Mega meltdown, possible dissociative state updated

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I rec'd 5 calls from school yesterday while I was at physical therapy. kt, apparently, went dissociative & was placed in the safe room. She was exhibiting some self harming behaviors - mostly, though, she was agitated & simply "not there". Didn't/couldn't (?) respond to any of school/day treatment staff. Was unsure & couldn't talk afterward about what happened.

Day treatment therapist has been concerned about kt's exhaustion, of late. Concerned over kt's level of stress due to home stressors (me). kt kept yelling that I was dying yesterday, that she needed to hear my voice.

When I got home from PT, I immediately called day treatment/school & got kt on the phone. The first thing she said was "mom, I was scared you were back in the hospital. I thought you died".

So it's a mental health day for ktbug. Truancy issues be dam#ned. kt needs a day home with mom - needs to see that, for the most part, I'm okay. She can help with some of the things I need to do around here. I'm also calling to have her medication levels drawn. I wonder if we don't have some kind of medication issue.

I'm worried about kt - respite being cancelled this weekend isn't helping. Respite every other weekend got kt out from under my current health issues. It wasn't in her face & seems to have helped her in a big way.

My confused, don't know whether to be attached or not, ktbug. Makes a parent a little crazy.

K

Kjs

Awwweee. She must of had so much anxiety. completely over the top with worry. With you not being home, whe really was worried.

I would keep her home too. She needs you right now.

Hope she helps you out a bit. I sure hope the two of you are feeling better.

tiredmommy

Poor kt, poor you. I can only begin to imagine how upsetting this was for both of you. I don't know if this would be helpful, but could the school be given a copy of your schedule with phone numbers for kt to verify that's why you aren't home if this were to happen again?

bby31288

I can only imagine KTs anxiety. My difficult child has anxiety issues and is afraid I am going to die when she is at school and I am not having any health issues. It must be so hard for your both. I am sorry about respite, I can understand how much it would help her. I am glad you gave her a mental health day! She needs it. Take some time to cuddle!

________
Beth

busywend

Ugh! This is a tough one. Poor kt for being so worried. Poor you for feeling like your illness, that you can not control, caused her anxiety. Ugh!

I hope you both enjoy your day together. Keep it low key. Lots of hugs.

TerryJ2

You poor things.
Enjoy your time together. At this point, it definitely sounds like you need to check out her medication blood levels.
Good luck.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry this happened.

It does make me think that kt is quite strongly attached to you if she is this scared. PCs have a hard time when mom is sick, it can be so much harder for difficult child's.

Does she have a prn medication for anxiety? Could it help in this kind os situation? I am thinking something fast acting like xanax or atarax might hlep. I know atarax is an antihistamine, but it can be quite helpful with anxiety. We use it with Jess.

Sending hugs to all of you.

Susie

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Darned Anxiety.... Poor things. It is such a tough one, doing one thing makes it worse, overstepping her mental bounderies could trigger it any time... how do we ever know how far to push these fragile kids???
I think you made the right call keeping her home. How can you build up her confidance when she is feeling this way? How can you actually relax and start to maybe heal, when you are most likely tense, and a bit anxious?
I feel so bad for you both... I look at K when she is anxious,scared, feeling so unsure of everything and just wish I could fill her up with all of the love and positive I have for her... I can not imagine how you must feel...

Hang in there... :flower:

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Our day was fine. kt was still agitated but for the most part held it together. I took kt along to my doctor's appointment. kt watched my doctor check out my ears, throat & lungs.

kt asked my GP point blank if I was going to die - GP looked kt straight in the eye & replied "no, not anytime soon".

kt looked GP straight in the eye & said "I don't believe you".

It was a good try; GP commented to me as I walked out "she's tough."

Ya think? Geez. :hammer: :crazy:

Steely

:flower:
Sending ktbug a huge hug. She must be so confused, and traumatized. I hope this weekend with mom, quells the storm inside of her. Sending positive thoughts and prayers both of your ways.

susiestar

Roll With It
I can only imagine the fear and pain kt is in. I was 13 when my mom started having symptoms that we now know are PBC (autoimune liver disease). 2 years later we finally got a diagnosis. The diagnosis was lupus. And at the time ALL the literature said that it was a death sentence. Her doctor said it was not, and to NOT go look up the disease in the library. So of course I did.

My bro was away in the ARmy when mom was diagnosis'd. He went to the base library (he was in trainig after boot camp, scheduled to go to Germany). He tried to get leave through the Red Cross, based on what he learned in the library. HE was terrified, it took us several YEARS to get through to him.

Kt has had such a tumultuous life, this threat to the one person she most relies on is truly terrifying. Good for her, being able to tell the doctor she does not believe him.

I wish she would believe him. Only time will disprove kt's horrible thoughts. It has been a hard road for her.

If kt wants to ask a kid how it feels to have a mom who is sick with this, how to cope, etc,,, she can send questions to my Jess. Jess has handled a LOT, I have been sick with this crud since before she was born. We have done a lot of work on coping skills, therapy,etc...

Also, the local hospital may have a support group for kids who's parents have a chronic illness. I know they have classes for kids periodically at our hospital, and I have frineds in a bigger city who take their kids to one.

Just thoughts, I know she is scared.

Hugs,

Susie