Mikey? Just checkin' on you....

jbrain

Seeing Deb's post made me remember how detrimental difficult child 1's presence in our house was to difficult child 2--in fact, difficult child 1 is what made difficult child 2 a difficult child instead of a easy child! And concern for difficult child 2 is what made me strong enough to kick out difficult child 1 when she was 18. I decided difficult child 2 had to come first and I would never allow difficult child 1's needs to come before difficult child 2's again.
Jane

Mikey,

You know they are right.

Trying to keep track of weedy's comings & goings is not working. Stop. He is not listening and wifey is not backing you up.

If you leave, Dancer will get over it. She will not be the first kid whose father left the house. At least you are not leaving for the secretary. It does not ave to be forever. You may have to briefly leave the family to save the family. You can explain that to Dancer. She's no dummy. Rent a room for awhile and leave until wife gets fed up enough to throw him out herself.

Or, keep doing what you are doing. How's that working for ya, by the way?

I can force McWeedy into rehab to stay at home, and threaten to bust him with his diversion officer for any infraction - then enjoy 12-18 months of animosity from McWeedy and wife.

On that score, you are already enjoying McWeedy's animosity and some measure from wife as well... and 12 to 18 months is not forever. You can detach from McW's shenanigans, from wife's failure to face facts, and let everyone know that the Diversion Officer is going to get the low down. Is there any possible outcome from doing this that is worse than the status quo? If wife kicks you out of the house over it, well, you were thinking of leaving anyway; and Dancer would hopefully see that you have McW's best interests in mind and that wife is enabling, and not hold you to blame. Also on the matter of custody, while it is true what you said about all things being equal, a court would award custody to wife, the fact is that all things are not equal. Besides the fact that wife is tolerating the drug/alcohol abuse, Dancer herself has a big say at her age, and though she would probably elect to stay with mom, joint custody or at the very least liberal visitation are likely outcomes I would think. Not that I am counseling divorce, mind you, just encouraging you to try to take a step back and evaluate things objectively.

Mikey

Psycho Gorilla Dad
Thanks, everybody. Pondering the replies, pondering my reply. For now, the Cold War in Mikey's house goes on, but at a slower pace.

Back when I have my mind a little more in order....

Mikey

Mikey

Psycho Gorilla Dad
Well, I guess it's put up or shut up time. This is the second Friday in a row that McW has decided to go on walkabout and disappear. This time, we took his car away, but no matter. One of the Pothead Posse stepped up to give a 'bro a ride.....

McWeedy was warned that the only thing keeping him in the house was the protection of his mother. Well, it was wife's birthday on Wednesday, and we were to celebrate it tomorrow. I asked (begged) him to not ruin it; if he didn't want to go out, okay, but could he PLEASE try to not cause problems this weekend?

But no, he had to go and step out for the night. He lied to our face last weekend that he was going to an "18 to enter, 21 to drink" club, and would be home by 12. Didn't show up till Saturday evening. Lost his car and phone for nearly a week. He just got them back, and pulled this stunt

The only difference is, this time wife texted him and said "If you don't come home tonight, I don't think you'll have a home to come back to".

My guess is he's tying one on for a second Friday in a row, and knows that the drug tests will only show hot for booze within 12 hours of consumption. He's playing craps that he won't get tested tomorrow. I could be wrong, but my Spidey-sense says I'm pretty close to the truth; its either booze, or some exotic drug he thinks won't show up on a drug screening. But, whatever it is, he's concocting stories that would make Walt Disney seem like an intern.

Here's a laugher (laughing to not cry, is more like it). Supposedly, McWeedy was going out to dinner with his girlfriend. We told him he had to bring the car home, and his Mom asked him to come home after dinner. As if by magic, his car shows up out front, but McW never pops his head in. Doesn't answer his phone, either. The night has swallowed him again. I finally had enough and drove over to Weedette's house. She was there, and said that she hadn't seen McW all day.

Now, here's the kicker. I was so angry I started calling every friend and phone number I had for him from his cell phone bills. I finally found him, and asked if he enjoyed dinner. "Yep". "Funny", I said, "your girlfriend said she hasn't seen you all day"..

Pregnant pause, followed by "Yes she did. I don't know what she's talking about". So, now, McW's stooped to calling his own girlfriend a liar to enable his "Friday night free-flights". This time, though, he may end up flying out the door.

I should be happy. This is what I want. This is what McWeedy NEEDS. This is what the rest of my kids need. But my heart is breaking for wife. She's tried so hard. GOD how she's tried. To see her finally defeated is killing me. All this on her birthday (the big four-oh). And, to top it off, the docs still don't know what's causing her nearly constant joint pain (Percocet and Lortab barely make a dent in it any more), and we JUST ruled out bone cancer on Wednesday.

Happy birthday, wife, you don't have cancer :confused:

So, depending on how wife plays it, McW may be packing this weekend. We're supposed to take wife out for her birthday dinner tomorrow night, and celebrate aftewards with a Cold Stone cake. Instead, McButtHead is going to flush the whole thing in the toilet and finally force wife's hand. It's going to kill her, but if she's ready it has to be done. He was warned...

But it's going to hurt me to watch her do it, knowing what she's going through in other areas of her life right now.

But, to rant for a moment, why do difficult child's pick the absolute worst times to act out? If he'd tried, he couldn't have picked a more painful way to hurt the one person still fighting for him in the family. He couldn't have picked a worse time to completely derail so many positive things happening for him in his life. He's an addict, but can he really be that stupid? I just don't understand.

He has no money, and agreed to be "a good boy" if we'd pay the diversion fees, drug test fees, and substance abuse therapy fees mandated by the court. Less than a month into it, he's already pushed me to telling him to find his own way to pay for this stuff (on top of his other bills). He's ticking off the people that can pay the money to keep him on diversion and out of jail. I just don't understand...

He just started college part-time this month, and his first essay in English was turned in earlier than the rest of the class - and drew RAVE reviews from his teacher. She even pulled him aside to tell him what a wonderful writer he is, and that he has a natural gift. But he's going to flush that down the tube by alienating himself from the only means he has of paying for college. I just don't understand.

He's scheduled to have his artwork on display (and on sale) at the local Starbucks in my office park. It'll be up for a month, and you have to get on a waiting list after they decide they want your work. But, that'll go up in smoke too when he gets the boot because he can't pay for the fraiming Starbucks requires for a display. He's throwing it away, and I just don't understand.

His Graphic Design teacher fought like a fury to make the HS take him back for his final semester. It's an advanced program (like a magnet school), and she said that he's good enough to graduate with an endorsement in Graphic Design on his transcript. He'd be the fourth person to get the endorsement since the program started, and it's significantly harder to get than the more general Technology endorsement (which is what everyone else gets). He's good enough to get this, despite starting the program a year late, and being expelled from school for the final 6 weeks of the previous semester. All that talent, and a teacher willing to fight for him so he can get an extremly difficult endorsment - and he's tossing it in the toilet; Why? I just can't understand why.

Despite being on diversion, he seemed to finally make the turn. Guess I was wrong. For all the good things happening to him and for him, he succumbs to the seemingly uncontrollable urge to hang himself. What's the saying? A lemming never met a cliff it didn't want to jump from? I've known it was coming, could see the train wreck happening in slow motion, but it's still hard to watch - and even harder to watch wife's pain as a result.

It's all I can do to not toss him on his duff with an o soto gari when he struts home, and then choke his skinny butt till he's out cold. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that there's a part of me that wants to inflict pain on this child of mine - I'm ashamed to admit that for all my wonderful talk of forgiveness, when this happens all my good karma goes into hibernation and the dark side takes over.

As much as wife feels the need to protect McW from me, I feel the even stronger need to protect her from him! I want him to feel a consequence that he truly fears and understands.:furious::furious::furious:

No, I won't do it, but I feel the need to "confess" the strong desire to visit harm apon him for his actions. I'll find some other way to get the venom out of my system.

So, there's the update. Right now it's wife's call what happens.

:slap::slap:

And just like an NFL instant replay, McW calls as I'm writing this. He's outside calling because the door is locked, it's cold, and he wants in. I ask why I should let him in. I dunno.. After making him sweat, I open the door, read him the riot act, and then let him know he's probably going to have to pack tomorrow if wife gives the nod. Stinks like cigs, but I can't tell if he's drunk or stoned.

No, I didn't assault him (although it was mighty tough to hold back). I sent him on his way to bed because I felt wife will have enough to deal with tomorrow, without having to bail me out of jail as well.

I guess I'll just have to see what the morning brings, and find some kind of way to keep wife's birthday from being any worse than it already is.

Mikey

meowbunny

One, wife has said that's it before, so I wouldn't be holding my breath that this will be her final straw.

You have youth and immaturity, the arrogance of youth, the fear of what everything is doing to you, your relations with others, the pull of the booze and drugs and you're asking why? BECAUSE HE CAN!!! He may also be doing it as a way to cry for help. He can't stop himself (not won't, can't -- poor impulse, youth, arrogance all factor in plus the addictions themselves) so is asking for someone to stop him the only way he can. Why else would you park by a school (and find ways to call attention to yourself) with drugs in your car? Why else deliberately pull every stunt you can to rub it in to those who love you that you're using and abusing? The. drugs. are. winning. and he doesn't like to lose.

Now, I have a question. Why are you searching the McW? It does no good, causes you nothing but grief and I'm sure your wife a lot of pain. She likes the ignorance is bliss policy. When you search and get the answers you know you're going to get what does it solve? To prove you're right? BFD! If an act is simply an act in futility, why bother doing it? I'd understand if you would drag him home each and every time you find him. I'd understand if the purpose was so you could call the police and his PO about the violations. Heck, I'd even understand if it was just to make sure he's really safe. But, it's for none of those reasons! What do you get out of finding out you're right?

I hope for McWeedy's sake that your wife means it this time around and actually kicks him out but I'm not holding my breath. I think the only one who believes it will happen is you. Good luck.

wakeupcall

Hi Mikey

Most likely wife's birthday is already ruined, so over-trying will be a waste. I can only speak for myself if I were in your shoes, which I'm not...yet, but I would keep it low-key. She's probably not in any kind of mood to celebrate. husband whaled on ds a coupled of days ago for prolonged, persistent disrespect. It does no good and I didn't speak to husband for two days. My ds is only 12, but I see him going down McWeedy's path..oh, so clearly. Sometimes all the interventions in the world won't make a difference. Your ds (if I may call him that) at least has a talent that he may be able to expend on some day. I don't see a thing at all in MY ds. Mikey, you've heard this before, but he won't stop or get better till HE wants it. The havoc he's inflicting on the rest of your family is terribly sad and as the mother I can only imagine wife's pain. Like most of our ADHD + children, they want what they want NOW....and the h*** with you or anything else.

I'm so sorry, Mikey....for wife also.....but most of all, for McWeedy. I think you are BOTH wonderful parents and have lots of love for ds. Some day, I hope he appreciates it.

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Sorry to hear the latest, Mikey. I can relate to your lament of 'why do they always pick the worst possible time?'

I've had birthdays ruined, Christmases ruined, the eve of my second wedding ruined...and the day of my Mom's memorial service ruined. That one hurt the most.

I don't know why it is, but they have a talent for ruining things. I guess, in my case, looking back, it's mostly because I let it.

Hugs to you & wife. 40 is the new 30, you know! Glad she got a clean bill regarding bone cancer!! Wouldn't be too surprised to find the joint pain is related to or aggrevated by stress....

Peace

DDD

I'm not a betting woman but I am a doubtful one. Don't get too prepared for the "big move". My gut says that your wife is not ready
but she is trying to prepare. All of this "realization" "grief" "anger" "despair" "frustration" "confusion" etc. etc. has to "cook in the pot of each parents heart and soul". Some are ready at the al dente stage
and others aren't ready until beyond mush.

The stress and stain of waiting for the other shoe to fall can cause all types of physical and emotional symptoms. I'm sorry its' impacting you
all. DDD

Mikey

Psycho Gorilla Dad
Well, here's the deal...

Talked to wife this morning, and she's pretty upset that McWeedy can find cash for booze (and other stuff) while we're paying to keep his skinny buttocks out of jail. So I calmly suggested that if McW has money for booze, he can spend it instead on his drug tests.

Of course, that would mean he would actually have to STAY at work, and not leave early every chance he got. So, bright and early, wife was the one to spring it on him: we're NOT going to pay for his drug tests any more. 17 bucks a pop, once or twice a week. We'll pay for two more to give him a chance to start working again (that'll get him through a week). After that, pay to play or go to jail.

I followed it up with another caveat, and wife backed me up: There's a 700 dollar supervision fee for diversion; I paid half up front, and the other half is due at the end of March. I said that if he pulled another all-nighter without permission, he could come up with the balance of his supervison fee as well, or go to jail. wife said "Yep".

In keeping with the gradual response idea, wife also suggested that he'll have to start paying rent if things get worse. She's already refusing to wash any more of his clothes.

Don't know how long this will last, but at least it's a start. The look on McW's face when wife announced that we weren't paying for any more drug tests was priceless!

I also took McW's phone away, probably for good. He texted his 'bro last night saying "nah, dude, I have to save my money for beer tonight". Earlier this evening, one of his drug buddies sent him a text asking if he wanted some Xanax. I called him back and said "thanks for the kind offer, but my son is on Diversion and will go to jail if he does drugs. So it would be in his - and YOUR - best interest if you stopped offering drugs to him".

I'm sure I'll catch hell from McWeedy for crabbing at his so-called "friend", but I'm sick of sitting back and doing nothing. And wife isn't on board with the "hit the road" solution, but she's taking the lead on some more serious consequences.

In a sick sort of way, I find myself looking at this from the outside, and I wonder why I'm more aggressive and less scared. Pushing him out, he could die. He could end up in jail. He could end up in any one of a host of other bad situations. But, despite that, I'm pushing as hard as I dare to bring the pain. I'm even considering bringing his phone to his PO on Monday.

Oh well, we'll see how it goes. It's another weekend night, and I'm sure McW has something special planned.:mad::mad::mad:

Mikey

wakeupcall

Mikey, sounds like you and wife have a plan. Just having a plan makes one feel better....and moving ahead. I can only imagine McW's face when wife laid down the law!! Hehe! Fun time is over, McW! Take a DEEP breath, you are a great father, Mikey.

From my perspective, you deserve a break today. How about watching the Super Bowl and losing yourself while watching what could be an undefeated season for the Patriots!!!!

ck1

Hi Mikey: Good to say that wife is moving towards getting tougher. Although, I wouldn't have agreed to pay any for any of his fines, tests, fees, etc. and certainly wouldn't give him another chance or else you won't pay the remaining half of the diversion, but that's just me. Again, it's good to see that you and she are moving towards being on the same page.

What the terms of diversion? If he has a curfew, aren't you bound to report that he isn't following it? Did you see the thread that Ant'sMom recently started, it's a letter written by a women who goes to the "Parent Survival Skills Training" meetings. It's a group started by two probation officers (one is a supervisor) of the juvenile D&A division. Anyway, I go to these meetings. When my son first came home from Residential Treatment Facility (RTF), they told me it's impossible for a PO to call to check on every kid (neither of them are my son's PO). As PO's, they rely on the parents to get the information. When my difficult child tried telling me that he'd only be caught if PO happened to call to check on him, I said NO NO NO, PO will know everything because I WILL TELL HIM!!! When difficult child failed a drug test last week, I sent an email to his PO. The drug difficult child took was an OTC and now he's saying he just took a larger dose because he didn't feel well, but I don't believe him and I don't care. It was wrong.

Anyway, my point of this is, since wife is moving in the right direction of holding McW to higher standards, maybe you can nudge her to actually talk with his diversion officer and let him know what's really going on. You're not doing McW any favors by allowing him to do whatever he wants. How is this preparing him for life? He's not going to suddenly just stop some day. He obviously needs help, the sooner the better.

Good luck!!!! Doing the right thing is not easy or free of pain, we do it because it's right and our kids (G'sFG and easy child's) depend on us to be good role models.

DDD

I'm proud of wife for taking the initiative and taking a stand. That is a huge first step. As a total stranger to your marriage and relationship, I still will suggest that this might NOT be the time for you to become more
assertive and involved. If you start pushing, my gut tells me that your wife may backoff her new stance. You've already done everything you felt you could do and said more than you probably should have said. It is HER turn to take the lead. Chill, Mikey. DDD

Mikey

Psycho Gorilla Dad
CK1: no curfew: he was an "adult" when he did the crime, he's an "adult" now that he's "doing the time". So, no curfew.

Adult, of course, is a very loose appleation that could only be applied to my son by (a) the current legal system, and (b) one of three one-eyed, drunk, aborignal shamen that live in New Guinea. No other human (or sub-human) with more than two functioning neurons in their head would mistake my son for an adult.

Also, since he's an "adult", we're not bound by the law to do anything. As far as "the law" is concerned, we're no more than landlords. I did ask, though, and his DO said if I could bring him hard proof that McW was breaking the terms of his diversion, then he could order a spot check. But that's it - nothing more. And if the test shows clean, unless I have video or something else concrete there's nothing they can do. I'm starting to feel that Diversion is the County's way of keeping the jail population to a minimum and still bring in a few more bucks. God knows that after a month, McWeedy's feeling antsy and hasn't been scared into doing anything better - only to avoid the drugs that will show up on a test.

Oh, and he tortures us as punishiment for standing between him and his fix. Ah well, it may be a sick thought, but the DO did say that less than 50 percent of people on diversion complete the program successfully. The rest end up in jail, rehab, or something else because they can't even stay within the simplistic rules set for diversion. Given that I'm SURE he will regress the day his diversion ends, I find myself hoping he'll get busted, and end up in rehab (maybe get some help), or jail (out of my house, no more druggie drama, and maybe he'll be scared by that event; he's a wuss with a capital "W" when you dig into him a bit).

DDD: Thanks for the advice. wife did the driving, I just held the map and gave a few directions. Seems to be the only way it'll work for now. It may be that the only thing this "new" stance will save is my marriage, but McW's going to go his own way, regardless. So I'll go where this path takes me, for now.

Mikey

Mikey

Psycho Gorilla Dad
Mikey,

You know they are right.

Trying to keep track of weedy's comings & goings is not working. Stop. He is not listening and wifey is not backing you up.

If you leave, Dancer will get over it. She will not be the first kid whose father left the house. At least you are not leaving for the secretary. It does not ave to be forever. You may have to briefly leave the family to save the family. You can explain that to Dancer. She's no dummy. Rent a room for awhile and leave until wife gets fed up enough to throw him out herself.

Or, keep doing what you are doing. How's that working for ya, by the way?

BBK, ya know I love to hear from you....

To be honest, I've really backed off a LOT on keeping McWeedy's homing beacon on my radar. Lately, it's only when he's intentionally inflicted gross damage and pain on the rest of the family that I release the hounds. And the ONLY reason I can do it is so that I can use it against him later.

That sounds crazy, but you have to understand that because of ADD I have the memory of a goldfish. And McW knows it. He uses my poor memory against me in arguments all the time, and wife backs him up because she knows I can't even remember to breathe half the time.

So, when McWeedy goes off the reservation, I sic the truth squad on him not so I can start another fruitless argument, but so I can have valid reasons that I can remember to cause him consequences (at least for transgressions in the few areas I still control).

It's as much about keeping wife's respect as it is keeping McWeedy in check (which is impossible). But at least, if wife knows I'm not simply going postal over nothing, she's left with having to defend a remorseless McWeedy for no other reason than she's his mother.

And that's okay by me. I just want to end the smear campaign McWeedy launches (and wife believes) every time I try to hold him accountable for his poor choices.

Sounds stupid, I know, but at this point the wedge McWeedy has driven between me and my wife has done more than give McW something to exploit; its given him something that can break up my marriage. And, if nothing else, I won't let him do that without at least proving the lies he's trying to foist.

But, that said, I understand what you're saying. As always, my friend, thanks for your reply.

Mikey