Michael Douglas--so sad

gcvmom

Here we go again!
The news this morning said it's throat cancer, and in an interview on one of the late night talk shows, he said the cure rate is around 80%, so that sounds like pretty good odds to me. The chemo and radiation treatment is supposed to last about 8 weeks total.

donna723

He was on David Letterman last night. He called it stage four throat cancer, but it's very far back on his tongue. Apparently he knew someothing was wrong for a very long time and had been to several doctors before it was finally diagnosed. The good part is that they don't think it has spread and the doctors are optomistic. It's funny but the older he gets, the more he looks like his father!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
It's funny but the older he gets, the more he looks like his father!

Boy, I'll say!

I worry about his sunken "cancer eyes" though.

I saw the David Letterman interview on the Internet this morning and he said what gcvmom and Donna wrote above. He's going through six weeks of chemo and radiation and said nothing about his life expectancy other than the 80% cure rate, there is no evidence of the cancer spreading anywhere else, and that they are optimistic.

Suz

Marguerite

I watched the Letterman interview, I think it's live when we get it (I know, I should have been asleep by then!). I thought it was very positive, I was impressed with his attitude and having just gone through my own cancer treatment, I understand his attitude. He's determined to do what he can, he's living in hope but also realistic, and easing back on his obligations in order to give his body the best chance of coping with this.
Letterman said, "I wish there was something I could do," and Michael Douglas said, "Give me a hug." But it was almost as if Michael Douglas was reassuring David Letterman, not the other way around.

Good on both of them for raising the profile of this, and also showing that it is possible to LIVE with cancer.

Marg

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I know a guy who was diagnosed with throat cancer, went through all his treatment and surgery and that was about 10 years ago or so. He's still alive and kickin' it. The doctors had to remove his larynx and he has a tube coming out his throat now and uses one of those phones he presses to his throat to speak. Unfortunately, he occasionally smokes through the tube.

My dad had esophageal cancer and his treatment went well - they too attributed it to drinking and smoking.

shellyd67

I saw clips of the Letterman interview also. I have to agree with Donna that he looks so much like his father. I hope all goes well for hiim.

TerryJ2

I know a guy who was diagnosed with throat cancer, went through all his treatment and surgery and that was about 10 years ago or so. He's still alive and kickin' it. The doctors had to remove his larynx and he has a tube coming out his throat now and uses one of those phones he presses to his throat to speak. Unfortunately, he occasionally smokes through the tube.

My dad had esophageal cancer and his treatment went well - they too attributed it to drinking and smoking.

Good news on those fronts, Hearts and Roses. My mom had squamous cell carcinoma and didn't last more than 6 mo's. It's extremely aggressive. And yes, hers was also drinking and smoking. I coudln't remember if Michael Douglas was a smoker, but my husband pointed out that he always has a cigar in his movies. ;)
I know another guy who got squamous cell carcinoma from dealing with-farm chemicals. :(

I think some of it has to do with-early diagnosis. It really makes a big difference.

Mattsmom277

I do hope his treatment is successful. It certainly does look like a burn on his lip to me as well. Very similar to burns that came out on my aunts lip when she went through radiation for a auditory tumor. Strangely she still gets flare ups of burns/sores in the same spots all these years later (I think it's been about 7 years or so since her treatment)

ctmom05

Once you get past the not knowing phase you get a little stronger .. .. ..

Mr. Douglas brings a lot of positves to this experience, but it is very difficult to see him in any other way than the strong vital man we have known for years.

The treatment is likely to be grueling, but stage 4, in any type of cancer, does not always mean that death is near. I'll bet Mr. Douglas can sense all the postive support that is coming his way.