Pookybear66

Interesting and timely thread, I was just going to post a simlar question. Whatamess, I want to extend my arms to you in a gr8 big hug. It seems you've been doing a gr8 job holding it all together for the past 10 yrs and now need "ME" time.

I have experienced some of the same things as you in the past few years. My ds was fine during the baby yrs, preschool was a bit challenging in that he just "didn't get it". He knew letters, colors, numbers and such but didnt enjoy the "work" part of it. His coloring skills were atrocious and he still has some motor skill issues. I have endured the 3 hr struggles over homework. At the end of 2nd gr I had the school test him for Learning Disability (LD). He was diagnosis'd with severe reading disability. He is going into 4th but reads on mid 2nd gr level. His writing is crazy. He has an IEP and goes to the resource room for help in all reading/writing activities and testing as well. It works. He can keep it together and I don't believe he is BiPolar (BP).

I am still wanting a full neuropsychologist evaluation and think you should also get your ds tested for Learning Disability (LD) and other things if you haven't already. There may be an underlying issue associated with his anxiety. We recently started w a therapist and he diagnosis'd him with ADD.

My question is this: Is there ANY medication I can put him on that is not going to possibly have the side effect of an irregular heartbeat? He has heart issues already and I am scared this might literally kill him!
Thanks in advance for any/all advice.

Hi there ((((((whatamess))))))

I"ve been reading a lot at the OASIS forum for AS Teens (I know your guy is only 11) and a lot of the parents have mentioned success with lamictal for mood stabilization of Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD).

I don't have any personal experience with lamictal, just passing this on.

Good luck~

I vote "no" on the seclusion too.

I vote "yes" for some seclusion for you -- like in a spa with a mud pack on your face, cucumbers on your eyes and someone rubbing your feet and painting your toenails with just the right color. xxoo

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I haven't read everyone's replies to your thread, but I think you are absolutely right about his anxiety being the biggest issue here. Until you get that treated, and until you get the school to understand how he learns best and in what kind of environment, I think it's going to continue to be an uphill climb for him.

With regard to your question about antipsychotics, I don't believe that it's ever a situation of having to necessarily increase the dosage until it just doesn't work anymore. If that's happening, then it's probably not the right medication and something else needs to be considered.

In my difficult child 2's case, he did start with one atypical antipsychotic to help with his aggression early on and it worked well for quite a while. But then as he grew and developed something began to change in him -- and I think that's when his mood disorder started expressing itself. He did have to switch to another atypical, which worked okay for a while. Then he developed an autoimmune-related movement disorder as the result of a strep infection. Ironically, the symptoms are treated with certain atypicals. Unfortunately, difficult child 2 developed a dystonic reaction to the newest medication we tried. So we tried another. Same reaction.

The movement disorder has resolved, and he is now on Seroquel XR, which I understand behaves a little differently than the other atypicals. There were some side effects that were troubling at first, like heavy sedation and ravenous appetite. But as we titrated his dosage and with more time to adjust, those side effects have improved quite a lot.

You are doing the right thing by asking questions and seeking second opinions. I hope you can find a psychiatrist who is has the experience you need to treat your son. It's a long journey you are on, but with patience and persistence, you will eventually find a treatment solution that is right for your son.

Hang in there!