Members dealing with addiction in their family

Nancy

Watch Private Practice tonight 9-11 pm. If you haven't been following the series, one of the doctors is an addict and they will be doing an intervention.

Nancy

Nancy

I know Kathy, it hits real close to home. The story line has been going on for several weeks now and it's sometimes hard to watch. But it does help validate our feelings and experiences somewhat.

Nancy

DammitJanet

Do you guys watch Intervention? I do. I also watch Hoarders and that one hits me hard. You know I always tell all my secrets on here so its not like I hide my stuff. Im not quite that bad but I have sure thought about calling them just to get someone out to help me..lol. I wouldnt be the lady who tried to hang onto every old diet coke bottle like it was manna from heaven!

Nancy

I have not watched intervention Janet, but I always thought it was interesting that difficult child watched it all the time.

Nancy

buddy

Do you guys watch Intervention? I do. I also watch Hoarders and that one hits me hard. You know I always tell all my secrets on here so its not like I hide my stuff. Im not quite that bad but I have sure thought about calling them just to get someone out to help me..lol. I wouldnt be the lady who tried to hang onto every old diet coke bottle like it was manna from heaven!

Janet, we have some rooms with piles and I have stopped re-re-re arranging our shelves when Q takes things off...now i often shove stuff on them. I keep main areas clean. SO, Q though, he loves free stuff at garage sales (even cords that dont fit anything), tennis balls, golf balls, papers, whatever...and he keeps so much. He watched Hoarders once and said..."MOM! I am a hoard-er-er. " I about died laughing. YUP he is. (luckily once in a while he will all of a sudden decide to grab garbage bags and toss out things, last time he threw my photo albums and I made him dumpster dive!)

Kathy813

Staff member
Nancy, my difficult child liked to watch Intervention, too. I think it made her feel good because she compared herself to them and thought she looked good in comparison. Does that make sense?

S

Signorina

And my difficult child spent the summer watching Weeds on Netfix. Go figure.

DammitJanet

I watch Hoarders, Hoarders : Buried Alive and Confessions of animal Hoarders. Though thankfully I do not hoard animals. I would die before I did that. I did end up almost being on of those people when I was younger. I had two cats, a female who ended up female who wasnt spayed. She ended up having a litter then I managed to get rid of all but two, she had more, you cant keep getting rid of them. Then someone gave me a calico who I thought was a male...ha. Girl. Prolific breeder. I ended up with about 22 cats when I had to move. We ended up having to put all but the momma calico in the pound. Had to keep the calico because she had just had kittens inside my bed the day before we were to move so they had to leave. Beautiful white and orange cats. We gave them all to the no kill shelter in greensboro as soon as they were old enough and the momma ended up getting run over outside our house. No one was too upset. we still had our dog. we didnt get another cat until we got to our new place down here and they were boys...lol

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Janet, I watch the hoarder shows too. They're keeping me motivated. One day I was in the trenches thinking maybe it wasn't such a good thing the girls helped me for a while, maybe they should've just called the show instead.........then it would have at least been done all at once. lol

Now what was a little scary? When the girls were going through stuff I had to fight the urge to take it away from them.......you know, like they do on the show. Probably similar but not quite the same urge. Which is weird because I am NOT a hoarder under normal circumstances. But currently easy child and I are arguing over a high chair. A very old one......one of those medal ones that fold up. I've had it since kayla was a baby and it was old when I got it. It hadn't been used in a while and unknown to me she tossed it on the trash pile. I was NOT happy. I had searched high and low for one like that because it did fold up and could be tucked away. I hate the ones they have now. And although I saved the chair part, I can't find the tray. sheesh lol

Nancy

Kathy I think you're right. I'm sure my difficult child compared herself to them also and thought she wasn't that bad.

Nancy

DDD

difficult child#1 (and many of his "friends") have watched Intervention and had different reactions than easy child's. Among the reactions have been (1) "I'm not messed up like that guy" (2) "He's into heavy drugs not booze and pot" (3) "Can you believe that he was shocked by the intervention...duh, when you see a stranger combined with friends and family what to heck do you think it is?" (4) "If I could go to Malibu I'd be out of here right now." Etc. Etc. Etc. Major sigh! DDD

Elsieshaye

I'm a card-carrying diagnosed hoarder (was evicted for it at one point in my life), and I watch those shows to remind me of how things can get if I dont' stay on top of this. I totally understand watching it so you can look at someone else and go "well at least I'm not THAT bad!", but the reality is that the only difference between me and the folks on the show is one of degree, not kind.

ETA: DS watches a lot of weed and gangster movies, and thinks he is badass. I went to see "Our Idiot Brother", and couldn't laugh at any of it because that is SOOOOO DS.

BusynMember

Love to watch Intervention and especially Animal Hoarders (Animal Planet). Have also watched Hoarder. Just have a lot of empathy for all of those people since I have had so many mental health issues myself. Like Janet, I really haven't held back...hopefully sharing helps some people with their kids. That is the reason I open up here. Anyhow I'm drawn to shows about people with "issues" and always cheer very, very loud for a good outcome!

S

Signorina

Long day, channel surfing w a glass of wine. Stop at Hoarders- due to the chatter on here about it. Episode centers on a 40+ woman whose elderly dad needs to evict her as a last ditch effort to get thru to her. She's spewing venom at this sweet OLD man & all I can think of is "OMG please don't let me still be dealing w (an) ungrateful difficult child(s) as an 80 year old parent."

Eep

Kathy813

Staff member
That rehab on the beach looked so nice that I wanted to start drinking so I could go there. My difficult child's rehab looked nothing like that. It was in an industrial area and the furniture looked like it came from someone's attic.

Who would ever want to leave a rehab in Mailibu?

~Kathy

DDD

Maybe we could get a suite in Malibu for "us". Of course the minor problem is I don't think any of us can afford ten grand a week. It's a shame we have all gone broke...trying to fix our broken difficult child's. DDD