Mid-summer check-in

Wiped Out

Staff member
It's been awhile since we've done a check in to see how everyone is doing with their healthy living?

What's going well and/or what are you struggling with? (I know I'm not suppose to end a sentence with a prepositions:tongue:)

What's going well for me?
*Exercise-I was a bit down during the winter and spring on the usual amount of exercise. This summer it's back up. I'm doing an intense boot camp in the mornings at 5:30 three days a week and going to the health club 2 days a week.

*Healthy eating-For the most part I'm doing well in this area. I'm eating lots of fiber and also having a spinach salad every day at lunch.

Where am I struggling?

*With all the working out I don't feel like I'm toning up much at all.

*I gained 13 pounds over the school year and have only been able to take off a total of 4 pounds. Since I've started boot camp I've only lost 2 pounds:(.

How are you doing?

4 pounds is good!!!! Keep going and don't think those thoughts about toning up or whatever. You just keep going! Bootcamp sounds fun. You're eating healthy foods your body needs and don't worry. Be proud of yourself!

As for me, I'm up 5 pounds from my lowest. Not doing the best, I know I eat healthy foods- but I'm not eating enough and what I do eat(-in front of people, so they know I'm eating-) I don't even feel like eating. Ahhh what's a girl to do? I know others are thinner than I am and I get jealous. I have to not compare myself to others. I'm still going to partial hospitalization.

trinityroyal

Sharon, I'm so impressed that you're attending boot camp. The very idea is too scary for me. As for the weight loss, I wouldn't be surprised if you're gaining muscle from the workouts. Could you be retaining water? That sometimes disguises results.

Let's see:

What's going well:
  • Health: I have recovered from surgery and received the all-clear from my doctor to resume all activities.
  • Exercise: I have started back into my exercise routine. Running, stretches, core strength and pilates every morning before I get ready for work. I'm pleased that I didn't lose too much traction while I was laid up.
  • Weight: I think I'm coming to terms with it. I have been weighing myself once a week, which is a huge deal for me as I've had a lifelong fear of the scale. The number is just that, a number. It's become a way for me to gauge my progress and nothing more. It is freeing to be able to step on the scale and not have it affect my mood for the next several days.
  • Participation from the children: Little easy child is so happy to be active, and he's a great workout partner. He rides the exercise bike while I run on the treadmill, we go on bike rides or long walks. And the babies are enjoying some of the mommy-and-me exercises I do with them. Baby B especially loves being my barbell when I do strength training. Although he's getting too heavy for the job.

Where I am struggling:
  • Healthy eating: I have GOT to stop baking. I know I'm insulin resistant, as is husband. Both of us need to maintain a low glycemic diet, both for weight management as well as overall health. And yet, I keep baking sweet gooey sugary treats. A batch of cookies here, a layer cake there, a cheesecake the next day. I've really just got to stop. It's not good for us and doesn't get us anywhere closer to our goals.
  • I miss my dance classes: I just can't manage to fit them in right now. Aside from my work schedule and having 2 babies in the house, I can't afford the cost of lessons right now. With husband still out of work, I can't justify paying for dance lessons when there are so many things that are more urgent. I have a couple of DVDs, but I've exhausted all the steps and I'm no longer learning anything new from them. I am determined to get back to it, but perhaps this will have to wait another year or so. Grrr.

trinityroyal

Upallnight, you snuck in while I was posting.

It's a hard battle you're fighting, and a slow one. You're progressing in the right direction, you're eating healthy food...that's all good. Try not to compare yourself to others. You need to do what's best for you, what's right for your body.

JJJ

Sharon - down 4 is good!

UpAllNight - up 5 is good!

You are both taking steps in the right direction. As we all know the path is long but each step is one closer to our goal!!!

Trinity - Baking is my downfall here too. I worked hard to learn to bake girlfriend treats for the kids, but I end up eating too many.

I finally gave in and threw myself on my doctor's mercy and he and I have set up a plan to get me healthy. I am down 30 pounds and 2 clothing sizes as well as 3% lower body fat! I was seeing him each month mostly for a support check-up. This time we put 3 months between appointments and he wants me to lose 20-25 more pounds. If I am really needing support, I can call him or schedule an earlier appointment but I really am planning on making that goal.

It is much harder to exercise with the kids home from school. And now Piglet's evening practices have started so I'm having trouble squeezing in gym time even at night. Oh well, I do something every day even if it isn't as much as I want. And they are back in school in 5 weeks.

I don't post on this part of the board too often as I have found that too much support actually sets me back (go figure!) but I do like to stop in on occasion and see how everyone is doing!!

Keep up the great work!!

LittleDudesMom

Hey everyone!

Sounds like everyone has their challenges and successes! That's real life!

Sharon, boot camp is extreme but a great thing for you and husband to do together! I applaud you both! I've found that weight loss can very often take a while to creep up on you. Some weeks you think you've done great and nothing shows on the scale. Other weeks you think, "oh, not so great" and all of a sudden you are down three pounds! Hang in there girl - we all know you are dedicated!

Up, congrats on the five pounds! That is great progress for you. Eating healthy is important no matter which way you want the scale to go. However, make sure you are eating plenty of healthy fats (nuts, olive oil, olives, avocado, whole milk, etc.) when you do eat.

Trinity, you are doing great post babies and post surgery. I'm glad little easy child is enjoying being healthy with mom. I'll address the GI stuff, desserts, etc., in my update below!

JJJ, so glad to hear that you are loosing and staying healthy! You were really the impetus for this board a couple years ago and it's always great to hear the updates from you! Keep on plugging....

As for me, I have to give a huge thank you to Trinity for turning me on to the GI program. It has changed my life more than anything else I have tried. I've had success in the past with WW, but for me, it was too "wide open". My energy level has increased immensely since beginning the GI program. My waist measurements are melting away. In 4.5 weeks, I've lost 18 pounds! I've learned so much about the pitfalls of processed food vs natural whole foods. I'll never eat another low calorie frozen meal again! I've been able to eat out, have company for the 4th, have folks over for grilling, all the while staying on my green light food list! It's been awesome.

This is such a life change for me - in the past when I've done other programs I've mostly limited my portions, counted my points, etc. This change for me has been a whole new way of looking at food and how that food is processed and used by my body. I've not been hungry once in the 4.5 weeks since I started. And or me, that's saying something!

I'm living at about 95% GI at the moment.

Trinity, do you have the recipe book he wrote? "Living with the GI Diet"? It has some wonderful sweet recipes. Last Friday night I had company for dinner. I made the greatest lasagna (with mushrooms, peppers, onions, garlic, tofu, spinach, cottage cheese rather than ricotta, egg white rather than egg, low sugar tomato sauce, whole wheat pasta, etc.). It was fabulous. It is out of his book. No one knew it was anything other than veggie lasagna. We had a big tossed salad with fresh grown tomato, fat free feta, fresh basil, cucumbers and green onion (using his recipe for a standard italian dressing - red wine vin, olive oil, herbs, and dijon mustard). For dessert I used another recipe from the book for a berry crumble. Oh my, was it good. 5 cups of fresh berries (I used strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries), and one diced apple tossed with splenda and whole wheat flour then topped with soft marg spread (you know, the good kind no poly or sat fat), old fashioned oats, splenda brown sugar and chopped walnuts and cinnamon - baked in the even and served warm when the topping was brown and fruit bubbly. It was amazing and was at least 8-10 servings and totally green light GI!

Night before last I made his curry chicken recipe and, I must say, I am a curry lover, and it was delish as well. It's worth the investment for that second book because it's loaded with good stuff! The chicken curry though was from the first book.

Anyway, it's great to hear that we are all making progress on becoming healthier us this summer. Here's to continued success!

Sharon

trinityroyal

Sharon (LDM), thanks for the reminder. I do have the Living with the G.I. Diet book, but I just haven't spared a thought for cooking from a recipe. Gosh, what an oversight on my part. I will look through it and see if I can find some compliant desserts to replace the ones I've been making so far.

I'm so glad that you're benefiting from it. I found the same thing -- lots more energy, less hunger, huge and satisfying meals that suit my preferences, and a trimmer body.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Up all Night-Up 5 is going in the right direction. I'm glad you are still going to partial hospitalization. You are right that you need to not compare yourself to others.

Trinity-I love the things you are doing well!! Exercising with the kiddos sound fantastic! I'm sorry you aren't able to get in the dance classes. I know how much you enjoy them! The baking part is hard. I do o.k. this time of the year but come fall and winter-yikes!

Triple J-Wow-You are doing a fantastic job! Keep up the great work!

Sharon-I don't know much about the GI Program but it sounds great! I would love the chicken curry recipe!! The dessert sounds delicious as well! Glad it is working so well!!

LittleDudesMom

Sharon,

Here's the curry recipe (and if you love curry like I do, try the soup recipe I posted on the recipe thread):

"Green Light" Curry Chicken (GI)
Olive Oil or olive oil spray
1 medication onion, sliced (I used a large purple)
1 cup matchstick slice carrots
2 t curry powder, or more to taste (I have some spicy red curry powder that I used {and I did use more than 2 t} - from the Indian market - because I like my curry spicy; however, if you are not a fan of spicy curry you can just use the standard yellow curry blend or a red or green curry paste)
1 cup chopped celery
2/3 C uncooked basmati rice
1 medium apple, chopped
2 T raisins (raisins are normally not green light, but there are so few and they add to the flavor so they are "approved" for this recipe)
8 oz cooked skinless, boneless chicken breast

Spray oil in a nonstick skillet, then place over medium heat.
Add the onion and curry powder, stir to coat the onion then saute for 1 min
Add the carrots and celery, stir to mix, then saute for 1 min
Add the rice apple, raisins, and 1 cup of water, and stir to mix. Cover the skillet, reduce the heat, and let the curry simmer until all the liquid is absorbed.
Add the cooked chicken and stir to mix. Cook until the chicken is heated through about 2 min or so and then serve.
2 servings

Note - I like my curry a little "looser" so I added a little 99% fat free chicken stock when I added the chicken. In the "old days" I would have added some coconut milk!

You can also use brown rice if you prefer.

M

ML

You are all doing amazing!

I have been much more active this summer in large part because it's the only way to get manster out there. So he does his roller blades while I walk. I walk a lot. I also started doing some 8 pound weights for arms and some leg work (lunges and calf lifts). I've lost about 6 pounds and 2 inches of my waist which is where my fat has taken up residence. I have another 6 (or 8) to go!

LittleDudesMom

ML - good for you for finding something physical to benefit both of you! Getting those difficult child's out there and physical is a great thing, especially when they are manster's age!

As 50 creeps, the pounds change their coordinates!

Sharon