***"Mimi"***

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Okay, so throw tomatoes at me but I refuse to be called "Grandma"--- it reminds me too much of my Grandma who was an old woman the day I was born and grew older by the decade every year.

Of course, now that I'm in the same position, I'll bet I'm 10 years older than she was when I was born, but who's counting. :rofl:

So I have opted for "Mimi." I told Rob and Heather that today when they called to give me THE NEWS.

:faint:

Suz

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, Yiddish for 'grandma' is 'bubbe' (from Russian 'baba'). My mother, looking at the grandmas in her family, refused to be a 'bubbe'.

She's a 'mee-ma'

As a funny sidelight, there is a Chinese restaurant in Chicago by the same name and it's a pity mum hates Chinese food as I've always wanted to take her there just as a joke.

DammitJanet

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!

Jumping up and down!

Welcome to the club!!!!!! When...how...sputter...omg...omg.

Im so thrilled!

Ephchap

From one Mimi to another ... Congrats !

Mimi for me was actually difficult child's girlfriend's idea. Her aunt is called that by her granddaughter, and she thought it was cute. Her mom is called Coco. Don't ask me where that one came from. lol.

You'll love being a grandmother ! Again, congrats !

Deb

Kathy813

Staff member
Congratulations, Suz! I think "Mimi" is cute! There was a sitcom on a while ago where the grandmother insisted on being called "Goddess" instead of grandma.

I like Mimi better. :thumbsup:

~Kathy

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Deb, as you know, I got the idea of Mimi from a coworker. It was very funny that we both heard it around the same time as I'd never heard it before.

I will NOT love being a grandmother...but I will love being a Mimi. :D

Janet, I knew you'd be jumping up and down and was looking forward to your reaction. :flower: Heather is only about 3 weeks pregnant so it must have happened right before Rob's accident.

"Oh my" is right, Witz. ;)

Thanks for the congrats, Lia! :)

GN, I've loved "bubbe" since I saw the movie "Crossing Delancey." Charming movie and charming bubbe character.

Kathy, I think Fran has ownership of "Goddess" so I'm happy with Mimi.

Suz

N

Nomad

Oh my oh my.

I'm "almost" at a loss for words. LOLOLOL!!!

Congratulations! I DO love the idea of Mimi...and I might use this someday or some version of it. It's adorable!!! :D I have a cup that says "Goddess." I also have one (older cup) that says Princess or some such thing. I've moved up in the world. LOLOLOL!

Wow....your a "Mimi" The soap opera of our difficult child world continues.....my oh my oh my. Hey, babies are CUTE/adorable and FUN!!!!! AND when they poop, you hand them back to their parents. You get the good stuff...'bout time, I think.

(hugs)

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
AND when they poop, you hand them back to their parents. You get the good stuff...'bout time, I think.

I could not agree with you more, Nomad. Thanks! :D

Suz

everywoman

Congrats Sue. I'm called Big Momma---It's a southern thing. I could not imagine being called grandma or granny when JJ was born. I Big Momma. husband is Pepa. His other grandparents are MeMe and (ready for this) Granddude.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Congratulations, Suz! Wow! It's been some roller coaster ride for you lately.

I loved Crossing Delancey and I loved the Bubbe. I was jealous that I didn't have one.

Mimi is the lovely soprano in Puccini's La Bohême who dies of tuberculosis. I never knew that could be a granny name.

DammitJanet

The only thing I didnt want to be called was Grammy because that was my moms name but I found myself messing up and referring to myself as that a time or two...lol. I am perfectly happy being called Grandma! Actually I think mine is more Gra-maw phonetically.

You may not have been to overwhelmingly thrilled about this news prior to Rob's accident but this is very good news now. Just think, here is a new life that is a part of him that is going to be going forward no matter what. No matter what foibles he gets into he has a piece of himself out there. It was meant to be.

Oh gosh I am so thrilled for you. This is such a good thing. I see a little girl in your future. I think its a little Bobbie Sue!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Congratulations Suz.
Chasing a 2 yr old this week proves that it's good to have kids that are returnable to their parents. On the other hand they bring life to a house that is incomparable. It feels like hope. I have delighted in the new things they discover.
My mom is Nonna to our niece.
Her other granny is "lita". I think that's short for abuelita.

I don't mind what grandchildren call me. In my mind I'll always be a 45yr old with a distorted sense of goddessness. It's how I keep from feeling old and on no consequence.

I actually wanted to be called Grandma, since the matriarchs in our family were always called Nana. I didn't want to be another Nana, as MY mom currently has that role. My 16 month old granddaughter still can't get the word grandma yet, so I am just Daddy. But so is everyone else.....

DammitJanet

LOL MLA...I thought Keyana was attempting to call me Memaw for a long time when all along she was calling all the females Mama. Now I have figured out I am Grandma, her mother is Mommy or Lindsey whichever she chooses to call her, and her other grandmother is Momma.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Congratulations Mimi. Wow, when this kid goes for the excitement factor he just had never given you a break. I'm glad he has pulled through to get a little shock of his own. ;)

Have you told Richard yet? What do you suppose he'll want to be called? :tongue:

Congratulations!