ANYTHING IN the ground here - moles, bugs, leaf footed bugs, fire blight - you name it - it comes here.

I also have peaches and apples. Our plum is dying but the wild plums are growing. WE have skuppernongs, and grapes.....

I'm just not into the garden this year - It's my 3 year front yard fix up time and I've barely separated the Iris. White - tons of white - anyone want to trade for something pretty?

We're also growing Maple trees from seeds from the trees my Mom had to have cut down due to ants. I have 3 survivors....and they are lavished upon greatly.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh! Oh! I'll trade! I'll trade! Do ya like PURPLE? I've got some very striking dark, DARK purple bearded iris, as well as some very pretty lavender ones (more of that than I know what to do with).

And what on God's green earth are skuppernongs?! I hope they're not contagious! :p

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Interesting! I also have some native California grapes growing in our yard, but the fruit is rather meager in size. We've got lots of tiny bunches on it now, but who knows if they'll grow into anything useable.

muttmeister

I have a big yard and it's hard to keep track of everything. Last year when I was visiting my friend in Tulsa we went to an iris show at the gardens there and I saw beautiful iris that were mostly white with purple veining in them. I wrote down the names and vowed to get some. Low and behold, when my iris bloomed I discovered that I'd already planted some. I guess that's one of the advantages of getting old and forgetful; you get lots of nice surprises. LOL

tinamarie1

I grow dirt and rocks. Maybe some pineneedles. I have a black thumb. Maybe one day I will try to garden, and see if things grow or die.

You too? I wish I could have a garden. Ok, so it requires work and Im not really into work these days. As far as houseplants, I have killed a cactus and an Ivy...things that people told me were "impossible" to kill. yeah right

SRL

My back yard is all shaded in so we haven't had a garden for a few years now. The soil wasn't too great anyway and having to pay for town water didn't make it very economical. I miss it.

I took some funky looking leaves from my rhubarb down to the extension office yesterday and got some bad news from the master gardeners. It has an incurable virus and (sob, sob) it's going to have to come out. It took me three years of planting before the stand was established and now after five years it was finally producing big stalks and now this sad end.

I'm not replanting. :-(

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
How does my garden grow?

It doesn't. It has rained so hard, concrete would grow things more effectively...

On the subject of grapes, tho, husband is thrilled that this year, his grape vines are high enough that the goat can't eat ALL the leaves! So he might actually get some grapes this year. How exciting is THAT??!!?!!?
(Yes, my life is that sad. My goat makes me happy.)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip

You too? I wish I could have a garden. Ok, so it requires work and Im not really into work these days. As far as houseplants, I have killed a cactus and an Ivy...things that people told me were "impossible" to kill. yeah right

Me too. Although now it's more brown. I have 3 house plants the kids gave me for MD 2008 and they're still alive (WOW)... I blew up a cactus... Well... It committed suicide. I fed it my leftover coffee and it finally exploded. No joke. It SMELLED, too. This was at work...

husband does the back yard every year. Last year, he planted maters in June and by July they were taller than he was. Also asparagus, zucchini, and poblanos.

This year... The asparagus is back.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Looooove asparagus. But it's too hot where I live to grow it very well. My mom does better with it down by the beach...

Abbey

Spork Queen
Stang, I keep laughing. You grow rocks and dirt??? Now, that's my style. If I look at a plant it will die.

Abbey