Maybe...say a prayer for your famililies today - these folks - not so lucky

Star*

call 911........call 911
https://web.archive.org/web/2011090...ml?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk2|78613

I didn't think this was appropriate anywhere else but PE - given the mature nature and violence. Those of us here in PE maybe seasoned, but no one ever could anticipate this. I'm sure the entire family is hurting today. I told DF - I remember the days of locking OUR door & having discussions with our therapist wondering and worrying....about the possibilities and reality of these things.

Thinking of you all today for the support we all received here to make it another day and the wisdom to have found a kernel here that maybe made a difference in our kids' lives.

Prayers gone up for this family - just tragic.

P

PatriotsGirl

That is one thing I can honestly say. I have never feared that difficult child would harm any of us. How utterly horrible. :(

Mom2oddson

I still remember the day that 6'2" Ant stood over me and inch from my nose yelling at me how he'd choke me but I'd hurt him back. I had nightmares for weeks after that.

I refuse to sleep in the same house as Steph until I know she'd received treatment because of her little note about "I need to feels her blood run through my fingers". Not willing to take a chance with my life! And when I took the note to her psychiatrist....there is nothing they could do. I made them put a copy of the note in her record just in case anything ever happened to me.

I wonder how many times this kids parents tried to get him help and weren't able to? it's so sad. My heart goes out to the whole family. Very tragic.

DDD

I had just read that article and once again thought how many tragedies there are in families today. Another Florida kid gone over the edge. How terribly sad for everyone in the family and for the "friends" who will always remember that they were partying in that house. Once again a middle class or above family experiencing violence when everyone sees the family as normal. Mind boggling. DDD

Nancy

I thought of all our members here when I read that. Tragic story and yet a lot of us here can imagine it happening.

Nancy

T

toughlovin

Oh that is just an awful tragic event..... I have to say although my son and I have come head to head a couple of times we both always backed off.... I really have not worried that he would hurt me or do something like this.... However we don't know but those parents might not have thought that either. Very scary stuff.

mermaid

I saw this on the news tonight. How tragic and sad. I wondered if the teen had ongoing problems that weren't acknowledged in the news.

H

HaoZi

I saw this on the news this morning. I wonder if there really are more cases from Florida or if we just hear about them more. I really found myself unsurprised by the story, it just hit my brain as being one more in a string.

M

mrsammler

I can say with certainty that my difficult child nephew was and is entirely capable of this, and that such a thing is nearly certain if/when his mother ever shuts off the flow of cash to him. There is a level of severe GFGdom (I guess what I mean is psychopathy) that's violent and cruel and heartless and bottomlessly selfish that, as far as I could tell in seeing it in my nephew, leaves absolutely nothing beyond the pale of possibility. In fact, more and worse violence seems almost inevitable.

keista

Not sure if it's more prevalent in FL, but FL does LOVE to charge kids as adults and villainize them. This case certainly deserves it, but I have seen so many others that did not.

I can also tell you which parents will be charged with neglect/murder because their toddler wandered off and drowned in the pool or neighborhood pond just by looking up the neighborhood demographics. Ah, yeah. Never heard of anyone in the middle class neighborhoods getting charged even though they had NO locks on the sliding glass door out to the pool, and Dad thought it would be OK to catch a nap while he was supposed to be watching the kids.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
DId it make ANY Of you wonder if THEY were members here? It crossed my mind.

Yes, it crossed my mind too. These days I tend to think more and more about the families of teenagers and young adults who are arrested for violent crimes. Especially when I read the cruel comments some readers of the news stories sometimes leave about how it must have been the parents' fault somehow, for not getting their child help, or for being too permissive, or not disciplining enough, or disciplining too much, or whatever. Those of us who have navigated the waters of raising a mentally ill child to adulthood know that it's just not that simple.

M

mrsammler

Those of us who have navigated the waters of raising a mentally ill child to adulthood know that it's just not that simple.

I think *that* is the principal lesson I've learned from this forum: GFGness is a (hopefully temporary) mental illness, not the consequence of upbringing. It really *is* a kind of madness, I think. A pathology.

H

HaoZi

Not sure if it's more prevalent in FL, but FL does LOVE to charge kids as adults and villainize them. This case certainly deserves it, but I have seen so many others that did not.

I can also tell you which parents will be charged with neglect/murder because their toddler wandered off and drowned in the pool or neighborhood pond just by looking up the neighborhood demographics. Ah, yeah. Never heard of anyone in the middle class neighborhoods getting charged even though they had NO locks on the sliding glass door out to the pool, and Dad thought it would be OK to catch a nap while he was supposed to be watching the kids.

I recall quite well. Grew up in FL, moved away when Kiddo was little, still have family there. Knew two families that had a toddler drown and went to school with a number of kids with records.

M

mrsammler

The latest report is that the kid had taken 3 hits of ecstasy before "deciding" to kill his parents. And that he'll be pleading not guilty due to temporary insanity.

It's just sickening. I remember telling friends in '99, when everyone was so shocked by Columbine, that from my experience as a teacher, there's a period in many (not all, but enough to be notable) teenagers' lives when they have detached from the simplistic, inevitably disposable morality of childhood but haven't yet replaced it with the more complex morality of adulthood, and that during that interstitial period, they are capable of the most heinous misdeeds, and need to be watched closely until they embrace a larger, adult morality. I knew many kids who did really outrageously amoral things in high school--lying, gross selfishness, cruelty, vindictive & hateful behavior toward adults and other teens--and then, when they came back to the school to visit teachers a year after two after having started college, they invariably apologize in great shame. The teen years can be SO dicey.