Miracle of Technology

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Normally I'm not all that "in" to technology. I don't mind it, per se, but I don't always believe it does us the favors those developing it want us to believe. :tongue:

But tonight...........K IMed her brother. They must've got talking web cams, because they each have the same type of laptops. Next thing I know Travis is hollering for me to get into the livingroom quick.

And I suddenly find myself looking at K and the grands via web cam. :beautifulthing:

We had no mike so couldn't talk.....typing while sharing laptops wasn't easy. lol And K and her husband were juggling 3 kids who all wanted to see Nana at the same time.:D We waved. We blew kisses. And yes I ate those kisses right up!!! It was truely wonderful! And the kids got a huge kick out of it.......asking if we could do it everyday! :rofl:

Alex says I'm beautiful. (i wonder why only males under the age of ten think so? ;) ) lol

Next week I get my FASFA loan refund. And guess, just guess what I'm buying myself??? A web cam and a mike!!! :D

I swear, if any of you have family, most especially grandkids, far away....it's priceless. I'd give my left arm to see them in person, but this is the next best thing. Far better than a telephone call.

And with K's phone connection a disaster........we can rarely reach her by phone.......again the computer is priceless. And it doesn't cost long distance. lol

Wow. I am soooooooooooo happy tonight.:bigsmile:

How wonderful , it is the next best thing! Remember when they did this on The Jetson's? I would have never that that would come to fruition. (Now if we could have access to a robot maid, or press a button and dinner would come out, I would be quite happy!)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
That is so awesome...and almost unbelievable until you actually see it. Sometimes I am just amazed at the seemingly smallest simple conveniences that we enjoy...like being able to have friends all over the globe through one internet site and being able to call someone on my cell phone anywhere. It's just amazing.

Enjoy!!

donna723

Lisa, I'm so happy for you! I can't even imagine how wonderful it must have been to actually see them all!

Is that equipment very expensive? I'll have to look in to that ... seeing as how my first grandbaby, due in May, will be 600 miles away!

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
We use skype, which is free to download. The only drawback is you have to agree in advance to a time to be on the computer, otherwise you can miss each other. I have an apple computer with built in camera and microphone, so its really easy to use. The cameras are fairly easy to use, but look for one with a built in microphone so you don't have to attach several different things. Also if you have an older computer it may not work, needs a good usb connection.....

Moderators, if I wasn't supposed to mention a brand name, then please alter and anyone can pm and I can give you the program name to download.....

mstang67chic

Going Green
Daisy...I don't know how new Travis's laptop is or K's laptop but a lot of them have built in mics. Or, you can get an inexpensive one to plug in.

Another idea for you to keep in touch (you will need speakers and a mic though) is some of the IM programs. I don't know which one you guys were using but Yahoo has a feature that you can "call" a person that you are IM'ing. I've used it to talk to a friend in Michigan and it's not bad. The quality does depend on the quality of your mic and speakers but it works and it's FREE!!!

I bet your grandkids are still talking about "seeing" Nana! Sounds like great fun...I'm glad you got to do it!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Donna, Travis and K's webcam's are built into their computers. K has a mic but Travis doesn't......or hasn't figured out how to work it yet.

I'm planning on getting a cheap webcam from walmart and a mic to plug into my computer. They run about 20.00 and aren't hard to use. Although I haven't done it in about 3 yrs.

And Travis keeps talking about some set up he can do using the video game system (xbox) and rigging it thru the TV so that the whole family can see each other at the same time. And if he does it......I'd have to let him explain it cuz I haven't a clue when it goes that far. lol

But OMG it is truely wonderful. I want to reach in and grab them and not let them go. :D

Now I've got to get my Mom computer literate so she can join in on the fun. She bought a laptop, my brother in law "taught" her how to use. (yeah, right) So I sent off for those CDs that the guy teaches you step by step. She just got them. She is sooooo jealous of me right now. lol ;)