Mella? Come out and say hi!

tiredmommy

I want you to get a proper intro, so I'm copying & pasting your original post into it's own thread.

From Mella:
Hi There --

I'm a newbie as well and stumbled onto this forum while trying to find help for my own 5 year old ADHD/ODD son. It's nice to know that there are others who are also pulling on their remaining hairs (that have undoubtedly turned gray) while looking upward in search of an answer. My son was diagnosed last April and to date he has been expelled from 3 daycares, 1 summer camp, Pre-K and last month the only after school program I could afford. As a full-time working single parent, staying at home is not an option. After many evaluations and a lot of paperwork, my medical carrier has finally given me the green light for him to see a child psychiatrist, who has prescribed Dexadrine (15mgs in AM, 5mgs after lunch). I'm hoping (more like praying) that the medications will invoke improvement so that I will be able to also incorporate behavorial strategies as well. Right now nothing, and I mean nothing, is working. Don't get me wrong, I love that little boy with all my heart and he is as smart as a whip, but after a full day of work (oh, did I mention that my lunch hour is spent picking him up from school and taking him to my mother's every day....afterschool expulsion) dealing with him can be down right exhausting. But, he's a great kid between the episodes and I know he's going to make me very proud some day ..... hopefully I'll still be on this side of the grass when that day comes (smile).

Sorry there's no bio on the bottom, I haven't quite figured out the abbreviations yet.

--------------------
-- Mel

Mella

Hello Tiredmommy --

Thank you so much for your kind welcome and the reference link. I will update my profile later tonight and go into more detail about my difficult child's behavior (I also took a quick look at Fran's Board Abbreviations post and now feel up to speed on the forum's acronyms.)

Once again, many thanks.

DammitJanet

Welcome to the board Mel

You are amongst a wonderful group of people who understand just what you are going thru! I have dealt with this stuff for years now and came out intact...lol. My boys are all grown up now.

In fact, my hardest kid now has a kidlet of his own...cant wait for the payback on that one...hehehe.