Miss KT's BD party and the return of the kindergartener

KTMom91

We had Miss KT's party last Saturday because Hubby and I have our class reunion tonight...30 years. I know. We're getting old. My brother and family went to Disneyland last weekend because their kids started school on Monday, so my mom scheduled a second get-together today, so they could celebrate with her. Apparently it's a disaster. Miss KT went over to my mom's about 10 am, and the texts started about noon. She's bored. She's hungry. She's tired. The phone calls started about 3 pm. "No one's talking to me. Everyone's ignoring me. I didn't want a second party. Why did I have to do this? Nobody better sing to me. I wanna come home. There's no one my age to talk to. This is not how I wanted to spend my last weekend in town." You get the picture.

I explained, as calmly as I could, that this is something you have to do sometimes for family, it's for her, go talk to Nana or go watch TV with the others. Be pleasant. And then...the kindergartener returned. "Why did they have to go to Disneyland last weekend? They could have gone this weekend instead, and then I wouldn't have to be sitting here being ignored!" She's determined to have a lousy time, throw a tantrum, and make everybody pay for it. It's not like she has a bunch of friends she'd be hanging out with, she could have asked people over and didn't. Plus it's my fault for having her in August because everyone is busy this time of year going back to school, getting that last vacation in, etc. and they can't come to a party. Her last phone call was serious whining and tears.

I have several thoughts on this. Separation anxiety...she's been velcroed to my butt most of the summer, and it's driving me nuts. Or...a former boyfriend has recently broken up with someone, and she doesn't want to leave now because there's a chance they'll get back together. Or...she's scared out of her mind at being on her own and having to deal with stuff that I usually take care of because it's my house. Or...her current bizarre sleep schedule has thrown her off her medications. Or...for the first time in ages, she isn't taking her medications.

Ideas? We have three more days to get through, and I'd like to make them as painless as possible.

susiestar

Roll With It
Stop answering the phone and returning the texts. Let her deal with this on her own. She is, after all, an adult now. Have her show you her medications when she takes them or leave you alone for the day. For the most part, do whatever calms you and try to stay out of her way. Isn't this the gma who thought she could do little wrong and interfered a lot? Seems to me that if it is, the gma should get to deal with her today.

Ignore the calls and texts. Turn the phone off if you cannot. Ditto the home phone. Or go for a walk in a park - take a book to read and a drink and sit under a tree. Or go visit a friend of YOURS. Just get AWAY from this.

Nothing good can come out of responding to the kindergartener, in my opinion.

KTMom91

After she left my dog out today, she's on the list, and she knows it. We'll see if she's somehow managed to catch a clue by tomorrow.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I was just gonna say...staying at nana's for 3 days pretty much should exclude you from the drama.

When she calls or texts, tho, just remind her that she couldn't stand to live with you and chose to live with Nana, so Nana gets to deal...