Meeting went well...

SnowAngel

as I went in very prepared. All my e-mails, teacher reports, medical reports, school recomendations,police report info,etc..were all in plastic covers, organized by category and in one huge notebook. I also looked up the kids' disorders which I made copies of,including the suggested treatment,discipline and
things to avoid. I also took a tape recorder, which I was given permission to use. They apologized for handling Friday wrong and assured me that they would put in place a better plan for discipline. They are also going to reward my son every 30 minutes for good appropriate behavior. The principal, SAT/MET chair person,school Special Education counselor,bus superintendent,district superintendent and his teacher were there. I brought his personal counselor too. The ball is now moving in the right direction and they know they cant mess with my boys and their educational needs.

I declined the IEP meeting until the Occupational Therapist (OT) has seen peanut. This will be resolved next week when he returns to school. I have heard to many horror stories of how the SD leaves stuff out of a IEP.

My advice to any of you dealing with similar situations..Document everything,keep a paper trail of communication with the school,have copies diagnosis's and their discriptions,research what your options are regarding handling your difficult child's diagnosis in school & in an IEP, and totally tape record your meetings. This was the most successful meeting I have ever had and its all because I listened to advice and did my research.

Thank you for your support, it has helped so much.

SnowAngel

Oh..my son's counselor didn't say much. When we got outside he said he didn't do much because I was handling the situation beautifully. He even said I had intimidated everyone in there..You think? :rofl:

meowbunny

It is amazing what good documentation does! Congrats on a job well done.

Now, are they going to take these suspensions off the boys' records, especially since they agreed they mishandled things?

SnowAngel

Unfortunately no, however it wont happen again. They have a zero tollerance policy out here and their song fell into that category.

SnowAngel

I have the intervention plan! :smile: It is so nice that it is finally comming together for my difficult child. I hope we dont have anymore big issues.