Maybe the end of the world really is going to happen

muttmeister

I am sitting here shaking my head in utter disbelief.

According to an article I just read, "The anti-gay group, Westboro Baptist Church, has promised to picket at the scene of the Newton, Connecticut elementary school shooting.WBC member Shirley Phelps-Roper tweeted: “Westboro will picket Sandy Hook Elementary School to sing praise to God for the glory of his work in executing his judgment.”

And guess who has promised to demonstrate against them? The Ku Klux Klan!!!!

There are no words....

BusynMember

That makes me so sick. Hopefully the cops will hold them away at a safe distance so nobody has to deal with them. (I'm sure the KKK won't be welcome either). That poor community. Maybe the media should go silent for a bit and let the people just heal. All the excess publicity is attracting our kooks to the tragic scene.

svengandhi

My oldest son, 22, my mildly Aspie son, wants to organize our Scout troop to go up there and act as part of the human barricade to block the Westboro people. It's my understanding that there are groups of people who go to the protests to block the views of the mourners from the church members. H and I have talked about it but since he won't drive over bridges, it's not going to happen.

The church people came to a town near mine, one which is heavily Jewish, and applied for a permit to demonstrate in front of a Jewish day school. The permit could not be denied legally but the official who granted it gave the school a heads up and it closed down 2 hours before the church people arrived. The story I heard was that nobody but the police were there when they came and they cut their demonstration short because it wasn't getting any attention.

DammitJanet

Oh I hate that so called church. Where does anti gay come into play anyway? And why the kkk. So out of hand. We need to get NAMI up in arms to go and stand in groups 10 feet deep holding signs many feet high so no one can even see those church people. Im sure such a large group could gather enough people to line the roads if they put out a call for volunteer for duty. Idiots.

Calamity Jane

Such hateful people. Really, haven't the families experienced enough rage and hate? It's just unimagineable that groups like Westboro maim the spirit of the law and contort it to their own satisfaction. If Westboro shows up at the cemetary, I hope the families will be shielded. They've lost everything; can't they be shown a little respect?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I do tend to wonder.......... It's as if the entire world has gone insane all at once.

Shaking my head trying to figure out wth anti gay has to do with innocent children dying and wth the kkk thinks they need to be there for??? I'm sure I didn't miss anything quite that big. omg

Bad enough they're getting death threats for the funerals. Leave these poor people alone for godsake and let them lick their wounds and grief in private. Makes me so furious.

witzend

There is a group of hackers ("Anonymous") who broke into WBC's system and has released all of their contact information. I do wish that they had released all of the credit card numbers and bank account information instead.

Lothlorien

They demonstrated in NJ a while back and for the life of me, I cannot remember why. They are a disgusting group. There were so many people that volunteered to keep them away from the funeral home that they were many, many blocks away.

I felt all warm and fuzzy inside when I read how Anonymous hacked them and published all their info. Apparently Anonymous has started a petition on whitehouse.gov to make WTC an official hate group.

So refreshing to read things like this, in these times of grief.

http://tinyurl.com/cgfqzqz

donna723

I haven't heard the KKK part. I was hoping the Patriot Guard bikers would show up but they don't come on their own - only if they're invited by the families. One of my cousins and her husband are part of that group.

The way I understand it, the Westboro Baptist "Church" is anti-gay to the extreme and they believe that the US government is condoning homosexuality and is overly tolerant of homosexuality in general, gay marriage, gays in the military, etc. So when terrible things happen, like if someone in the military is killed in action or innocent little school children are shot down in their classrooms, they claim that that is God's way of showing his displeasure at the government's position on homosexuality. According to them, that is God's punishment on our society for being too tolerant and not hating enough. Makes absolutely no sense to anyone but them.

B

Bunny

I have to say that I am normally very happy to live in a country where free speech is a right guaranteed to all - until Westboro shows up. Then I wish there was some legal way to shut them up.

Really, how much more do these poor families have to take?