Maybe looking at Occupational Therapist (OT)

Ktllc

for Sweet Pea. She had her first 2 sessions of speech therapy (on top of the playtherapy geared toward speech) and Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) almost think it's not a language issue. She signs to good or sponteneously imitates signs. But her very limited vebal expression seems odd to him.
He said he does not have a big enough sample to be sure, but it very well could be a motor planning issue.
Her rustration is increasing I can tell. Specially since she understands EVERYTHING. She used to be behing on that but is filling the gap pretty fast. But then, she just can't express her needs. And you know: toddlers have LOTS of needs! lol
I don't know how soon we would be starting Occupational Therapist (OT) and what it would all entail, but if we keep going at that rate: we are all going to learn ASL!
Her Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) only knows the minimum, like 50 words. I wonder if that will eventually be a problem.
I like understanding stuff and know that I have control (yeah yeah, I know...), and with Sweet Pea's speech: it's like the big unknown. Is she going to be in therapy for ever? Will she ever be able to have clear speech? What is the prognosis for bright little girls with a motor planning issue? How about outside of the house? She already signs to people who have no clue what she's doing...
Yep, lots of questions to which husband woud answer "don't worry, she'll be fine". How does he do it? lol

buddy

hi! I think it is great you want to improve your signing so you can use it as real language for her....research is good on this, if she is really using it as langauge she will develop her knowledge base and language base as you are working on the verbal. One thing to consider is if you are really going to learn ASL or Signed English. I am a huge ASL proponent, it is a full language on its own and has its own rules just as any language. It is not directly equated to English though. So, if at the same time you are going to be teaching Oral language in English, you may want to use sign language as you talk in English. THis is a huge political issue in the Deaf community and I am clearly on the end of using ASL and teaching English as a second language, but your situation is very different. You are going to be using oral English to communicate with her and are working on her speech. Just explaining the difference so when you decide to go to a class, you will understand that if the class is an ASL class you will for sure learn lots of vocabulary and finger spelling but they will emphasize the language structure of ASL and I didn't want you to be surprised/confused. The signs are the same, you can still use them for your purpose of course! there are now wonderful free sites online showing video dictionaries of signs which is so much better than a book. just put it in a search engine and you will find them.

Any way to get a different Speech Language Pathologist (SLP)? NOT saying this person is not good, but I am a little surprised he doesn't work with motor speech issues and it would be great to find an Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) who is fluent in sign language. Kids pick up language much faster if it is being used as you want them to use it....so all convo around her should include signs.

I think it is great if you work with an Occupational Therapist (OT) who understands oral motor issues, do you remember a long time ago when I asked you about apraxia of speech??? Do you still have those links? If this is what he is now saying ....motor issues with the speech mechanism, it might be time to look at that and see if you can find an Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) who DOES know how to work with that. I certainly dont know if that is what you are dealing with, just saying if this is what the Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) is thinking then you may find some support and ideas on those sites.

HUGS to you....It is very hopeful to hear that her overall communication is still developing (thru signs) so for sure increase that mode since you are seeing frustration. Language and communication, in my opinion and research supports...is the big deal here and you have always been on top of that.

EDIT::::OMG you know what just hit me???? IF V has auditory processing problems....there could be a chance, it is only a chance (and more support for your using sign language to be proactive) that she has been unable to progress due to severe auditory processing problems. I think this lends support to having an Occupational Therapist (OT)/Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) who is strong in oral motor development of a child her age to assess. (does she imitate non speech movements with her mouth??? kisses, tongue clicks, sticking tongue out, blowing bubbles off your hand, etc??....non speech movements are not directly related to verbal speech movements...one can do them and still have oral speech issues but it can give you a clue). Her hearing has been tested I think you have said, and so her hearing is ok but no way to figure out the nature of an auditory processing problem with her at this age. Something to keep really on top of.

Ktllc

Wow! Do you really think it could (hypothesis of course, noway to know for sure) be a Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) issue?? She understands though. She was 17 months when tested and scored at a 15months level for comprehension....
As far as non speech movement: yes she does them pretty good actually. She can also make words sometimes. But it is very random and usually only happens once. She then never says it again.
We are using the ASL videos to increase our words as we go. This morning V wanted to know how to say "share" LOL.
I have read all the links on Apraxia of speech and was indeed surprised our Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) mentioned Occupational Therapist (OT). I thought it was supposed to be done by the Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) himself... But I am no expert. And since Early intervention is so proactive, maybe he wants an Occupational Therapist (OT) on top of it. Just to give her ALL the help.
But I do agree, ultimatly, we need a Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) who is fluent in ASL. She picks it up so good, I even frustrate myself over not knowing more.
I have never done signs, but I speak 3 languages: I have a clueon learning new languages: exposure, exposure, exposure!
Well, let's see how it goes tomorrow. I might have to call her coordinator and brainstorm with her.

buddy

Well, they are things to keep a watch for......lots of kids with auditory processing do develop language but have issues, just something that popped into my head....as you monitor her you will find out I guess, her good luck she has a mom who already knows what to do in case and THAT is what is important and what you are planning to do wont interfere with any of those diagnosis in a bad way.

Other motor things cross over too so maybe it is a regional thing, for example I worked doing evaluations for feeding and swallowing because we had the training in anatomy and neuro of the head and neck, but in other settings the Occupational Therapist (OT)'s did it. As long as they are comfortable with it and consulting on the speech/language piece maybe it is an advantage to have both working on it!

Malika

Hi Ktllc. No expert opinion to add on this but I did wonder whether you are speaking to Sweet Pea in French or English? I may have got this wrong but I seem to remember you are talking to the children in French? Is this any kind of issue in the mix?

Ktllc

Yes, Malika I speak to them in French and English depending on the context. If husband is around, I speak English so everyone is included. And a lot of times, V will ask me to translate: English is is "strong" language, but still delayed... just ajusting to his special circumstances.
As far as raising them bilingual being an issue for Sweet Pea: no. You would expect some delay, but not to her point. Not even to the point to qualify for services. On expressive, she is in the 1st percentile. Meaning only 1% of kids her age have less expressive language skills.
In bilingual kids, there is a delay, but if you were to take BOTH languages into account: it would average to normalcy.
Her Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) also told me that lots of reasearch back up the theory that being raised with more than 1 language actually nuture language skills and kids usually catch up by the age of 9.
But I'm sure someone could come in and preach the opposite!
I think as a parent, we have to remain flexible and listen to our kids needs. Know what I mean?.

Malika

Yes, I see. As you say, the "experts" have a field day with disagreeing on this! I'm just interested in the area because I think, through circumstances, something odd has happened for J and he doesn't have a mother tongue... English is really not it, although it was his first language - he communicates fluently but it is definitely not at the level of a native speaker child. And then his French is better than his English but still not at the level, in terms of vocabulary, of a native speaker child... So I hope the idea that it all sorts itself out by the age of 9 or so is quite right! Added to that is his Arabic, which he understands and speaks a little of... What I've understood in all this, I think, is that bilingualism takes some level of work, that it doesn't all just happen by itself. Lots of exposure via stories, different contexts of exposure, etc.
But the problem you are facing with Sweet Pea is not there, it seems. You've caught it so early! This can only be a very good thing.

BusynMember

I can only tell you my son's story.

His speech never regressed, but it developed later. At three he was still pulling me around by the hand and pointing. He had learned a bit of sign language too. He was working diligently with a speech therapist several times a week. Still nothing.

At age 4 1/2 one day he woke up (it almost happened just this fast) and he could talk a mile a minute. It was really bi zarre development, but I was told that Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids often suddenly develop speech quickly. It did not solve all of his problems, but he did start to get less frustrated because he could say what he needed or wanted. He still had speech issues (such as being unable to have a give and take conversation or expressing feelings or thoughts), but we didn't really find this out until much later.

Just keep doing what you are doing. Your child may well one day just start talking like mine did.

C

Confused

Ktllc,
I'm so glad she is getting help now! On her Speech Language Pathologist (SLP), there are many books and I believe DVD's that has all of the words! Yes, you all will be learning together :) Oh I read the others post on the mixed languages. Yes I have heard there's nothing wrong with that, but for some, it can be too much.(I think if they have a learning issue) Im just not sure on that. The others have good points as well. Sorry I cant help.