Menagerie expanded by one new reptile...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
of the snake variety!

difficult child 2 came home from school today and told me he saw a baby garter snake in the driveway. He dumped his backpack and ran back out to see where it went. Five minutes later he came back in the house with a small igloo cooler that held the snake. It's now in a glass cage in the garage and difficult child 2 is already planning a trip to Petsmart to get crickets, mealworms and feeder goldfish.

husband, who is deathly afraid of snakes, is probably gonna flip. :tongue:

KTMom91

Hubby says congrats on the latest member of the family. He also said that difficult child 2 should put the snake's tank in the living room, underneath a wreath of dried flowers, and make sure the lid of the tank is loose so the snake can climb out and curl up comfortably in the center of the wreath.

That is why we no longer have the snake.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Uh huh. He is such a card! :tongue:

difficult child 2 already lost the snake once in the garage. Rather than dumping it from the cooler to the cage and leaving it alone for a few days so it could settle down, he decided to try to hold it and dropped it on the floor! Fortunately he caught it before it could slither under the washer or dryer!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well I stand corrected. My friend's biologist husband says it's actually a striped racer and NOT a garter snake -- apparently those are aquatic where we live and my house is way too far from water to find one here. Upon closer inspection, I could see that he was right. These are very fast snakes that eat lizards, bugs, small birds, amphibians, etc. and they are excellent climbers. We had a greenish one last spring in our pomegranate tree!