Missy just scared the bejeebers outta me.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I told them he was trained not to go with a stranger, been trained not to. But he did. I needed him to, so it helped. I was glad but also concerned. Years of training hand no effect when someone approached him.

Yes, it's been shown over and over that "Stranger Danger" goes right out the window if the 'Stranger' has something cool like a big friendly puppy, a neat gadget, a cool truck or can think of a story that causes the child to panic and reach out for help.

I don't know how to solve it. My kids are now 10 and 13 and I STILL worry about their judgment. Especially now that difficult child is at an age where she figures "she can handle it".

:(

--DaisyF

TerryJ2

Definitely give your Jack Russell a treat!
So sorry that Missy wasn't the least bit worried. You never know with-kids ... but she sounds too trusting.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am glad everyone is safe. I hope the dog got a nice treat! I think another dog is a great idea.

If you think talking on the phone with someone who experienced a kidnapping attempt and got away safely, let me know. A man tried to kidnap me on the way home from school when I was 11.

He knew ALL sorts of details about my family. Names, that my dad was a shop teacher, even my uncle's name. He did everything he could to convince me to get in his car - even offered to get me ice cream on the way to the hospital (ruse was that my dad was injured in the shop class he taught at school and this man was sent to get me).

I was blessed to have an aunt and uncle who were volunteer fire fighters and life squad members (paramedics). They drilled it into us that in an emergency FAMILY would be sent to get us, not a stranger. That if a stranger said that it was a lie and not to go with them.

I actually suppressed it after calling my Gma to make sure she hadn't heard anything about Dad being hurt. It came back to me in a rush after seeing an Oprah show on kidnapping. Wiz was about 18 months and I was so glad he was napping because I was shaking and crying and a total mess for about an hour.

So if hearing a real experience from a real person would help, just let me know.

I am SO GLAD that none of you were hurt. Missy might be able to give the police a description of the truck - color, big or small, equipment in it, etc.... It might be helpful to have the police talk to her about the description so they can have details about this man. You never know if he was casing the house to come back later to rob you.