Melatonin??? For Sleep???

neednewtechnique

I know this topic has been discussed before, but for some reason I have not been able to find the previous posts on the matter. I am considering giving my 5 year old and my 3 year old a dose before bedtime, because they are SOOOO hyperactive at bedtime and have a very difficult time settling in. They also sometimes have trouble sleeping at night, and my OLDER child, she is 12 is really our difficult child, and her psychiatrist suggested it for her, but being much older, I figured it would be fine to give her. But at three and five, I know there are certain dosages that parents have used at these ages and had wonderful results, but I was worried because I don't want to overdose them..... I have 3mg tablets on hand, that my 12 year old takes two of at night, is ONE 3mg tablet too much for my younger ones? If so, should I get a lower dose, or can the 3mg be broken in half?

I am also curious to hear everyone's experience with this medication and when the best time to give it. Is it 15 or 20 minutes before bed, or RIGHT AT bedtime?

SRL

Melatonin has been used safely and almost always without side effects by parents here for a long time. I feel far more comfortable recommending it than I do any of the regular medications for younger ages.

I understand GNC puts out a liquid formula that will be easier to use for younger children. Most parents give it 20-30 minutes before bedtime as it helps them get to sleep, not stay asleep. You will need to experiment with doses since that's highly variable but hopefully some parents can give you an idea of dosages that have worked for them. You should also check with psychiatrist on dosages for younger children.

neednewtechnique

Thank you, I tried to give them each half a tablet last night, so pretty much 1.5mg, and that didn't really seem to affect them at all, so I think that if it is safe, I will try to give them each a whole 3mg tonight and see if that does the trick.

As for the liquid, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) neither of our younger children will have anything to do with liquid medicine. But the good thing is, they both have learned how to swallow pills to avoid having to take liquid medicine. This seems to work out very well, except for in instances where they need cough syrup or certain antibiotics that their necessary doses aren't available in pill form.

I found the post in the Natural Treatments section, but it doesn't go into much detail about acceptable dosages for children that small. Surely with it being a natural thing, it won't "hurt" them, but I don't really see a need to overmedicate either, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the advice!