Merry Christmas?

muttmeister

Not trying to be controversial here but I'd like to hear your opinions.

Lately I have gotten emails, facebook messages, and even comments from real live people (something unique in this world) about saying "Merry Christmas." Most of these are finding fault with,saying "Happy Holidays instead of "Merry Christmas ." They have suggested saying to people, "Which holidays do you mean?" or refusing to shop at stores that say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.

To me that is nit-picky and even a little un-Christian. We live in a diverse world. There are other holidays that are celebrated at this time of year. If you choose to say to me "Happy HOlidays," "Happy Hanukkah," Peaceful Ramidan," Happy Festivus," Happy Kwanzaa," "Happy New Year," "Wonderful Winter," or anything else in that vein, I will take it in the spirit is was offered and be glad you said that instead of "F*** Off." I am a Christian but I firmly believe that, although we should be glad to witness our faith, it is not OK to shove it down other people's throats. I don't really see what is wrong with Happy Holidays. I would definitely object if somebody told me I couldn't say "Merry Christmas" but isn't it just as bad to tell people they have to say that if they don't want to? Why are people so dogmatic and unreasonable?

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I agree. I don't care if someone wishes me a Happy Hannakuh, Merry Christmas, Happy Yule, Kwanza, or whatever...I always just say "And to you also! Enjoy!" To me, "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greeting" encompasses all the joy and unity this time of year brings and that's all that matters. To each his/her own!

If this is the biggest threat in their little life, good for them! There are so many other causes out there that are worth fighting for, such as domestic abuse, FGM, world hunger, etc.

donna723

I don't know why people make such a big deal out of this! Personally, I'm just glad that people are nice enough to wish me a "Happy (anything)". They could have glared at you and said "Go &%!# yourself!", you know!

And I don't think there is anything "unChristian" about the expression, "Happy Holidays". Do some people just look for things to be offended by? Certainly there is nothing wrong with wishing your Christian friends a "Merry Christmas" if you know they celebrate Christmas or wishing Jewish friends a "Happy Hanukkah", but "Happy Holidays" takes it all in. And refusing to shop in stores that wish their customers "Happy Holidays" is RIDICULOUS! Retailers are smart enough to know that several major religions have holidays that are celebrated at this time of year and they cater to all of their customers, not just one group. Why do some people have to interpret this as an insult against Christianity? These people must live very small, very self-centered, very sheltered lives. They obviously don't realize that there is a whole big world out there and that not everyone believes as they do!

DammitJanet

I agree. I say Merry Christmas because that is what this time of year for us but then when Christmas is over it turns to Happy New Years!

tiredmommy

I agree. As a matter of fact, our children and youth are putting on a short program this Sunday where they explore embracing the sacred among the secular because we don't live in a separate world and too many feel conflicted, confused and angry about traditional customs surrounding various holidays.

To me, these emails and posts amount to nothing more than low-level intimidation and have the tone of a chain letter. You want to keep Christ in Christmas? Great. Try being Christ-like. :angel:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I sort-of separate them all out.

There's a reason. I have gotten Christmas cards for my birthday and Christmas paper on my birthday presents for years. Not my parents - they're good - plus, Mom's is on Thanksgiving every few years and Dad's is on Epiphany... So.

Happy Thanksgiving then Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, etc. depending on who I am talking to, then Happy New Year.

If I refused to shop at those stores? I'd never eat. OR shop.

If you wish me Happy Ramadan (???) I'll wish it right back to you and smile at you. So if I wish you Merry Christmas, I hope you hear the feeling behind the words.

That said... I do insist on saying Christmas as opposed to Happy Holidays. My choice. Y'all can say whatever, and I'll hear the feeling.

Promise.

S

Signorina

I sent Christmas cards that say "Merry Christmas" on them - and I don't substitute them out for my agnostic, atheist or Jewish friends. Likewise, I get a few "Happy Hanukkah" and "Happy (Jewish) New Year" (Rosh Hashannah) cards myself. And a couple of "Happy Valentine's Day" or "Happy (Jan 1) New Year" cards from my agnostic/atheist friends who want to send more generic greetings. Of course, I get plenty of Season's Greetings/Happy Holiday cards from friends of all faiths.

AFAIK, it's all good wishes and I will take them where and how I can get them. Of course, I don't purposely wish non Christian friends a Merry Christmas, but they don't take offense with- my "Christmas" cards or misspoken words of greeting. I do try to wish my Jewish friends a Happy Hannukah and they often wish me a Merry Christmas.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I've had a few people I've run across doing this too and it irks me. There are many more holidays being celebrated at this time of the year than Christmas. I'm fine with them saying whatever they want to say as long as they don't get bent out of shape because I'm wishing them a Merry Christmas. That too irks me no end. Ok, if you don't celebrate xmas then just tell me what you're celebrating and I'll wish you that instead, no need to put a damper on my holiday just because it's not your holiday. Know what I mean??

One thing I do miss terribly is the xmas programs kids used to put on at the schools. They were so cute. But all this political correctness ruined it and now most schools have opted out and heck many won't even do a party for xmas either. I don't see why, say if they don't want to offend.........they don't use it as a learning opportunity. Say instead of just xmas songs include a few from others that are also celebrating, as well as do something for them in the party instead of just eliminating it altogether.

Darrin's xmas program was cute because they are of a cute age. But it had no xmas feel and the kids looked a bit out of place dressed for xmas yet not singing songs of the season except one that was so blah on the wording you could almost recognize it as a xmas song. ugh

InsaneCdn

The school the kids went to before we moved... knew how to do it really well. They celebrated EVERY cultural event that had meaning to at least one person in the school. With songs, parties, performances, guests, whatever "fit". From Chinese New Year to Christmas, including Ramadan, Hanakah, Kwanzaa, and everything in between. We didn't have any latin-americans, or we'd have included Mardi Gras!

And because it was so OBVIOUSLY done in an inclusive manner, they got ... maybe ONE complaint a year, from some parent new to the school, and it was always for the first big event.

It CAN be done. But you have to LOVE to be inclusive.

S

Signorina

I LOVE your post InsaneCdn but I could only click "Like"

My son went to a public grammar school for a year that completely ignored religion while at the same time emphasizing a curriculum designed to promote racial unity and anti discrimination. They intensely concentrated on Black History month (which is great) but ignored Latin-America and European-American cultures - which was the cultural background of nearly all of the kids.

I always found it hypocritical. Racial persecution is a huge issue in the modern world - but so is religious persecution; especially evident post 9/11. I'd rather my kids learn about all religions AND atheism than to ignore the subject completely. At their "winter pageant" - they sang about SNOW. On October 31, they celebrated the HARVEST. Good Friday and Yum Kippur were "teacher in-service days" (ie 'off) instead of simply "no school holidays."

That wasn't the reason we switched to a parochial school - but I was glad to do so. by the way - my boys' parochial school sang Kwanzaa and Hannukah songs (and SNOW songs LOL) at their Christmas pageant-despite being a Catholic school.

Malika

Makes sense to me. Often, the people who are most respectful of other faiths are those who have a faith themselves.

InsaneCdn

One of the really frequent complaints was that the school "spent too much time celebrating" - and that they would take any excuse to "party". Even Robbie Burns Day (complete with piper). The Mardi Gras exception came in handy... it really wasn't an "excuse", it was cultural inclusion.

The interesting thing was... even with a BIC (behavior improvement class), AND a very high proportion of new refugees... the school consistently scored at the top end of standardized testing. Maybe partly because they made learning fun?

Mom2oddson

I think it goes beyond Christmas. It seems that so many people (or at least it seems to make the news a lot) when some group will get totally offended at something someone said.

It's as if there is some rule out there that "Nobody should ever say anything that could offend me!".....

And I do believe that we should try not to offend people....BUT... the other side and EQUAL part of that is "We should choose Not To Be Offended!"

Maybe more people need to live with difficult children in there lives. My rhino skin is really think against verbal assaults. If I'm not offended when the "B" word or even worse is used on me.....how can I be offended over how some cashier greets me as I'm checking out.