medications Update and Counselling Update

Nikki88

So today is day 3 on the
Risperdal. We have noticed a gradual change in her mood, she [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]actually[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] seems more calm, and more focused. It's definitly calmed her down enough that we can get threw to her when we are trying to do the behavior mod ( using alot of things from love and logic and also parenting the strong willed child) it seems like she can actually process what we are explaining to her, ex- you shouldn't just hit your Mom because your mad, why are you feeling mad ( and we get an answer) or it's not okay to call your sister a b**** ( even though she may be acting like one) it may be a good idea to watch your mouth and tell her you are sorry ( which she says that she is sorry) She's definitively calm and focused enough to understand now. Which is a huge plus. She's also not acting like she all drugged out on it, which was one of my HUGE worries. [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cleaning her room has been a HUGE issue for us, and she will tell you- I don't clean up- my Mom cleans up after me. Last night when I came home from work, she had started to clean her room, and husband said that he didn't even ask her to do it. And she was so happy and proud of herself!![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Her counsaler did say that a few things she noticed were that she seems to really like organisation, I find this funny because she is the first one to leave her messes ALL over my house..lol But I can see that now. She also said that she would like the school to start testing as soon as possible( they told me it can take up to 90 days to complete) because she is very smart, and she thinks a huge issue at school could be that she's not being challenged enough. And again, that's something that's totally possible. My easy child has been in gifted classes since 2nd grade, now shes in high school and in all honors/AP classes. So now we wait with the school, which is super frustrating for both us and the school because it's the county that does the testing and sometimes they take their time. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So things have been pretty okay this weekend for us, I know that it could take sometime to see the negative side effect's of the medications, but so far things are looking up just a bit!
Tomorrow is back to school, and everything could very well go to bad super fast, but for right now I am taking the good news and being happy about it.
[/FONT]​

buddy

Do you have a signed permission to assess??? Using that, they can't go beyond the federally mandated time line and it sounds like your state must use that (ours is only 30 days because the state chose to make it less)... what stinks about that much time (and it is so not necessary, it does NOT take that long to do the tests and write them up) is by this time of the year that means the school year will be over. Just make sure everything is set up and ready to go for next year for sure..... they absolutely can meet in the summer.

Glad things are going better! Thanks for the update.

T

TeDo

Glad to here the positive and I hope it stays that way but definitely keep watching. As for the school, do they have your written request? If they do, have you signed the permission sheet for all the areas you want tested?

Thanks for the update. I like hearing good news since mine usually isn't.

keista

So glad you are already seeing positive results form the medications. in my opinion every good day is a good thing. Even if medications don't end up working out, the difficult child has gotten a taste of how good a good day can be. Heck it defines it for them since they've generally never known anything else. These good days give them a reference point in the future.

Nikki88

Thanks :) I hope the progress continues too, tomorrow I may be on here about to have a breakdown because the school call's me 10 times for bad behavior :/ That's the thing, is that we never know from day to day. And her teacher is sooooo negative, she can have a good day and she will find something to point out, even the smallest of smallest things. It's so frustrating. Almost every other staff member is so supportive of her, but her own teacher is just horrible.

I have signed all the papers, now we just wait from the county to come in. And yep, by the time we are done, we are into next year basically. The thing is that she goes to school year round, so there is not really much of a summer break.

Nikki88

So glad you are already seeing positive results form the medications. in my opinion every good day is a good thing. Even if medications don't end up working out, the difficult child has gotten a taste of how good a good day can be. Heck it defines it for them since they've generally never known anything else. These good days give them a reference point in the future.

That's exactly how I feel :) And that we will take any good day we can get at this point! :) :)

DDD

Amen! It was a huge help for difficult child#2 and I hope improvement keeps coming for you guys, too. DDD

InsaneCdn

The other thing these "good days" do is create a positive feeling about the medications... IF something comes up and this one can't be tolerated, she at least has some idea of what the medications are supposed to do, and will likely be willing to try another... if they try medication after medication with no or only negative effects, they tend to become medication resistant.