medication fight

L

Liahona

Bit of history: X says nothing is wrong with difficult child 1. I'm just trying to medicate him into submission. When medicated in the past difficult child 1 was willing to take medications until he got back from X's house. Then it was a fight. X refused to give difficult child 1 medications. We went to court. I won. Court told X to give difficult child 1 his medications and stop bad mouthing the medications.

Residential Treatment Center (RTC) tries to medicate difficult child 1 and same thing happens.

Now, psychiatrist has put difficult child 1 on 50 mg Seroqel. (Probably misspelled that.) difficult child 1 comes back and says he did not take his medications. Based on history I'm looking at an extended fight about this. Even if I take X to court it doesn't ensure that difficult child 1 will get his medications. X will just stop being defiant about it and start being sneaky. (Harder to prove to court that it is happening.) difficult child 1 has a 4 day 4 night visit next week that he will probably not get his medications for. What is that going to do to his body with this medication? What should I look for/expect? Would it be better not giving him any medications at all if it will be so on again off again? (No, medications shouldn't be determined by the idiots antics, but I'm putting the best interest of my child before anything else.)

Chaosuncontained

Wow. I think first *I* would call the doctor. Tell him/her that X hasn't been compliant with medications in the past. Ask what would happen with the on again/off again situation. See if doctor would write a "note" explaining the importance of keeping difficult child on the medications. You have now documented A) that X isn't compliant. B) that the orders are written by a doctor. If X continues to be non compliant you need to take him to court (as someone who is poor as a church mouse--I have no idea HOW I would do that--but I would).

Your poor difficult child. And your X is an :censored2:, ((sorry)).

T

TeDo

I guess I would kind of do what chaos said with a twist to it. Definitely call the psychiatrist and find out what the sudden stoppage of medications will/could do to difficult child 1. Some medications can cause SERIOUS issues if stopped abruptly. X taking that risk could be worth taking him back to court. Know what I mean??

InsaneCdn

Also find out from psychiatrist if there are ways to determine (even if it means a blood test or something) whether or not X is actually giving the medications. The more you have for "proof", the better.

You DO have a journal going on the dates and behaviors and school calls and so on. This is also going to be critical.

T

TeDo

Ditto Insane!!! I never thought of that.

Are you keeping a journal relating to visits and behaviors?

RyanS

Oh, I would be livid! I am so sorry you are all dealing with this. All I could think was, if X is messing around with difficult child's medications, could you even keep difficult child from going to X's house because of that? I hope it gets worked out with out too much more stress.

keista

((((HUGS)))) ditto Chaos, TeDo, and Insane. I so hope the judge starts looking into the "best interests of the child". ((((HUGS)))))

DDD

Do you live close enough to X to have the doses delivered and given to difficult child so that you know he has had them? As others have said it is a safety hazard to take medications irregularly...depending on the medication, of course. Sending hugs. DDD

DammitJanet

I was also thinking...seroquel comes in an extended release form so if he is only going sometimes for one overnight, you could give that and be fairly well covered if you time it right. For the 4 days, maybe you could convince your son to keep it on him and take it without X knowing?

L

Liahona

Bedtime. I'm waiting on the nurse to call me back from psychiatrist.

difficult child 1 is still willing to take the medications. Thank goodness.

I think I could make difficult child 1 responsible for his own medications and he might remember most of the time. But I'm worried this is a case of X actively keeping him from taking them. If difficult child 1 goes on this extended visit this week we'll see what happens.

No, I don't live close enough to have someone else go over and give difficult child 1 his medications. Besides with my X that would be a legal nightmare.